Search for content in message boards

Catherine Stringer

Catherine Stringer

Constance R. Bailey (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stringer, King
I'm looking for information on Catherine Stringer married George Washington King 8-30-1834 in Lawrence Co.,MS. The only child I know of they had was Samuel Sanders King.I would appreciate any information on this family line.

Thanks,Constance

Catherine Stringer

Posted: 13 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Armstrong
I have a copy of 1 of the 4 pages of a typewritten history of the Stringer family. The lady who had it (maiden name was Stringer) is now deceased and the family has not found the papers or copies of them. I do not know the original source of the data, but it was said to have been done by an elder member of her family. My printer failed after the first page, naturally, and I did not manage to copy the other pages.

Condensed version, as it was very repetitive:

Col John Stringer was born in England about 1590, came to the New World in 1621 and settled in the colony of Jamestown, VA,

Charles Stringer, a descendant of Col John Stringer, was born in NC about 1748. He maried Sally ?.

Simon Stringer, son of Charles and Sally, was born Jan 5, 1778 in NC, died Oct 21, 1866, Smith Co, MS. He married on Jun 7, 1802 in GA to Catherine Brinson b Feb 12, 1786, died about 1869 in Lawrence Co, MS., daughter of Matthew and Sabra [?] Brinson.

Children of Simon and Catherine:

1. Nancy Stringer b Mar 17, 1804 in GA.
2. Matthew Brinson Stringer b Jun 25, 1808, GA.
3. Catherine Stringer b Dec 28, 1810, GA. She married Washington King on Aug 3, 1834. They had a son, Simon B. Sanders King b Jun 2, 1836.
4. John S. H. Stringer b Feb 7, 1813 in Lawrence Co, MS. A note says that he was the father of Belle Chisholm.
5. Thomas M. Stringer b Jul 11, 1815, Lawrence Co, MS.
6. William H. Stringer b 1818, no location stated.
7. James Shepard Monroe Stringer b 1818, Lawrence Co, MS.
8. Simeon D. Stringer b Nov 30, 1822 or 1823, Lawrence Co.
9. Sarah Ann Jane Stringer b May 26, 1827, Lawrence Co.

There are 12 children of James S. M. Stringer and their spouses listed on this page. I do not have anything further. I hope this info may be of assistance. These names all tie in with my Bennett and Armstrong lines.

re: Catherine Stringer/

Jan Koellen (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HARTZOG, FELDER, DANIEL, LUPER, STRINGER, HICKMAN, HATTEN, WIGGINS, SNELL
On the Stringer family: my ggggm, Rachel Felder Hartzog, was supposed to have
married an Alexander Stringer after her husband George's death. Since she lived
in Lawrence County, he may have been from the area as well. I have their marriage
record in Mississippi & anecdotal records that they moved to Louisiana (maybe East
Feliciana) where one or both may be buried. I'm not sure of the death dates for
either, although she was a widow on the tax rolls in 1818 & was born c. 1770, so it
probably wasn't later than 1850-60 but probably much earlier. Is it possible that
Simon had a brother who settled in the Lawrence area with him?

Lofton, Stringer, Allen, Davis, Welch, Matthews, Reeves families

Dr. Carl Farinelli (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lofton, Stringer, Allen, Davis, Reeves, Matthews, Welch
My grandfather, Marion Lee Lofton (I believe some family members use the "Loftin" spelling) was married three times. His first wife, my grandmother, was Viola "Ola" Welch. I know very little about the Davis line but Uncle Nathan Lofton shared with me that Grandpa's parents were James W. Lofton (perhaps spelled Loftin at his generation) and Narcissus Davis. His grandparents on his father's side were James Riley Loftin and Sarah? Stringer. Do you know if this is the same Sarah Stringer that you have listed?

Further information on my line include the following:
The parents of James Riley were Ezekiel Loftin, Jr. and Jane Ann Allen. Ezikiel Loftin, Sr. was married to Jennie (Virginia?) Linder. She was possibly descended from a German by the name of Ludwig Linder. Ezekiel, Sr. was the son of Benonia Loftin and his second wife, Susannah Burtonshall (daughter of Richard and Margaret? Burtonshall). Benonia's father and grandfather were both named Leonard Loftin.

Grandma Lofton's parents were Timothy Lawrence Welch and Mary Etta Matthews. Her paternal grandparents were John Ira Welch and Catherine Bynum. John Ira was the son of Bryant Welch and "Sally" Martin. Bryant was the son of Richard Welch and Mary Stuart. Grandma Lofton's maternal grandparents were Benajah Matthews and Mary ann Stewart.

I met all of the children (my aunts and uncles) of Grandpa Marion Lee Lofton and Grandma Ola Lofton when I was a young boy. These included: Melvin, Myrtle, Clara, Espie, Artis, Willie, and Doris. I never met Grandma Ola because she died as a result of the birth of my birth mother, Doris. I was raised by Myrtle and her two daughters Lillie Mae and Thelma "Kitty" Sterritt.

I was also told that we were related to the Reeves family, but I have not been able to track down that connection. I know that some of these "Reeves, Welch, Davis and Matthews cousins," as I heard them called, lived in Franklin Parish. I believe some may have also lived in Concordia Parish. I have also been told that some may have lived in La Salle, Winn and Catahoula Parishes.

Grandpa Marion Lee Lofton's second wife was Minnie Burkhalter. Their son is my Uncle Nathan Lofton. Marion Lee Lofton's third and last wife was Inez. I don't remember her maiden name. I only remember that I was told to call her "Aunt Inez" when I was a boy, even though she was my step-grandmother. She was much younger than Grandpa. I believe he was in his sixties and she in her fourties when she gave him three daughters: Gracie May, Ruby, and Barbara. Uncle Nathan gave me a copy of a 1900 Census card which lists the following in Franklin Parish, Louisiana:

Lofton, Marion L.

color: W Birth: Oct. 1880 age:19 Birthplace: Miss.

Lofton, Ola Relationship:W Birth Aug 1884 Age: 15 Birthplace: Miss.

Melvin J. Relationship: S Birth Aug 1899 Age:9/12 Birthplace: La.

Apparently Grandpa Lofton had already moved from MS to LA in 1900. His and Grandma Lofton's families were, I am told, the Lofton (sometimes spelled Loftin), Davis, Welch, Reeves, and Matthews families originally from Lawrence Co., and perhaps Jones Co. and Covington Co. MS.

Uncle Nathan also gave me a copy of the Union Presbyterian Church Cemetery grave stones as compiled by Lucille Dickinson Ainsworth titled "Cemeteries of Franklin Parish, Louisiana" which lists:

Marion Lee Lofton Oct. 1, 1881 - July 23, 1961.
Therefore, I am not sure if the 1800 or the 1801 birth year is correct.

You can contact me at cfar@intellex.com or at the following address:

Dr. Carl Farinelli,

Professor of English and Languages

College of Arts and Letters

Northeastern State University

Tahlequah, OK 74464

Lofton, Davis, Welch, Matthews, Reeves families

Posted: 16 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lofton, Davis, Welch, Matthews, Reeves
My maternal Grandfather was Marion Lee Lofton (sometimes spelled Loftin). He was born in 1880 or 1881. His mother's name was Narcissa Davis. Do you know if your GGrandfather had an Aunt Narcissa or other relative by that name? Let me know. I will contact you if I come across a common name.

CF

Davis name in Mississippi

Posted: 16 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2003 11:40AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
My family came from Lawrence County Mississippi. Perhaps there is a connection there? I don't know much but I believe my Great Grandfathers name was Harvey
Marvin Davis,
and his wife was Hattie Mae Davis. He was born March 26 in 1878. Let me know if this might work.

Lofton, Davis, Welch, Matthews, Reeves families

Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lofton, Davis, Welch, Matthews, Reeves
I guess that makes us cousins to some degree, right? Yes, my maternal grandparents were Marion Lee Lofton (Loftin) and Ola (Viola) Welch. Their children were Melvin, Myrtle, Clara, Artis, Espie, Willie, and Doris. Grandma died shortly after giving birth to my birth mother, Doris. Grandpa's second wife was Minnie Burkhalter. After they separated, she bore him a son, my Uncle Nathan Lofton, who lives in Baker, LA. Grandpa married a third time to a woman I knew as "Aunt Inez" when I was a little boy. She was much younger than Grandpa and bore him three daughters: Gracie, Ruby, and Barbara. These three daughters still live in Louisiana,I believe, but I have not seen them since I was a boy. I hope this information helps you in your search.
Carl

Lofton, Davis, Matthews, Welch

Bill Matthews (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Matthews
Dr. Carl,
Was you maternal grandfather married to Viola Welch, daughter of Timothy Lawrence Welch and Mary Etta Matthews, with children: Doris, Melvin, Artis, Clara and Myrtle?

Mary Etta Matthews parents were Benajah and Mary Ann Stewart. Benajah's were John and Mary Rogers; John's were Benjamin and Mary Elizabeth Sauls (this is my connection); Benjamin's father was also Benjamin - who was one of the children of Hugh and Martha Johnson (Isle of Wight, Va).

Cheers, Bill - matthews@pobox.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic