Search for content in message boards

New York 68th Infantry Regiment

New York 68th Infantry Regiment

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 6:57PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Wood
I have (I hope) an ancestor listed in the "Military Minutes of the Council of Appointment of the State of New York 1783-1821". He's noted to be in the 68th Infantry Regiment from Oneida County New York. I can't seem to find out any information on that regiment for the time period in the book. Everything I've been able to find is for the Civil War and beyond. Is there a reference somewhere for regiments listed in this book?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: New York 68th Infantry Regiment - Not Revolutionary War

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
You should be able to talk to your local Library's reference desk about getting the book via Inter-Library Loan.

Given the time period in the title, the mention might be for War of 1812, but might also be concerning a County Militia roster not involving any active duty at all.

This message board is about the Revolutionary War.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 9:34PM GMT
This book is viewable online in Google Books. The regiment's appointments are listed as of 1814; Lieutenant Colonal Sherman Barnes, Commanding.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:47PM GMT
Thanks for the replies to my question. I do have access to the book and did find my relative in it. I was hoping to find a bit more about the 68th somewhere else besides the book. It seems that this regiment only existed in this book.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:20AM GMT
You need to be searching in context of War of 1812, **not** Revolutionary War. Not all militia units saw active duty during War of 1812, either.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:53AM GMT
Thanks for the heads up. The War of 1812 matches up better date-wise with my relative.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic