Search for content in message boards

th New York Infantry(Hawkins Zouaves)

th New York Infantry(Hawkins Zouaves)

Posted: 20 May 2009 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,my name is Charles Mcdonald and i'm looking for descendants of soldiers who served in the 9th New York Infantry(Hawkins Zouaves).I collect images/photos for my personal use only.If anyone has any photos of the 9th New York Infantry soldiers and don't mind sharing I would be moe than happy to send you original Civil War bullets from the Battle of Camden/South Mills N.C. April 19,1862.I found them while relic hunting.The photo can be a litle before the Civil war,during or after.I do not sale,post or publish anything.Thanks for any and all help.

Re: th New York Infantry(Hawkins Zouaves)

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Military
I am a former American citizen (honourably discharged) who left the USA in 1968 and married "Down Under". I live in Australia presently but I am a New Zealander now. Got married here 40 years ago and stayed. I, strangely enough, am an historian and did my MA thesis on the New Zealand Maori and Land Alienation. I only became focused on my family history when I found out that my grandmother on my mother's side hid the fact that her father was German through and through - 100%. Her middle name was Ebba- which I always thought was pronounced "EH-BA" but a German friend raised in Bavaria informed me it was "EEE-BA" sort of like "EVA" with a "B". Her family name was Her father's name was Charles Severin Kress. I have learned to think laterally as an historian and I search just for SEVERIN KRESS thinking Charles' father gave him his OWN name as a middle name and BINGO- I found my Great Great Grandfather had himself come from Bavaria and was a Private in the New York 9th Hawkins Zouaves and wounded at Camden and Antietam. My own family name was Venditti (Italian) and, I believe Grandma (who also married an Italian - Criazzo- was disowned by the Kress family because- I BELIEVE they were Jewish. It is only a hunch but I never met or even HEARD any talk at ALL about the Kress family. I think because my mother's mother -MIldred Ebba Kress-married an Italian and a catholic- that she was "exiled". I have found that Severin was still alive in 1923 but- in the 1930 census- his wife is listed as WIDOW. She also was living in a $70,000 house at the height of the depression YET nowhere can I find Severin's death notices. I served with the 2nd battalion 5th US Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division and the First Division from 1964 to 1966- scan attached. I changed my name in 1971 because foreign names in New Zealand were frowned upon. I welcome any enquiries- Vince MacDonald
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions