Search for content in message boards

Boylan, Murray, Lowe & Fitzgerald families Co Westmeath

Boylan, Murray, Lowe & Fitzgerald families Co Westmeath

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Murray, Devaney, Boylan, Fitzgerald.
Hello
I'm hoping someone out there has some info on these families. My Paternal Grandparents were Patrick Murray & Catherine Devaney.
They lived in Castle pollard.
As far as I'm aware Catherine's mother's maiden name was Lowe.
Patrick's mother's maiden name was Fitzgerald.
The family moved to New Ferry Liverpool.
2 of the Murray children married 2 Boylans - Peter Boylan m Ann ( Annie) Murray
Margaret Boylan m James Murray.
As far as I know Patrick & Catherine had at least 10 children

Any one help.

Re: Boylan, Murray, Lowe & Fitzgerald families Co Westmeath

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 10:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Kath_Murray,

Patrick Murray and Catherine Devaney were born when, where, parents names? Religious denomination (for possible parish records)?

Two of the Murray children married two Boylans -- when, where?

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 11:03AM GMT
Patrick Murray was born 1876c - his parents were James Murray b 1850c & Elizabeth Fitzgerald b 1852. He had 8 siblings ( 1 brother and 7 sisters that I know of)As far as I know they were all born in westmeath.

Catherine Devaney was b 1878c - her father was ?? Devaney and her mother ?? Lowe - that is all I know.

Patrick & Catherine ( Kathleen ) had 12 children that I know of 6 boys & 6 girls. Michael was my father b 1921 in Castle Pollard - where I think all of the children were born.

They were RC.So would that make their church St Michael's?

I presume Patrick & Catherine m 1898c as James eldest child was born 1900c.

The Boylan connection is through marriage of the 2 eldest chidren James b 1900c who married Margaret Boylan in Castle Pollard RC Church (as far as I Know) & Anne ( Annie Murray b 1901c who married Peter Boylan again in Castle Pollard.

I'm just discovering this part of my tree.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Katharine Murray

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 3:53PM GMT
Hello Katharine,

Irish civil registrations records aren't computerised or available online. There are no surviving census records before 1901 and 1911 and neither as yet is computerised or available online. There are no county wide records in County Westmeath computerised or available online. There are no computerised church records or church records online.

For anyone born after civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 and for whom you have specific dates of birth, parents names and places of birth you can order the civil birth certs from the General Register Office at http://www.groireland.ie and click on "apply for cert".

For anyone born after civil registration and for whom you don't have the detailed information you can order the microfilmed Index of Irish Civil Registrations records on order through a LDS Family History Centre and search the microfilms for the birth entries in the index. With the index information you can then order the detailed birth certs from the General Register Office. Civil registration records are all in date order.

Castlepollard RC parish registers have been microfilmed through 1880 and are available only at the National Library of Ireland in Dublin. See:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/kilke...

The churches will no longer do genealogical research in their records because of the lack of clergy and increase in religious duties. If you wish a specific baptismal record and you have the date of baptism, parents names and if the baptism took place in Castlepollard, you can send a written request to the parish with a donation for a copy of the baptismal record to
Very Rev Patrick Moore PP
Parochial House
Castlepollard
County Westmeath
Ireland

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara

Posted: 15 May 2007 12:23PM GMT
Hello

I have just come across your message and think we have a relation match. My family line is Boylan and am currently researching this line with the help from a contact in Ireland.
A basic line of the info I have is (working backwards) John Boylan son born 1908 son of Michael Boylan and Mary Ann McCarthy. Michael is the son of Anthony Boylan and Catherine Cramer. There were at least 6 other children. Including Anthony who married Ann McGlynn and had 10 children and Julia who married James Devanny and had 12 children. The maiden name you mention I have down as Lowry. It would be great to sort this family line out and any further info would be great. This is the first time I have used this board so not sure if you can send someone a PM as it would be useful to send you what I have. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards Sam

Posted: 15 May 2007 5:46PM GMT
Hi I've replied to your other message so hope you receive that... are you the same samantha Boylan who has a tree on Genes Reunited?
As I have said I will need to check details with my cousins in Castle Pollard James'daughter, I will also ask my Boylan relatives( Aunt Annies son - she married a Thomas Boylan ) in Bromborough see what I can come up with....

Hopefully we can come up with a strong link...

speak soon

Kath

Posted: 16 May 2007 8:23AM GMT
Hi yes I'm the same person, I have recieved your message and have replied. We do all other contact that way. But if anyone else reads these and thinks they have a connection too, please get in touch.

Posted: 16 May 2007 11:21AM GMT
Hello Sam,

First of all, have you gotten the civil birth record for John Boylan, b. 1908, son of Michael Boylan and Mary Ann McCarthy? The actual civil birth record will identify his specific birthplace in County Westmeath or Ireland.

You can order the civil birth record from the Irish General Register Office http://www.groireland.ie and click on "apply for cert".

With the exact birth location you can then search the 1911 Irish census microfilm for that location to get information about his parents such as ages, the names of other siblings who were born by then and their ages, etc. The Irish census records for 1901 and 1911 aren't as yet computerised or available online. They're available on microfilm for search on order through a LDS Family History Centre.

You can then also order the other siblings civil birth records from the General Register Office with their dates of birth.

Michael's birth might have also been included in the civil registrations of births. However, you'd need to know his date of birth and parents names to try to find a civil birth record for him if his birth was registered.

It would be extremely helpful when you post messages if you could post:
a) ages/dates of birth
b) parents names
c) locations in County Westmeath where the various family members were either born or lived. There are nearly 1,500 towns and townlands in County Westmeath.

That information is critical not only for anyone to make possible family connections with your line but also to identify what research sources might have survived in County Westmeath (or Ireland) that may include the family's records.

There wouldn't have been just one Boylan, Murray, Lowe or Fitzgerald family or family line in County Westmeath.

Irish civil registrations records aren't available online nor are they computerised.

There are no surviving census records before 1901.

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara

The locations would be the town/townland, civil parish.

Posted: 16 May 2007 1:58PM GMT
Hello Eilis

Thanks for your note, Yes I have a copy of the birth cert for John, I also have the census returns for the family for both 1901 and 1911. I have been very lucky in that someone there has looked in the church records for me and have confirmed the baptism date of him and his siblings and for a couple of generations further back. I didn't put the further info on my first reply as we knew that we were talking about the same family memebers. I'm currently waiting for further certs to confirm each generation. All the family members have been from the Castlepollard area.

Regards

Sam

Posted: 17 May 2007 11:42AM GMT
Hello Sam,

Well done. So often people just have the surnames and given names and think people are automatically related because of that.

In the event anyone is interested in searching Castlepollard Roman Catholic Records (I assume they were all Roman Catholic and not Church of Ireland (Anglican) or some other religious denomination), here's the link to the Roman Catholic parish records including the dates covered in the microfilms and where they can be searched:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm...

You'll see from the Roman Catholic parish maps for County Westmeath that Castlepollard parish is on the border with Counties Meath, Cavan and Longford. Depending on where the family members were in the parish when events occurred, there might also be records in adjoining parishes in the other counties if they were located closer to the Westmeath border of those counties. Of course, there was no requirement for them to stay within their own official parish boundaries. See:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/westm...

There were many, many Boylans for example all over County Cavan.

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic