Search for content in message boards

Allens in Johnston Co., N C late 1700's to early 1800's

Allens in Johnston Co., N C late 1700's to early 1800's

Don Mangis (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2004 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am lookling for information on Allens in the late 1700's. Specifically William Allen - believed to have married Rachel (Jones)Nov 17, 1794. Who were their children and who were theri parents.

Re: Allens in Johnston Co., N C late 1700's to early 1800's

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 2:12PM GMT
One of their children is Josiah Allen b. 11-17-1798 in Johnston Co. NC d. 05-20-1855 in Hamilton Co., Illinois. My records indicate that the parents are John and Edith (Watson) Allen.

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 1:19AM GMT
children of Rachel Jones and William Allen:
Rachel, Penelope, Josiah, James, Gideon, Alfred

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 6:27AM GMT
I show James Allen married to a Nancy or Elizabeth or both as the father of William Allen married to Rachel Jones.

Many Johnston County Allen families can trace their ancestry back to James Allen who came to Johnston County ca. 1748-1760. The relationship between the early Johnston County Allens has not been established but they possibly came from the Carolina-Virginia border counties. Gideon Allen settled on Black Creek in central Johnston County ca. 1748. Robert Allen bought 160 acres of land from Thomas Cox in 1763 on the north side of the Watery Branch of Mill Creek "including the mill and plantation where said Allen now lives ...... a tract of land granted to Cox in 1763". He sold this to Joseph Langston 2 years later. Runnel Reynold Allen went to the western part of early Johnston that was cut off in 1771 for Wake County and settled near Richard Creek in 1763.

James Allen appeared in Johnston County in 1762 when he bought 160 acres on the south side of the Neuse River and on the Middle prong of Mill Creek from John Powell. By the time he died or disappeared ca. 1787/88, records show that he had purchased more than 500 acres by Land Grant or by deed from the surrounding neighbors. People who were his neighbors when the 1787-87 census was taken were David Williams, Willebey Hooks, Mary Lee --- widow of Edward, Noah Barefoot, Duncan Murray, Nathan Vick, and Cato Lee. Most of his land was near Mill Creek, Powells Branch, Stones Creek and Hannahs Creek in what is now Meadow and Ingram Townships. He sold about 1/2 of this acreage by 1787. On 29 Oct. 1787 James Allen deeded to his son Nathan Allen "for love and good will ...... 5 negroes, goods and chattels ..... including the plantation whereon I now live.....including all crops ..... thereunto me moving". The name of James Allen's wife has not been found, but it is thought that it might be Nancy, for in 1781 a James Allen and wife Nancy were witnesses to a deed made by Joshua Johnston to Moses Johnston. James Allen was appointed by the Court to serve on Road Jury to lay out a road to the Duplin Courthouse, was appointed Constable in Nov. 1768 in place of Thomas Lee, Road overseer in James Allen's District in 1774 and Tax Assessor in 1779. He was called to serve on numerous juries from 1768-1788.

This is the last record for James Allen to be found in the Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions Minutes. In 1787-1787 Census of Johnston County, James Allen's household consisted of 5 males and 8 females, while next door was son Nathan by himself. By the 1790 Census James is missing and Nathan is the head of the household of 5 males and 8 females, accounting for Nathan and four brothers, his mother and 7 sisters. The names of the four brothers are found in Deed records and the names of three sisters is found in a 1817 court action. After the death of Nathan Allen, in 1817, 3 of the sisters sue his estate and orphans for "3/4 part of all lands uncomputed in the deed from James Allen to Nathan Allen & ramain undisposed of by Nathan Allen at the time of his death." The remaining sisters have not been identified.

William Allen received 628 acres Land grant and his brother Nathan gave him 150 acres in 1805. He lived on Hannahs Creek on land that was called "the Island & the Windfall". William was often mentioned in the Johnston County Court Records and was appointed Guardian to Alfred Johnson s/o of Littleton Johnson deceased.

I show William and Rachel's children as Gideon (1796-1839), James (ca 1796- ),Nancy ( c 1805- ) , Alfred (abt 1807- abt 1853), Polly, Rachel, Sally, Josiah, and Penny.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 9:21PM GMT
I am seeking information on my g-g-grandfather, John E. Allen of Johnston County,N.C. All I can find is that he married an Elizabeth Avera in 1848 and that he died approximately 1870/73. His son (my g-grandfather) was Albert Marcellus Allen. He married Frances "Fannie" Rideout. Please respond to
rrrevel@cox.net

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 7:33PM GMT
I am searching for the ancestors of James or John Allen, one of whom is said to be the father of William Allen of Johnston Co., N C. My current stumbling block is their parent's who are possibly Gideon Allen and Elizabeth (Hoxie) Allen. Gideon Allen was b. Feb 17, 1719, in Dartsmouth, Bristol Co., MA.

Gideon Allen's paarent are possibly Phillip Allen and Mary (Mosher). Phillip Allen was born Feb 29, 1684 and d. Dec 10, 1752, in Oblong, Dutchess Co., N Y.

Does anyone have any additional information on these Allens?
Can anyone confirm or correct the above information? Can anyone provide info on these Allen's children?

Thanks for the help.

Don
per page

Find a board about a specific topic