Search for content in message boards

Name of company in Whitewater in 1918

Name of company in Whitewater in 1918

Posted: 5 Jul 2013 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Land
In the attached World War I draft registration, John Jay Land reported that he was a laborer for a company located in Whitewater, Walworth Co., Wisconsin. The name of the company is unclear, but might be Whitewater Ear??ing Co. Does anyone know what this might be, or have access to a Whitewater city directory of that era to identify the company? If so, what industry was this company associated with?

In the 1920 census, Land was working for a confectionary company, living in Whitewater. In the 1930 census, Land was a foreman at a creamery in the state of Georgia.
Attachments:

Re: Name of company in Whitewater in 1918

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 6:43PM GMT
It looks like it might be Whitewater Canning Co. They canned peas there.

http://books.google.com/books?id=va3mAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA7-PA2...

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:28PM GMT
Thank you so much. An interesting article that will contribute additional information for my discussion of this person. I appreciate your search for the link to the article.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 7:14PM GMT
I believe that the Whitewater Canning Company started when several residents bought what had been a wagon factory and converted it to a cannery. [Fred Kraege, Images of Whitewater, page 84] Canning started in 1914 with sweet corn. Kraege indicates they later processed both peas and tomatoes. I am not sure when they closed but I have seen a 1945 calendar of theirs. However, they were not in operation when I arrived in Whitewater in 1965.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions