Posted: 30 Nov 2001 3:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2002 5:21AM GMT
Mary Jo, I am also related to the Allegany Co. Porters. I
have the early history by Frank Porter, but only the first five
generations. You have not gone back far enough in your
Porter line to link up with any of the early Porters. This family
goes back to Thomas Porter & Margaret Strude Porter in
the late 1600's. England. Their son John Porter came to Balto. in 1710 and then Carroll Co where he died. Three of his son came to Allegany Co. Md. before 1770 and served
in Rev. War from Bedford Co. Pa. A portrait of Squire Jack
Porter hangs in the Nat. Museum of Art in Wash. D.C. They
have a nice history if you can get farther back to give me a
clue. Jim Ryan

Re: Allegany Co. Md. Porters

Posted: 14 Dec 2001 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2002 6:30PM GMT
The Frank Porter book lists 8 children for JOHN PORTER and wife NANCY MCKENZIE.

However, according to this source, there was also a son CALEB:

SOURCE: GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY Jordan and Hardin (New York: Lewis Historicla Publc. Co. 1912) vol. 1,II,III.

p. 416

JOHN PORTER born in England 1690 came to America and settled at Baltimore Maryland in 1715

JOHN s/o JOHN b. abt. 1720 at Baltimore; m. NANCY MCKENZIE d/o MOSES MCKENZIE and left eight kids.
CALEB PORTER s/o JOHN born in Maryland abt. 1760; lived at Ellicott Mills near Baltimore; about 1800 came to Pennsylvania where he purchased twelve hundred acres of land in Westmoreland Co. on which he built a stone house; two of his sons JAMES and JOSEPH PORTER served in Union Army during Civil War.

Can you confirm or deny or elaborate upon this info?

Posted: 16 Dec 2001 5:23AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2002 5:21AM GMT
To Arlene Gemmill, I am unable to remark on Caleb Porter
as this is the first I heard of him. Are you a descendant of
Calib Porter? Jim Ryan

Posted: 17 Dec 2001 5:17PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2002 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER; IRWIN
No, I am descendant of MOSES PORTER b. abt.1730; m. LYDIA IRWIN and son PHINEAS PORTER moved to Fayette Co. PA from Maryland..

My info on CALEB PORTER comes from GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY Jordan and Hardin (New York: Lewis Historical Publc. Co. 1912) 3 vol.:

p. 416

JOHN PORTER born in England 1690 came to America and settled at Baltimore Maryland in 1715

JOHN s/o JOHN b. abt. 1720 at Baltimore; m. NANCY MCKENZIE d/o MOSES MCKENZIE and left eight kids.
CALEB PORTER s/o JOHN born in Maryland abt. 1760; lived at Ellicott Mills near Baltimore; about 1800 came to Pennsylvania where he purchased twelve hundred acres of land in Westmoreland Co. on which he built a stone house; two of his sons JAMES and JOSEPH PORTER served in Union Army during Civil War.

Also. what is the full citation for the "Frank Porter book" to which you referred, please?

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 9:33PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Hello, I am Bill Porter decedent od Kennedy Ellie Porter 1879 to 1947, Ewing B, Porter 1850 to 1927, Moses Porter 1807 to 1875and Phineas Porter ? 1969 to 1808. I am lost before that. I think we came out of MD and know we settled in Fayette Co. PA.
If you have any leads on the early line of Porters it would be welcomed.
Thank you
Bill Porter
portwi01@comcast.net

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 11:51PM GMT
Hi, I'm looking for the parents of James Porter born 1803 somewhere in Pa. He married Rachel Waugh abt 1823 and died in Lawrence Co. in 1860. Would love to hear from someone on this line.
Thanks, Bernice

Re: Franklin Co. PA. Porters

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:55PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Porter; Irwin
Phineas Porter was the s/o Moses Porter and Lydia Irwin.
Lydia was the d/o James Irwin and Jean, early settlers in Franklin Co., PA.
After extensive research I have ruled out any connection between the Moses Porter line of Franklin Co., PA and the Allegany Co., MD line, tho both used the name Moses.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic