Search for content in message boards

Bellingham Nursing Homes

Bellingham Nursing Homes

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 3:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Are you familiar with a nursing home called O'Cains? It was located at 1817 Knox Ave in Bellingham WA. I would like to know if it is still a nursing home and what is the name of the facility now?

Re: Bellingham Nursing Homes

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 3:59PM GMT
I went to the address, seeing that the assessor's office has no property listed there, and found a large facility. The facility, however, is not a nursing home and is currently accessed from around the corner (a different address); it is The International Society for Optical Engineering.

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 9:31PM GMT
http://wagenweb.org/whatcom/wgsobits/deathsoa_ok.htm:

O'CAIN, Ethel V., 92, owner of O'Cain's Nursing Home for 40 years, died Saturday (March 13, 1982). She was born Jan. 8, 1890, in Pennsylvania. She traveled extensively before coming to the Seattle area in 1906. Shortly thereafter, she homesteaded in North Dakota until 1914, when she moved to Bellingham with her husband, W. E. O'Cain. He died in 1946. Her nursing home was the first one between Seattle and the Canadian border when it opened in 1939. She continued to operate it herself most of the time until it closed in 1978, due to lack of funding. The building was sold to the Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers as the site of a new facility. As a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, she traveled to Borneo in 1971 to dedicate two boats she donated for missionary work there. She is a survived by a son (James L. of Ferndale), two daughters (Mrs. Myrtle & husband Turville Spreadborough of Deming, Mrs. Alice & husband Vernon Swendt of city), 12 grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren, four great-great-grandchildren, a daughter-in-law (Ruby O'Cain of Everett) and two sisters (Clara Hunter & Blanche Flauk, both of Tyrone, Penn.). Funeral services will be held at 1 p. m. Wednesday at Jones Funeral Home, with the Rev. Larry Zuchowski officiating. Visitation will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and from 8 a. m. to noon Wednesday at Jones Funeral Home.

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 4:55AM GMT
That was so kind, thank you very much.

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 4:57AM GMT
Wonderful historical information. I wonder if the nursing home records have been archived anywhere?

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 1:50AM GMT
I am the cousin of the woman that wanted this posted. If you care to correspond with her please get in touch with me.

I am a daughter of T. & M. Spreadborough . Ethel O’cain was my mom’s foster mother. Mom cared for “grandma” O’cain in her last years. I don’t know if the records from the nursing home were archived. It might be worth checking with Western Washington University Archives. We were dismayed that the building, originally a historical mansion, was torn down after grandma died, but a buyer could not be found for some time and it sat vacant for several years. Dad tried to provide some maintenance but was unable to keep up. Frozen pipes and other issues caused too much damage. Of Ethel O’cain’s children, only Alice remains at this time. A. Colburn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic