Search for content in message boards

Anglican Diocesan School Rangoon

Anglican Diocesan School Rangoon

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 1:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SNOW, COTTON, ROLLINS
Both of my great-grandparents met and both taught at this school for over 30 years pre the Japanese invasion when they fled to Murree, India (now Pakistan). I would like to know more of the school as it was such a significant part of their lives.

Their names were Ethel Maud Cotton (nee Snow) and William Wemyss Rollins.

Re: Anglican Diocesan School Rangoon

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 5:07PM GMT
My Mum & her sisters went to the Anglican Diocesan Girls' School in Rangoon and her brothers to the corresponding Boys School, where her father (my grandfather) taught maths for many years until forced to flee Rangoon.

My mother, maternal grandmother and preceding generations were born in Burma; my maternal grandfather and preceding generations in Bangalore.

My mother's family fled to India in 1942 where my parents later married (they met in Rangoon) and where my older brother and I were born. My father and paternal grandfather were also born in India although their roots were firmly in the UK - they were an army family.

My mother's family were Anglo-Indian/Burmese - her family names are Bond, Rayner, and Scriven. My mother died aged 90 three years ago, although she often talked about the schools and her father - they must have known your great grandparents! One of her sisters is still alive and may have more information - what would you like to know? - I'm guessing you are quite young as these were your great grandparents. I also have a book about the missionaries in Burma which includes some information about the schools they established - when I have more time will see what information is there for you.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 10:49PM GMT
thanks for reply. Your grandfather would have taught alongside my great- grandfather (William Rollins) at the school until leaving Burma. What was his name? My grandfather worked for Burmah Oil before joining the army in 1940. My grandmother and her family also fled to India in 1942, where my grandfather subsequently met up with them.

I will check with my grandmother, who is 91 this year, whether she remembers your family names; I guess she must have been a few years behind your mother at school but it was a small community. My great grandmother (Ethel Snow) taught at the girls school so its likely your mother and aunt were her students.

I am trying to better understand their life in Burma ahead of the war and for them the school was a big part so anything you can add in this respect would be appreciated. My grandmother is quite effusive about growing up in Burma. I have read George Orwell's "Burmese Days", which provides some insight into the broader social environment.

Posted: 1 Mar 2011 2:14PM GMT
Hi again

My mother's name was Phyllis Bond; her two sisters were Maisie and Aileen (possibly known as Blossom then). Aileen is still alive and will be 89 later this year - she was the youngest of the 5 children who survived infancy and 5 years younger than my mother. Their father (my grandfather) was Arthur Claude Bond, their mother Nellie Alison Bond (maiden name Rayner). I'll ask Aileen if she remembers any of the names you mention.

Cotton seems to have been an important name in schools of the time - who/what is your connection?

Have also located the book I mentioned - 1911 imprint and pretty awful printing but I will try scanning the relevant pages (& photograph of the schools) so they can be emailed to you. Will let you know if I'm successful.

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 3:48AM GMT
My great grandparents William Rollins and Ethel Snow/Cotton, both teachers, married in 1919 in Rangoon. The link to the Cotton family is through Ethel who was previously married to Capt Oscar Vivian Cotton with whom she had three children: Vivian (m), Merlyn (f Merle) and Esme, step-siblings of my grandmother. Vivian is a family name passed down the male line as either a first or middle name.

Vivian Cotton married Diamond Chor Khine, one of three sisters, and had two sons: Terrence and Ridsdale. I know relatively little about Captain Cotton other than he and Ethel Snow allegedly separated as a result of his womanising. I don't know if he remarried and have done little research to investigate his genealogy. Apparently there were quite a lot of Cottons in India at that time so I can't say that my link is to the Cottons you are researching.

Diamond's two younger sisters and my grandmother remained friends for life so we got to know Terry and Rids Cotton as my mother's cousins. Terry worked in London as a cab driver. Rids moved from England to Fonsorbes, just outside Toulouse in France where he worked as an avionics engineer with the Concorde project at Airbus. Rids later married Betty and they had a son Vivian. Rids loved the French lifestyle and was active in veterans soccer and rugby and continued to help Betty with her cafe/restaurant. He retired in France but continued to occasionally do work at Airbus, most recently testing engines for the A380. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I asked my grandmother (Doreen Rollins/Herne) if she knew of Aileen/Blossom Bond and her sisters. She said that Phyllis and Maisie were more familiar than Aileen but had good recall of Mr Bond as a teacher. She recalled Mrs Bond as being a good friend of her mother. She also recalled her Uncle George marrying Annie Bond. I mentioned the other names and she said Phyllis Scriven was good friends with her sisters Esme and Merle.

When recalling her school days my grandmother said music was a big thing for the girls. She spoke of her music teachers Queenie Juarte and Miss Strong and Asquiths music shop. My grandmother and family all lived on a large estate near the school called Snowville.

I look forward to receiving the scan and photo.

Posted: 10 Dec 2011 2:40PM GMT
Surnames: ROLLINS
any luck with the scans of the photos? my grandmother passed away a few months ago so I suppose much of the story will be untold.

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Johns
My aunt taught at the school in 1924 or 5 for 5 years her name was Nelly Johns she died in 2004 at the age of 102.
I have all her letters home she travelled with a Miss Clark who I think may have been the principle at the time. She mentions lots of people especially connected with the church and also her holidays in Mandeley and Maymyo . I would so like to visit the parts she mentions. Is the school still in Rangoon? can anyone give me any information about it?
Liz Evans

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: ROLLINS COTTON SNOW
Liz,
Much of the area where the schools were has been redeveloped or run down. You try enter Pagoda Rd, Yangon, Yangon Division, Burma into Google Maps and then use the tool to display photos you will get some idea. This address was near where my gt-grandparents lived in Bo Yar Nyunt Road (formerly Sandwith Road), which was near the schools. I read somewhere that the original schools were founded on Pagoda Road near the hospital, which is near the Anglican church and opposite the Shwedagon pagoda.

Schools were nationalised in 1964. There are three current schools close by on Pagoda Road, Middle School and nearer the pagoda and hospital, Pabedan 2 High School just behind Holy Trinity Anglican Church and Latha 1 High School across the road.

I understand the areas in the hill stations were far more attractive. Good luck with your research.
Brian

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 10:04PM GMT
Liz,
This also presupposes the schools survived the bombings of Rangoon from December 1941 and later. An amazing photo of the bombing on Dec 23, 1941 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/johntewell/5679176558/in/photos.... The bottom left hand corner of the bomb pattern is the area near the church, schools and Shwe Dagon pagoda. I have written to the archbishop at the church to make enquiries about the school and any surviving church records from that period.
regards
Brian

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 3:52PM GMT
Surnames: Johns Snow
Brian
Thank you for your messages.
My aunt mentions a mrs Snow in her diaries this would be about1925 or 6. She tells of her taaking her family up to Mandalay and going to tea with her in Rangoon. Would this be a relation of yours?
Liz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions