Search for content in message boards

Griffin family, Magnolia Plantation, Washington Co, MS, 1800's

Griffin family, Magnolia Plantation, Washington Co, MS, 1800's

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2002 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Downs, Griffin, Marshall, Scarlett
Looking for info on the Griffin Family:

Francis Bettis Griffin b. 1790, married Patsy Downs 20-Aug-1817. married Leonora Scarlett (daughter of James Scarlett) 21-Jan 1823.

children:

1. Thomas Griffin
2. Isabella Griffin
3. Laura Griffin
4. John Bettis Griffin b 15-Sep-1826, Magnolia Plantation

John Bettis Griffin married Sarah Lane Marshall (daughter of John Lane Marshall) 22-Mar-1852.

children:

1 Francis Bettis Griffin b 7-Feb-1853
2 John Lane Griffin b 25-Jul-1854
3 Leonora Scarlett Griffin b 9-Sep-1855
4 Mary Lane Griffin b 25-Nov 1858
5 Laura Griffin b 11-Apr-1860
6 Janet Griffin b Apr 1862
7 Helen Knight Griffin b 20-May-1864
8 Donald Carr Griffin b 11-Feb-1856
9 Gerald Gordon Griffin b 27-Dec-1870

Gerald Gordon Griffin married May Little or Carpenter(?)

children (believed to all have been born in Westchester Co., NY)

1 Gerald Gordon Griffin, Jr, b 21-Jun-1898, d Dec 1974
2 (Dr) Donald Carr Griffin b 1900, d 30-Jun-1950
3 John Lane Griffin b 19-Apr-1901, d 14-Dec-1994

GGG, Jr, was my grandfather

Re: Griffin family, Magnolia Plantation, Washington Co, MS, 1800's

Posted: 18 Aug 2002 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2004 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: Downes, Griffin
There are several Griffin families in Washington County. Where is Magnolia Plantation's location? Could Patsy spell her last name Downes?
RE: Magnolia Plantation 1826. Washington County did not become a county until 1827. Prior there was a WASHINGTON COUNTY TERRITORY OF MISSISSIPPI in Southeast Mississippi and into Alabama.

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 5:54AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2006 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Bettis, Downs, Downes, Evans, Scarlett, Doser, Dozier
Patsy/Patsey Downs could have spelled her name Downes. I found her listed in the LDS records without the "e". She and Francis were married in Warren county, 20 Aug 1817. This is the only reference to her I've found. No children are attributed to her that I've found.

The Magnolia Plantation reference comes from Jess Bettis' site, Bettis Family, on Rootsweb. he cites his references as "The Bettes, England to America" by Adele Cobb Kerrigan and "Clarke Co, Alabama and Its Surroundings" by Rev T.H.Ball.

My late Father felt it was around Greensville, but I have nothing to substantiate this.

Francis Bettis Griffin was the 2nd son of Jonas Griffin, born Cumberland co, NC and Janet Bettis, probably born Edgecomb co, NC.

his siblings: Thomas, Dennis, Sarah, Emily, & John

Jonas was the son of either Jonas or John Sr, probably also from Cumberland, NC, but not known for sure.

Janet was the daughter of Francis Bettis, d abt 1782 Edgefield Co, SC & Mary Evans, d 1774.

Francis Bettis was the son of John Bettes b abt 1700 & d abt 1750, pasquotank, NC and Mary Doser/Dozier

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 6:19AM GMT
Surnames: ,
Further to this family: the story that was passed to me is they were tobacco farmers which is why there is so much migration; the continuing need for new land to farm.

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 12:39PM GMT
you wrote---"The Bettes, England to America" by Adele Cobb Kerrigan and "Clarke Co, Alabama and Its Surroundings" by Rev T.H.Ball.

I have looked up Clarke Co. Alabama. It would have been on the east edge of WASHINGTON COUNTY TERRITORY OF MISSISSIPPI. It would not be a bad idea to post your query there also. I have not seen any of the family names that you posted for that Griffin family in WASHINGTON COUNTY STATE OF MISSISSIPPI created in 1827. Warren County is of course close to the 1827 Washington Co. Land in the 1827 county was not put up for sale until the 1830s. Give Clarke County and the Counties to the west surrounding it a try even some in that part of Mississippi. I really need to learn which counties were in WASHINGTON cOUNTY TERRITORY OF MISSISSIPPI. Let me know if you have any success.

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 9:57PM GMT
This information on Washington county TERRITORY OF MISSISSIPPI refers to Clarke County Alabama-More and more I feel this is where you need to search.
Princella

Between 1809 and 1812 it appears to have been confined entirely within what is now Alabama. It was bounded on the north and east by the Treaty of Mt. Dexter boundaries and included the ca. N 1/2 of present day Washington County (the southern half of present day Wash. was for a long time Baldwin County, which has now moved completely away from its
original site and is now located entirely east of the Mobile River and Mobile Bay), the southern half of Choctaw County and most of CLARKE COUNTY (east of the Tombigbee). This is from MISSISSIPPI: ATLAS OF HISTORICAL COUNTY BOUNDARIES, edited. by John H. Long, complied by Peggy Tuck Sinko, Simon & Schuster, 1993, page 199.

between 1812 and 1817, when the Alabama Territory was formed, Washington County lost all of its land east of the Tombigbee River, leaving only the north half of present Washington and the south half of Choctaw. From MS: ATLAS OF HISTORICAL COUNTY BOUNDARIES, p. 200.

Posted: 20 Aug 2002 1:58AM GMT
Thanks so much for this great and fascinating information! I'll let you know if I find anything.

Ivy Dunn (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2004 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin
Does anyone know where the personal papers are for the Griffin family, or the plantation records? I'm searching for information about the slaves who lived at Magnolia, especially the family of Jacob and Phoebie (Phebie) Griffin.

Thanks,
Ivy Dunn

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:33PM GMT
I am also interested in any plantation records. Were there any slaves/laborers by the last name "Bandyball" from the early 1800s through the early 1900s?

Thanks
Corkey

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 10:44PM GMT
My Grandfather was raised on Refuge. My sister took him back to see it before he died but the only way the new owner would give any details or let my sister see any logs she may have, she first wanted to see my 100+ year old grandfather who was tired and sitting in the car. My sister told her this the woman refused to talk further bout the history but told them they could take fotos of the slave house and other buildings on the property. I have those photos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions