Posted: 23 Jan 2011 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2011 11:32PM GMT
I am trying to identify a photograph. It was taken by a

O.G.Oyloe
Brookings Dakota

The names on the back is James Monroe
Crossed out is the name of Andrew Bradley
Someone identified it as either one or the other.

I am trying to find the timeframe when it was taken. I find a Ole G Oyloe in the 1910-1930 census but he is not listed as a Photographer.
Thank you.

The picture was found in New York State.

Kathy

Re: Photography Studio

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 9:07PM GMT
Kathy,

Does the photographer's inscription say "Dakota" or did it say "S Dak" or any other variation of South Dakota?

A couple years ago when I searched for photographers in the Brookings area, I found a directory that said in 1890 Ole G Oyloe was a photographer.

However, if the inscription just said "Dakota" that would likely indicate it is from before 1890. South Dakota
became a state on November 2, 1889.

I also read that Ole Oyloe bought out a photographer named Jarvis in 1891. Then in later years, John G Oyloe and Conrad Oyloe were also photographers.

I have several photos from the Brookings area and quite a few were taken by the Oyloes. The inscriptions I have seen all say "Brookings, SD" or "Brookings, S. Dak" though.

~Penny
Brookings,SD

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: blotebeth@Earthlink.net
Great postings!

My great grandparents, Charles Erwin Palmer & Cora Ann (Cole) lived in Brookings. As did some of the Blote's, Herman, Carl, Louie aka: John or Ludwig.

I wonder if any of your photos are identified?

Beth BLOTE

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 11:57PM GMT
Unfortunately, the vast majority of the photos now in my possession were not labeled. I am slowly working on labeling them with the help of other cousins.

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 11:28PM GMT
I just found the perfect reference!

According to the book titled "They Captured the Moment: Dakotas Photographers 1853-1920", Ole Oyloe was a photographer from 1889-1921 in the town of Brookings.

From 1891-1900, Ole Oyloe was also a photographer in Elkton, which is about 20 miles southeast of Brookings (city). The Elkton studio is the studio he bought from Jarvis in 1891. Elkton is also in Brookings County. So I wonder if some of the photos from this studio may have had the Brookings inscription as well.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 1:36AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2011 1:37AM GMT
The picture I have just says

Brooklings Dakota

According to what you found on O G Oyloe and South Dakota being formed in the latter part of 1889 this picture was probably taken in 1889.

This picture does not connect to my family. Do you know anyone who would like it? I don't know if you only collect your own family or any photos that were taken in Brooklings.

Kathy

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 3:40AM GMT
If you want to send the photo my way, I would be happy to hand it off to the Brookings Area Genealogical Society or the Brookings County Museum.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 3:56AM GMT
That would be great-The picture was with a group of pictures that ended up in a home in Mechanicville, NY

All of them were identified on the back and most refer to a COON Family from Otsego County, NY. My last name is Coons so the pictures were given to me. None of them connect to my husband's Coons' Family.

I have not been able to trace them from census records except for a Mary Coon married to a Dr Thayer living in San Francisco about 1880-I did find a person interested in Dr Thayer as he was tracing the Thayer Family from Otsego County, NY

If you send me your mailing address through Ancestry I'll mail it to you and you can do what you want with it. If you ever find out who the man is and his relationship to Brooklings would you let me know.

Kathy

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Bradley, Monroe
I just did a little research (very quickly) with the Ancestry census records.

In the 1885 Territorial Census and the 1900 Federal Census, it appears there was an Andrew Bradley born about 1834/5 in New York. Looks like his wife Martha had 2 children a William and another child that didn't survive. Martha and William were also born in New York. They appear in the Moody county census, which would be just down the road. Brookings was and is still the major hub city for a large portion of Moody county.

There are several records for "James Monroe", though they were born in a variety of locations including Kansas, Iowa, Canada, Massachussettes and Illinois.

I'll let you know if we discover any other details!

~Penny

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 5:38AM GMT
I found the obit for Andrew J Bradley-He died in San Diego, California

Mary Coon Thayer ended up in San Diego and also I have a photo of Tom Coon taken in San Diego

Go to www.fultonhistory.com and search in quotes

"Andrew J Bradley"
#16 Obit for Andrew died 1926

I found the census records 1850-1860-1870 for Andrew in Otsego County New York

Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions