Search for content in message boards

Nicholas Cotter ,Wyandotte Indian Ancestry

Nicholas Cotter ,Wyandotte Indian Ancestry

Viola FoxCOTTER SMITH (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2001 8:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Cotter, Arms, Dawson, Lane, Fox, Andrews, Ford, Cummins, Franklin
Nicholas COTTER was born in Canads ca 1825.His father was Francis COTTER.He is my childrens GGGrandfather.He was an Indian guide for Freemont to California in 1849. He settled in I.T.{OKLA}and was Chief of the tribe in 1882. He married Elizabeth Arms .Children JOEL, JEFFERSON,and HULDA.I have dates and further info if anyone is searching.Joel m.Sallie Dawson.son Clarence m. Viona Lane.son Clarence Jr. m. Viola Fox Their children are Sallie Andrews, Joe COTTER, Brenda Ford, Abbey Cummins and Elisabeth Franklin. I welcome your input.

Cotter Wyndott Rolls MyFamily Website

Posted: 15 Mar 2001 6:27PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Cotter
Hi Viola,
I have a partial Wyndott listing on my website. It has the Cotter name. If you would like to visit write to me at malamute@flash.net & I will send you an invitation. You will also find other Cotters. Janet

Wyandotte Indian Roll

ViolaFoxCOTTERSmith (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2001 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2003 2:49AM GMT
Janet: Malamute@flash.netHello. I live near Wyandotte, Okla, and attend the Indian meetings and Pow Wow. Chief Leaford Bearskin is a dear friend. My husband, Jack Cotter was nephew of Leonard Cotter, Chief of the tribe for many years.I would very much like to share information with any one who has related info. Thanks, Vi at Tifffarm.
Posted: 8 Apr 2001 10:26PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2003 2:47AM GMT
Hi Viola,
I was very glad to get your message. I don't know if they are the same Cotters or not, but I would love to exchange info. to find out. My email is malamute@flash.net. Thanks so much. Janet

Re: Wyandotte Indian Roll

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 3:58PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2003 2:33AM GMT
Hi,
I am sorry. I just now found your answer. I have a copy of part of a Wyandott Roll. In it it I believe it mentions Elizabeth & James>Her son I believe. I would have to go back to the site to check the names for sure. I would very much like to know if these were our Cotters. I have a web-site with a photo of Eliz Sr., (there were two), & the Roll is in there also. If you would like to go to the site I would be glad to send you an invitation. It is a MyFamily site. I don't know where Wyandott is but I went to Capitol Hill H.S. in OKC. Over 100 yrs ago our family started around Wewoka, Wetumka,Holdenville & Lamar, if you are familiar with that area. Janet

Re: Nicholas Cotter ,Wyandotte Indian Ancestry

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 11:46PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2003 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: Risner, Cotter
Viola...had a big speel but I'm not too good on computor and lost everything I'd written. It would be wonderfupol if you receive it, but just in case you didn't...my husband and yours"Jack" were first cousins. He was Durard Thurlow Risner, Mabel Cotter Risner's son. Yes I have the Cotters in my records and since I lost everything I'd written, I'll give you my home add: 12769 E. Exposition Dr., Aurora, CO. 80012-2339 (ph. 303-537-0544) I don't have your postal add: please adviseme of it. I have extensive records, and yes of Nicholas. What you have is correct but I have more. Now, I'll try again!

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 11:50PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2003 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Cotter, Risner, Arms, Brown, Waron
E-Mail add. chgd to; honeybee_hon@yahoo.com
Viola, if I remember right, you married "Jack" making him and my Durard T. Risner "Johnny" first cousins. Yes I have quite a bit on the Cotter genealogy but to send to you I need your postal address. I am most happy to gain contact again. Do you still reside in Tulsa? I tried contacting you in 1993 but couldnot get through to you by telephone while there three days. I am living in Denver with my daughter Claudia Jane Risner, named after Claude Vern Cotter. Was so sorry we all lost Josie , she was a very close connective friend through the years. So you won't be held in suspense I'll give you a tidbit: Nicholas b. in Amherstburg,Ontario,Canada 3/6/1822 of the "Turtle Clan", Wyandotte Tribe. He mar. Elizabeth Ann Arms b. Upper Sandusky, Ohio. She was full-blood of the "Deer Clan", Wyandotte Tribe. Francis Cotter was his father and Catherine Brown his mother. He had a godfather, Armand Waron. Yes, he was chief 1880-82. Freemont's guide information is correct. I can't take credit for chasing down all this on my own.....most recent was through Martha and Nick Cotter. I'm also working on Risner's and other families connected to my genealogy history. I've visited gravesites and took pictures of several. It is a very addictive hobby, and I spend many happy hours imbibing in it's rewards! Guess I'd better give my postal address while I remembger: Rheba Dec (Risner) Currier(widow), 12769 E. Exposition Drive, Aurora, CO 80012-2339 Ph 303-537-0544.

Posted: 13 May 2004 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Bearskin
Hi there - my sister in law is a Bearskin descendant, from John S. Bearskin. Do you happen to know the name of Chief Leaford Bearskin's father? I'm trying to help her with her genealogy for my nephew, and would like to show her relationship to the Chief. Thanks so much, Best Regards, Cinda in CO

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Bearskin, Solomon
Leford's dad is John Bearskin. His mother's name is Myrtle. John's father was William Bearskin who married Sarah Solomon.

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 7:40PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2009 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Cotter, Tahatonne
Francis Cotter Tahatonne, Bear Clan sachem Astawenserontha family, was an Upper Mohawk. Brother Nicholas Cotter, mother Margaret Hill. The family sold their property in the Mohawk Village and left the Grand River April 1817 (a first cousin of my ancestor took over the sachemship at this time). Cotter was an Uppper Mohawk. Indian Affairs RG10 Series and Claus Papers MG19 (Archives of Canada) tell much of the story of the Cotters on the Grand River. The documents also say that he went to "Detroit" (i.e., Amherstburg and was still alive in 1835) and from that point (1816)he became a Wyandot (his mother appears to have had Huron connections, Beaver Clan / Tribe from Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley).

Perhaps we can share information about the Cotters.

David K. Faux - fauxdk [at] yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions