Search for content in message boards

Still searching for Anna

Still searching for Anna

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Metterhausen, Burkowitz, Hopp, Goldberg, Eisfeld
Hi! I have been trying to locate a lost relative's history for a few years, and am hoping someone out there can help me!

My grandmother used to tell me as a child of an Aunt of hers named Anna Burkowitz who married Carl Metterhausen in Schoolcraft Co, MI in 1888. The marriage produced three children, Clara Metterhausen (1888), Sophie/Sophia Metterhausen (1890) and Leida/Lydia (pronounced Leda) Metterhausen (1895), but ended unhappily in 1903 with a bitter divorce. The three girls were given to the custody of their father, who sent them to Minnesota to be raised by a minister named Carl Eisfeld. Leida may have died during this time period, as no photos or letters exist of her after this point. Anna apparently attempted to follow her children, and is thought to have married a man named Hopp in Minnesota or further west, but frankly, she could have traveled in any direction north, south, east or west!

The family story continues that after an agruement, he stabbed or shot her to death in 1920. Her body returned by train to the family home in Manistique, MI in the summer of 1921 and was buried in an unmarked grave. We recently located her in the town cemetary, and have her marriage, divorce and burial records, but we cannot locate who she married "out west" or wherever and if the story is true. Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? Anna was apparently a very difficult woman to be married to, and we are simply interested in finding out what happened! Also, if anyone can help us locate information on Carl Eisfeld (the Lutheran minister who took the children), Clara Metterhausen, Sophie Metterhausen [married Mark Goldberg, Chicago-Had a daughter named Inez], Leida Metterhausen, or Carl Metterhausen, I would surely appreciate it.

Re: Still searching for Anna

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 2:27AM GMT
I wonder if she had two sisters and two brothers, Betty & Ruthie, not sure of the brothers names.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 5:31AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2013 5:33AM GMT
Okay, this is really old, but your other post on the Hopp board got me curious! In the 1920 census for Ward County North Dakota, there is a William Hopp with wife Anna, both 36. She reported her birthplace as New York, parents born Germany, which is the same as Anna Mettenhouse in 1900. In 1920, William and Anna are living in Mountrail County, North Dakota. Anna Hopp died in Mountrail County July 20, 1921. Might be worth checking out!
https://secure.apps.state.nd.us/doh/certificates/deathCertSe...
(re: your opinion on Anna being hard to live with, maybe she was just really bad at picking men, she was only 16 at her first marriage)!

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 9:53PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2013 10:24PM GMT
August 2001 post:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/HOPP/2001-08/0...

Includes a telling quote re. violence against women.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 6:41AM GMT
Falsterden - please explain what you are implying re violence against women.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:50PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 3:16PM GMT
Umm, okay. It's not relevant to this genealogy quest, which is why I didn't expand. Here is the quote:

"I want to find out what happened to this lost aunt. Other than the clear indication that you would not want to live with her (any woman who can drive to men to murder must indeed have been an impossible wife!)"

No woman drives a man to murder. No wife is so impossible that a husband just "can't help himself" from killing her. There is no justification for violence against another person, let alone a spouse. Blaming the victim is a wrong-headed and ignorant response to family violence. The quote is disturbing in the extreme.

Looking at the entire statement in the link, I see no reason to believe humor was intended, and if it was, it misses the mark by a long shot. Even in the current query, the statement is made that "Anna was apparently a very difficult woman to be married to," a bogus conclusion with no foundation or evidence. She did appear to have a pattern of choosing abusive partners - which is decidedly NOT the same as being "hard to live with." To the contrary, the pattern suggests she may have been a meek or passive woman.

I do share a common social value - that self-defense is justified, including the defense of others and the defense of one's country. We don't know the truth of what happened. I am objecting to the quote; I am not trying to define or analyze the events without knowing the facts.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:13PM GMT
Thank you for clarifying, I agree with you.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:17PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 3:18PM GMT
Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic