Search for content in message boards

Who raised Charles Williams in PA?

Who raised Charles Williams in PA?

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 1:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Williams, Savage, Strunk
My great-grandfather, Charles Williams, b 13 Jan 1850 "in PA," married Alafretta Savage in 1876 in Black Hawk Co., IA. They moved to Plymouth/Woodbury Co., IA, in the 1880s. He reported on an IA census that his father, Charles, and mother, Susan Strant, were born in PA and married in Parker Ford, Chester Co. A family Bible says Charles was raised by 2 aunts. I can't confirm any of this info ... no birth location, no middle initial, can't find any marriage records. Who raised Charles Williams??????

Re: Who raised Charles Williams in PA?

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Savage
1925 IA Plymouth Co Perry state census
Williams Chas head 75 married
Williams Alftta wife 65 married
Williams Frank son 25 single

1900 IA Woodbury Co Concord city
Williams Charles head Jan 1850 50 married 25yrs PA PA PA farming father Chas Williams b. PA mother Susan Strout/Strouk/Stronk b. PA
Williams Alafaretta wife May 1858 42 married 25yrs 11 born 7 liv PA PA PA
Williams Clara dau Jun 1882 18 IA PA PA
Williams Earl son Jul 1884 15 IA PA PA
Williams Elsie M dau Jan 1889 11 IA PA PA
Williams Edward son Dec 1890 9 IA PA PA
Williams Etel dau Nov 1893 7 IA PA PA
Williams Frank son Jun 1896 3 IA PA PA
Williams Bessie dau Mar 1899 1 IA PA PA
Savge Sophia minlaw 1820 70 wid 1 born 1 liv PA PA PA

1880 IA Black Hawk Co Cedar Falls city
Williams Charles 28 farmer PA PA PA
Williams Alferetta 21 wife PA PA PA
Williams Bertha 4 dau IA PA PA
Williams Ellaha? 2 son IA PA PA
living next door
Savage Ellahana 47 farmer PA PA PA
Savage Sophia 46 wife PA PA PA
Savage Harriett 14 dau PA PA PA

1870 PA Chester Co East Coventry
Savage Ellanan 41 stone mason PA
Savage Sophia 41 keeping house PA
Savage Daniel 16 PA
Savage Nathaniel 13 PA
Savage Alfaretta 10 PA
Savage David 8 PA
Savage Harriet 4 PA

found on findagrave.com
Alfaretta Savage Williams
Memorial Photos Flowers Edit

Birth: May 10, 1859
Pottstown Landing
Chester County
Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Apr. 25, 1935
Morningside
Woodbury County
Iowa, USA

Hinton Gazette April 25, 1935 WAS PIONEER IN PERRY TOWNSHIP:A large crowd from this community attended the funeral services for Mrs. Alsorotta Williams, Monday afternoon in Westcotts chapel. Rev. James J.Haines officiated and burial was in Floyd cemetery. Mrs. Williams died Friday in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bessie Anderson, in Morningside at the age of 75 years. Mrs.Williams was born at Pottstown, Pa., May 10, 1859. She had lived on their farm in Perry township for many years.Surviving are the widower, Chas. Williams; two sons, Earl and Frank of this township; five daughters, Mrs. Bertha Johnson of Los Angeles, Mrs. Clara Lormsbury of Sioux City, Mrs. Elsie McWilliams and Mrs. Bessie Anderson of Sioux City, and Ethel Christianson of Vesper, Kansas; one brother, Nathaniel Savage, of Hinton; one sister, Hattie Nelson, of New Hartford, Iowa; nine grandchildren and four great grand-children. Pallbearers were Charlie Clark, Guy Clark, Mr. Kersting, Gerald Harrington, Francis Rodwig and Leon Rodwig.

Family links:
Parents:
Elhanan W. Savage (1829 - 1885)
Sophia Lachman Savage (1829 - 1903)

Children:
Elhanan Williams (1878 - ____)*
Earl Williams (1884 - 1973)*
Ethel Williams Christiansen (1893 - 1986)*
Frank Wesley Williams (1896 - 1984)*

*Point here for explanation

Burial:
Floyd Cemetery
Sioux City
Woodbury County
Iowa, USA

Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]

Created by: Lisa
Record added: Apr 22, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 51463711

1920 IA Plymouth Co Perry tsp
Williams Charles head
Williams Alfretta wife
a son living with them but this census very hard to read

The Le Mars Sentinel
Fri Jun 21, 1940
Perry Center
Special correspondence
Charles Williams ,90, a resident in the southwest part of Perry township for many years, died Wed night in a Sioux city hosp of pneumonia. Funeral services were held Saturday at 2pm in the Wescott-Doughty=Chandler funeral home in Sioux City. Burial was in Floyd Cem. Surviving are two sons, Earl and Frank, of this vicinity; five daughters, Mrs Bertha Johnson of LA, Mrs Clara Lownsbery of Sioux City, Mrs Elsie McWilliams of Juntura, OR, Mrs Bessie Naeve of Erie, CP and Mrs Ethel Christianson of Verper, KS, 18 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.

Have you ordered his death cert to see if parents' names listed and match names on state census?

I can not find anything else. This is not my family.

Re: Who raised Charles Williams in PA?

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 12:10AM GMT
I had found all this info, but can't find where Charles was born. I keep looking in Chester Co., since he reported on an IA census that his parents were married in Parkerford. I went to the Woodbury Co. Courthouse in Sioux City, IA, to get a copy of his death record, but that one year's book was missing out of all the years and years they had. I'll have to try to order one from the state of Iowa, tho' Woodbury Co. wasn't sure the state has the book.
Thanks for your info!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic