Search for content in message boards

Looking for Relatives of Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney, from Mount Mellick, Queens County

Looking for Relatives of Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney, from Mount Mellick, Queens County

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gorman, Kearney
Hi,

I'm looking for descendants of my Great Great Grandparents, Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney. My mother was told that they came from Mount Mellick in Ireland.
They came to England somewhere around the 1860's and lived in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

There is at least one person on this site who has relatives that match, but I have not received a reply to my messages. Probably because they've ended up in the Spam folder!

If you are related or have any information, please get in touch as my family is relatively small and so it would mean alot to me.

Re: Looking for Relatives of Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney, from Mount Mellick, Queens County

Posted: 3 May 2010 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gorman
hey
hows life with a 9month old? hope all is well with you. Not got much further with the family but just seen this msg you posted a couple of years ago. I got back to 1800 with the Gormans. hope you can see my tree. Mt Mellick is in County Laois or Queens County
Rach
x

Re: Looking for Relatives of Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney, from Mount Mellick, Queens County

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 8:05PM GMT
My great aunt, Katherine Gorman, was born in Queens County in 1847. She emigrated to Manchester and married John Haslam, from Maryborough, in 1866. On the marriage certificate her father is given as Thomas, and the 1861 census of England lists her mother as Mary Gorman, b1821. She may have had a brother, Dennis, a sister, Mary, and another brother John (my ggf).
Any connections?
Rgds, Michael

Posted: 30 Oct 2010 7:34PM GMT
1881 England census;

Laurence Gorman; head, 39, Queens county, yardman in woodyard
Margaret; wife, 32 Bradford
John; son, 13 do errand boy (unemployed)
Mary; dtr; 12 do
Margaret; dtr, 8, do
Patrick; som, 6, do
Edward; son, 4, do
Catherine; dte, 2 do.
=========
Jack

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Gorman-Kearney
Mountmellick cemetery records 1905-2001 only;

Gorman Mary; 56, married, 13/2/1911
Kearney Thomas; RIC Sergt. married, kilrush, 27/10/1911
Gorman John; 60,labourer, single, borness, 12/12/1914
Gorman Margaret; 71, married, maryborough, 6/9/1922
Kearney Margaret A; 78, widow, avolia, 9/7/1928
Gorman John; 87, single, lab/ forge st. 27/1/1929
Gorman Mary; 6child,(ftr.James), acragar, 15/2/1929
Gorman child; 2 (ftr.James), 10/3/1931
Kearney M; 2 (dtr. Thomas) market st, 31/7/1932
Gorman John; 95, merchant, married, market st, 18/8/1936
Gorman John; 4 child,(ftr. James) lord edward st, 14/7/1941
Kearney James; 73, farmer, single, avolia, 16/2/1950
Gorman James; 70, farmer, married, lord edward st, 11/7/1957
Gorman Mary; 68, widow, lord edward st, 12/10/1959
Gorman Thomas; 72, farmer, married, derrycloney,14/11/1959
Kearney Thomas; 68, lab/married,irishtown, 28/11/1961
Kearney child; harbour st, 3/8/1968
Gorman Francis; 62, farmer, married, borness, 5/9/1975
Gorman James; 9/2/1978
Gorman Daniel; 56, farmer, widower, derrycloney,2/4/1980
Gorman James; 86, farmer, widower, lr. forest,3/4/1980
Kearney Bridget; 80, widow, irishtown, 2/6/1983
Gorman infant; 1day, borness, 10/10/1983
Gorman Joseph; 86, farmer, single, borness,2/2/1984
Gorman John; 69, salesman,married, connolly st, 20/9/1990
Gorman Margaret; 62, single, derrycloney, 28/10/1990
Kearney Betty; 55, maried, harbour st, 20/8/1994
Gorman Fintan; 83, retired, married, hill 60, 24/1/1999
Gorman Mrs; 83, widow, borness, 1/4/2001
------------
Jack

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: CRAGAN, DUNNE, DELANEY, GORMAN, KEARNEY
Sorry, I can't help you with Lawrence Gorman and Margaret Kearney. However, their son Patrick married a gal named Cecilia Young. Cecilia's mother was Lucy Cragan. Lucy's parents, Frank Cragan and Mary Dunne, were my ggg-grandparents. Frank and Mary lived in Mount Mellick, County Laois, and during the famine years moved with their children to Bradford, England where they worked as weavers in the mills. Their son Stephen, my gg-grandfather married Anna Delaney and emigrated to the US where they settled their children in Massachusetts. At least two other Cragan brothers joined Stepehen in the US. I believe most (if not all) of Frank and Mary Cragan's daughters remained in England.

I would be interested to hear from you and learn more about Lucy Cragan and her descendants.

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Cragan
wow this is fab! thanks Impetit. Patrick Gorman and Cecelia Young are my great grandparents. they had four children, Lucy (Moose sue's grandma), Edward (my Grandad), Thomas and a third son who died from sceptacaemia whilst young(either Michael or Bernard i think his name was- need to check)
i'll invite you to look at my tree. Interestingly my dad is named Stephen - his brothers are Edward, John, James Francis (Frank) and sisters, Mary, sheila, eileen.
best wishes
rachael

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 4:25AM GMT
I have John Gorman & Julia Gorman, living in Bradford, West Yorkshire in 1861, both being born in Ireland with parents born in Ireland. I know nothing else about the history beyond Bradford.

Ancestry has linked a few relatives above them, but I have no verification, so I go no further than these two.

John was a wool-dyer, and in 1881, they lived on Carver Court in St. Peter's Parish.

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 10:37PM GMT
Hi thanks for your reply. i don't have either of those names in my tree and there are three or four Gorman branches in Bradford. good luck with your research
per page

Find a board about a specific topic