Search for content in message boards

Spurlock Gibson

Spurlock Gibson

Keith Gibson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Rice
My grandfather, SPURLOCK GIBSON b.1861 Robins Run,Ky. married MOLLIE RICE b.1863 Denton, Ky.(d. of Charlie Rice). I'm trying to find out who SPURLOCK'S father was. I DON'T KNOW WHO MY GREAT GRANDFATHER WAS.......HELP!!

Re: Spurlock Gibson

Posted: 8 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Damron
After I posted my first message about my ggrandfather Gibson my older brother informed me that he was told years ago that during the civil war a young boy was taken in and raised by a DAMRON family, and this young boy grew up to be either our grandfather or ggrandfather. If this story is correct it would have to be my grandfather SPURLOCK GIBSON, who was born around 1860. There is a record of SPURLOCK GIBSON'S death in carter county: died 10/09/1928, age:68, place: carter, volume:044, cert: 21761, deathvol: 28, but now I'm wondering where the name GIBSON came in. Also, my family (WV Gibsons) has always spelled our last name with a "B", but my cousins who presently live in carter county KY spell their name with a "P", and no one seems to know why. "GEEZ", This is turning out to be a MESS.

Posted: 8 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson
The only Gibson listed in the 1880 Carter census is Shadell and Elizabeth Gibson, in precinct 7, which is the same area you are speaking of. There were no children listed. Is it possible your grandfather went by another name?

SUE (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:18PM GMT
Surnames: GIBSON
THE DEATH CERTIFICATE MAY HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU SEEK ONLY IF THE INFORMANT FOR THE CERTIFICATE KNEW THE INFORMATION. A LOT OF TIMES THE INFORMATION IS EITHER LEFT BLANK OR "UNKNOWN" IS WRITTEN IN. I HAVE ACCESS TO THE STATE INDEXES FOR 1870. LET ME SEE (ON TUESDAY WHEN I GO TO THE LIBRARY) WHAT I CAN FIND FOR YOU. IF THE 1880 CARTER COUNTY INDEX WAS TAKEN FROM THE SOUNDEX, THEN UNLESS YOU HAD A CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 10, YOU'RE NOT IN IT. I CAN ALSO SEE IF THERE IS A DAMRON FAMILY INVOLVED OR LIVING NEAR A GIBSON FAMILY. PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR FURTHER INFO ON THE DEATH CERTIFICATE.

Posted: 12 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:19PM GMT
Thanks to everyone for the help. I have already applied for a copy of Spurlock Gibson's death cert. (about 2 wks. ago). Hopefully I'll be able to find out who his dad was when I get it. Thank again, K.G.

Posted: 21 Aug 2003 12:37AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 12:19PM GMT
Hi, please email me. Spurlock is my great grandfather by his 2nd marriage! The last child he fathered is my Grandpa. Id love to exchange info. M Highland

Posted: 22 Aug 2003 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2004 6:00PM GMT
Hi Spurlock was my great grandfather. The last child he fathered was my grandpa. Please email me. We can exchange info. Sincerely, M. Highland

Posted: 18 Aug 2005 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Damron/Dameron/Coleman/Blair/Gibson/Robinette...many more
I have a Spurlock Damron in my family....from many years ago....it may be possible that there is a link there...you may contact me at bkoscelny@fullnet.net

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 8:41PM GMT
William Gibson had a son Elijah Gibson who had a son David Dameron Gibson, who had a son Spurlock Gibson.

Spurlock married Mollie Rice and had 7 sons and 2 daughters. One of his sons was Joseph Gipson (in searching records, it was Spurlock's birth certificate that might have been messed up with the P versus the B).

Joseph Gipson was my grandfather.

Adding to the bit of confusion, is that after Mollie died Spurlock got remarried to a younger woman in either Paintsville or Prestonsburg Kentucky.

I used to always hear the urban legend that we came from Dameron's and that David was adopted. I and others find no truth to that.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 2:58AM GMT
Hi Spurlock Gipson or Gibson married to Mollie Rice then remarried was my Great grandfather, my grandfather was Joseph Gipson married to Ruth Littleton Gipson. We do not know a lot about Joseph's family, we do know Spurlock remarried and had more children. We would love to know more about them. Can you help with this, are any of them still living???? What about their children???? We have an annual Gipson, Carroll and Littleton Reunion every year. This year it is on Sept. 22nd 2012 at the Seniors Citizens Center in Grayson Ky., would love for any of you guys to come. Looking forward to hearing from you. Mary Lou
per page

Find a board about a specific topic