Search for content in message boards

William Wisner

William Wisner

Ted Long (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2003 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2005 2:49PM GMT
Surnames: Wisner
I have tracked William Wisner to West Salem, Polk County in the 1930 census. Looking for additional information, maybe death record. He was born in New York in 1837. Lived in Michigan, and Nebraska.

Re: William Wisner

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 2:52AM GMT
Hi Ted:

I found William W Wisner on the 1920 but not the 1930. I also found his death date as 1923-so was that a typo?

Name: Wisner, William W.
County: Marion
Death Date: 21 Sep 1923
Certificate: 634

Marion County is just across a bridge from Polk County-Salem is divided by the bridge.
You can order a copy of his death certificate from:
Oregon State Archives
800 Summer Street, NE
Salem, OR 97310
Tel: 503-373-0701
Fax: 503-373-0953
They will take a credit card over the phone and usually have it to you within 5 days. It will cost $10.00 if you live out of state.
Hope this helps.
Laura

Pat Birkel (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2004 5:19AM GMT
Surnames: Wisner. Young.
I am quite sure this William Wisner is my grandfather. I have quite a lot of information. They lived first at Bethel (a town now gone) and then on Wallace Road in West Salem. But I have not been able to find anything about his father, Cornelius Duboise Wisner, or his mother, Angeline Young (who was said to be much younger than "CD"). My grandmother was born when they were in Nebraska.
I have done a lot of searching. William was born at "An old war camp at Mt. Morris New York on July 4 1837". His complete name is : William Washington Lafayette Wisner.
I would certainly like to know how you found him and why you are tracing him!!!!! And I am dying to know how they connect to the "first" Wisner in Orange County new York.

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 5:48AM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2004 3:46AM GMT
Sorry! I misspoke! William Wisner was my GREAT grandfather.

Ted (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2004 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Wisner
Thanks for the response. My wife and I have been doing family research for about two years. Wendy (Wisner) Long is a descendent ( great-great grand daughter) of Thompson Wisner, who would have been William's brother. Thompson's mother was Tamson Youngs, which could have been Angeline's sister?? I just found the death record of Tamson and it said her father was Rollins Youngs. We have been researching all of the children of C. D. It's funny, Wendy's grandfather is still alive and he says C D stood for Clarence Durrin. Most of C.D's children stayed in Michigan, but I traced William out to Oregon, through Nebraska. I knew William had married Mary Haas in Hillsdale Co., Michigan.

It has been very frustrating trying to tie CD into the Orange County, New York Wisners. I have the Wisner book which hasn't helped. It is very odd that C.D. is buried in the same cemetary in Stanton, MI, Forest Hill as Moses Wisner, who was born in 1797. Moses's son William Wright Wisner is also buried there. I have not been able to find C D prior to 1850. I did stumble on something Saturday researching a record for Cornelius Wiser, I was hoping it was a spelling error, but have not been back to check further.

We would love to exchange any information. We have been in contact with a descendent of Jesse(Jet) that lives here in Michigan. I have sent away for C D's death record, another brother ( I am not sure if he was a junior), but it might help. He lived in Eaton Co., MI.

Please keep in touch.

Ted & Wendy (Wisner) Long

you how happy I am to have heard from you.Pat Birkel (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2004 2:35AM GMT
Dear Ted,
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear from you. I too have combed the "Wisner Book". (And I want to mention this....I found not long ago a death date for a Corneliius Wisner in Nebraska. So????? the site mentioned must have been a third one if this is he.
But now I am going to directly quite from a letter from one of his daughters Mary Wisner Voss written to my mother in 1965 from Albany Oregon:
"Not much to write about but I'll hand you some family history. I never could get your Mother interested. The wisner's Pa's folks were Swiss. The old name was Weesner but was changed later. They were from Swiss Hussers (spelling?) brought by England and were sent here and given a grant of land in Orange county New York and were to fight for England but joined the colonies and fought for the U.S. side.
Pa was William Washington Layfayette Wisner. Born at an old war camp at Mt. Morris N York on July 4. 1837. His father was CD or Cornelous (spelling?) Duboise. Pa's Mother was C.D.'s second wife was Angeline Young born in Maine or Massachusetts much younger than C.D. (he was older than her father.) She died in 1841 at birth of twin girls one died and Pa's sister married Lew Hoxsie. Then he married Tamsen Young a still younger sister of Angeline. They moved to Michigan later. I don't know the date. I have quite a bit on the Young family but this will have to do for now.
Aunt Mary."
Ted~~~~she never got back about the Young family and of course I have been lookiing for them too.

Pat Birkel (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2004 3:12AM GMT
Dear Ted~~~~
first..a typo in last message: should have been: his third WIFE not third site!
I believe I would be Angeline's great great grandaughter. So your wife and I have the same GGgrandfather but our GGGrandmothers were sisters. I am really so glad to hear that it appears this way to you too....a confirmation of something I was beginning to doubt since I could find nothing on these Youngs at all.
Clues?
1. I had been wondering about the Michigan connection too. There was that govenor....and I didn't find too many more Wisner's there. But it's strange we wouldn't have heard about that isn't it? Or perhaps they didn't know.
In that regard....William's wife, Mary Catherine Hass (so spelled) had two brothers who were in politics in a way. Christian was a City Councilman in St. Louis I was told and Alfred was a City Councilman in Seattle and served a short time as "acting mayor", I actually found this one in a History of Seattle (The city councilman part but not the "acting mayor") I also have a couple pictures of his home there. The interior is quite interesting .. full of what I would consider Craftsman Style furniture. (I have to dig these up!)
I believe Mary Catherine's father was the immigrant in this line of Hass's.
2. I have what I consider a very beautiful walnut chest of drawers made by William. I believe he and one of his sons worked some as cabinet makers. They felled the trees at the home site on Wallace road and built their very nice house themselves (using their own lumber! The women made all the carpets too.) The reason I mention this is that in the Wisner Book there were some cabinetmakers mentioned in the Finger Lakes region of New York...(a region I know practically nothing about but that's where "Mt. Morris" is.)
It will take me a while to find it (I am at that point in genealogy where I definitely need to stop and organize my material!) but there was a nice article in the Salem Statesman newspaper about one of their wedding anniversaries including their pictures. (In the late 1920's I believe.)
3. In that article they mentioned that their families had both been in the Revolutionary War. (Mary's connection to the Revolution was from the Croman's.) From the Wisner book you know that one of the first Wisner's two sons "may" have signed the Declaration of Independence. It would be interesting to find out if that one's ours because there's a lot written about him that would be helpful.
Once again, I can hardly believe that we have connected....but now...how do we find that great great great?? It's so tantalizing because that is probably the only generation between the first Wisner's sons and CD. Does it seem that way to you?
I'm certainly interested in any information you have.
Pat

Pat Birkel (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2004 3:21AM GMT
Well, in my excitement I see I jumped to a wrong conclusion...Wendy is descended fromWilliam W.'s brother and from my gggrandmother Angeline's Young's sister Tamsen who W.W. married after Angeline's death. Have I got it right now? An interesting family connectionPat

Ted Long (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2004 12:13PM GMT
Wendy's grandfather is a wood carver by trade. We have a few things in our house that he has made. It definitely is Wisner trade. Please send me your email address to longsix6@yahoo.com. I will send you more info. As I see it, Wendy is the great, great, great grand daughter of CD, from Tamsen.

Keep in touch

Ted & Wendy

Posted: 27 Jun 2009 11:37PM GMT
Surnames: WISNER
I have read through this thread on William Wisner. My interest is in James B. Wisner, his son. Around 1903 James married Edna L. Wallace, the great-grandmother of my step-father. Their marriage produced two sons, Lewis E. and Roy L. I've not found much information on these two sons outside two enumerations in the 1910 census: 1) 16 April 1910 in Clatskanie, Columbia, Oregon (all listed as lodgers), and 2) 27 April 1910 in Portland, Multnomah, Oregon. Edna's daughters from her first marriage were Orpha and Iva Newby. Orpha was my step-dad's grandmother, and he doesn't recall her ever mentioning that she had half-brothers. Any info appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic