Search for content in message boards

Gool G. Gunhus

Gool G. Gunhus

Les Marcuson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering if someone who has a copy of the History of Dane County, 1880 could look up something for me. There is a biography of Gool G. Gunhus on page 1092. I believe he is the brother to my great-grandfather Erick Gunhus. I am hoping that his biography might contain some information about their parents, especially his mother. If someone could check this out for me I would appreciated it greatly. Thanks.

-Les Marcuson- I

Re: Gool G. Gunhus

Dag T. Hoelseth (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2004 7:58PM GMT
Gool must be a very Americanized name, as I can't think of what the original name could be! Anyway, was your Eirik Gunhus married to a Astrid Aslesdtr. Lien from Ål (Aal) in Buskerud county?

http://www.aal-bygdebok.no/003004-.htm

DTH

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 10:15PM GMT
I think Gool is the American verison of the Norwegian name Gul/Guul. You are right. Erick is my great-grandfather and Astrid is my great-grandmother. Their daughter Etta is my grandmother on my father's side.

-Les-

Gool G. Gunhus -Town of Primrose - 1880s

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 3:55AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Gunhus, Erikson, Lewis
From the “History of Dane County, Wiscosnsin-1880” there is a biographical sketch under the ‘Town of Primrose’ for Gool G. Gunhus, Secs. 31 and 30; P.O. Primrose; born March 30, 1836, in Buskeruds, Amt Aggershuus Stift, Norway; his father, Gonder, died in Norway, and his mother married E. Erikson, came to America with her son in 1849. He resided on Jefferson Prairie, Wis., until 1854, when he came to Primrose and bought of the United States 80 acres of his farm; his brother was a partner, but G.G. bought him out and now owns over 329 acres –80 acres in Perry. He married, June 8, 1862, Julia Lewis, born Feb. 6, 1841, in Voss, Bergen Stift, Norway; they have two children --- Clara T. and George B., both born on the Primrose farm. Here has built a 30x50x18 basement barn, and, in 1873, the best farmhouse in Primrose; it is 22x34, two stories, and is a spacious and pleasant home for the man who began like in Rock Co., Wis., at $3 per month as a farm hand. Himself and wife belong to the Hauges Synod Lutheran Church; is a Republican.

Re: Gool G. Gunhus -Town of Primrose - 1880s

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 11:21PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

-Les-

Dag T. Hoelseth (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2004 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Gunhus Gundhuus Lien
Well, Guul is not a common name today, but I find many males named Guul in the 1801 and 1865 censuses. It seems that Guul Gundersen Gunhus descends from one of the Gundhuus(*) farms in Modum, Buskerud amt (now county). Unfortunately, it is difficult to find your family in the censuses, because (at least several of) the persons you enquire about were born between the 1801 census and 1865 census. One would probably have to check the parish book to get a general view and then churchbooks and probate records.

Astrid (Lien) Gunhus (married to Eirik Gunhus) was, as you surely know, from Ål (Aal) in Buskerud, and it is easier to find her family in the census. Most of them emigrated eventually.

DTH

(*) As it was spelt in the 1865 census.

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 11:30PM GMT
You are right their is nothing in the Norwegian census about them but I have been able to get information on their parents and grandparents from other sources.

-Les-
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions