Search for content in message boards

segina/shegina

segina/shegina

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: segina/shegina, Starasinic(h), Klepec
Hi both of my great grandparents on my grandmothers side came from cronelj, slovenia. I'm not sure what part of slovenia my great great granparents were from. I know that their surnames were Starasinic(h) and Klepec. We got the surname S(h)egina from my grandmothers father who had blond hair and blue eyes. I really dont know much about this side of my family so if anyone thay have any feel free to contact me. Thankx

Re: segina/shegina

B. Lapajne, Ph.D. (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2005 7:15PM GMT
All three surnames can be found in the Crnomelj area. Therefore it is quite possible that they all originate there. When did your grandmother or her parents immigrate to the US? Hope this helps.

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 2:05AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Segina/Shegina, Klepec, Starasinic(H), Karl, Kusnick
yes my grandmothers parents were born in Crnomelj, Slovenia but didnt marry until they seperatly immigrated to the US. My great grandmother was in her late teens when she came a my great grandfather was in his twenties. They might have immigrated in the early 1900's sometime before 1915 when they had their first child Nicholas( 9 oct.)

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 4:47PM GMT
Check out EllisIslandrecords.org. There are 47 Starasinic listed, the majority from Preloka and Podzemelj. There are, however, a few from Crnomelj. There are 27 Klepec from a number of different areas. And there are 58 Segina, the majority of these are from Croatia. Should your ancestors be from Crnomelj, Preloka or Podzemelj, these parishes belong to the Archbishopric of Ljubljana. The records for these three parishes are located in its archives.

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 8:35PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Klepec, Karl, Kusnick, Segina, Starasinic, weiss
thankx, i have visited ellisisland.org but when i searched for klepec, starasinic, and segina there was no results that came up. could you possably e-mail me the three results from the web site.

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 4:25PM GMT
Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to email the Ellis Island results. I can only suggest that you go to : www.EllisIslandrecords.org and try all three names again. You should have no problem getting the information this time around.

jan bohan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: Segina/Shegina/Stegina
I have been researching the Segina/shegina/stegina name for a few months. Our family name was originally segina but a t was added in the 1930's so I thought. After checking the US census, I found what I believe relatives with the T in the name much earlier. My GF was Ivan(john) segina . He came to the us in1906 and was listed on ellis isl. site as ivan Legina. This has been corrected on the EI site. His Baptismal cert list the Parish of St Mary in Kormanje in the county of Karlovac.Croatia.His mother was Anna Kolar, father was Janko Segina. II don't know if there is a connection with your family, but email and we cancompare .

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 2:26AM GMT
Do you know how I could contact the Parish of St Mary in Kormanje in the county of Karlovac for information about the surname Segina? I was also wondering if my great grand father could be a relative of yours because he had nine half brothers. I sadly do not know either of his parents names. I only know that he had light skin, blond hair, blue eyes and fought in the Austrian War.

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 2:57AM GMT
What are the given names of your SEGINA? What are their approximate birth years. Where in the US did they settle. Also Ellis Island (port of NY) was not the only port of entry used during that time... as I have access to the others perhaps I can help.

If they came in the early 1900s then it is unlikely he fought in any war. WW I did not begin until 1914 and things were relatively calm for several decades prior to that.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:27AM GMT
My grfa was named Ivan or John.He came into Ellis Island and settled in Branford CT. I have found Mato and Shephen arriving before on the boat Trave. I think he had step-bro named Matto, Louis(Chicago), Anthony(CT), Stephan(PA). He was from st Mary's parish. I have a birth cert which has his father as Janko Segina and mother is Anna Kolar. I think Anna was the second wife. I have letters my grmo wrote to the brothers and my aunt visited the family in Restovo in 1989.You can reach me at my email, janicebohan@hotmail.com. Sounds like we may be a match
per page

Find a board about a specific topic