Search for content in message boards

Peterson, Hildur Augusta b. 26 Aug. 1881 in Sweden

Peterson, Hildur Augusta b. 26 Aug. 1881 in Sweden

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 2:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peterson, Pettersson, Lindstrom, Holmberg
Looking for any information about Hildur Augusta Peterson (Pettersson), b. 26 Aug. 1881 in Ludvika, Dalarna, Sweden. She came to the U.S. in 1902 (destination: "aunt Carolina Lindstrom, 5269 Dearborn St. Chicago") and remained in the city until 1923 when she briefly returned to Sweden; then came back to Chicago in the fall that same year at age 42 - still unmarried. Her destination at that time was "friend Andrew Anderson, 7347 Blackstone Av. Chicago."
Can she be found in any census during this time (1910, 1920, 1930)? Or in any newspaper article, telephone directory etc.? I believe she later married a man named Holmberg. She died 7 December 1965 - most likely in North Carolina. Her Social Security # may have been 336-24-8510.
If you know anything about Hildur or any of the people I've mentioned above, please contact me at mariaakerlind@hotmail.com Thank you.

Re: Peterson, Hildur Augusta b. 26 Aug. 1881 in Sweden

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Peterson, Lindstrom, Anderson
Hello,

I found a Hilda Peterson in the 1910 census living at 4737 Woodlawn Ave. She is listed as a cook/servant in the household of Marvin A. Farr. She was born in Sweden. Her age is 29, and her immigration year is 1902. This may be the one you are looking for. It is hard to say since that is a very common name. I could not find her in the 1920 or 1930 censuses when I put in her year of birth (give or take 2 years).

I also found Caroline Lindstrom in the 1900 census living at 5269 Dearborn. She is listed as a widow, born in 1857 in Sweden. She immigrated in 1890. Living with her are her son, Frederik Lindstrom (born 1875 in Sweden, immigrated in 1890) and her sister, Mary Lindstrom (born in 1849 in Sweden, immigrated in 1888). I could not find Caroline/Carolina in the other censuses.

I checked the 1920 census for Andrew Anderson for the ward that the Blackstone address is in. There is an Andrew Anderson living at 7344 Blackstone (not 7347). He is 37 years old and was born in Iowa. His parents were born in Denmark. His wife Josephine is 36 years old and was born in Illinois. Their son, Howard, is 4 years old and was born in Illinois.

Good luck in your search.

Posted: 14 Jan 2008 8:33AM GMT
Hi and thanks so much for your help in my search for Hildur and her family!
Is anyone able to locate her and/or the others mentioned above in any Chicago newspaper articles or telephone directories?

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 7:47AM GMT
Surnames: Peterson/Pettersson, Holmberg
Hello again,

Is it possible that "my" Hildur was already married by 1930 and is listed in that census with the last name of Holmberg? Her S.S.# was issued in Illinois and if I remember correctly, the Social Security system was introduced in 1936?
Any new information is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Posted: 1 Apr 2008 4:10PM GMT
Hello,

I recently got some new information with regards to our "missing" relative Hildur Peterson which, hopefully, will help locate her in Chicago records.
Hildur's Social Security application from 1946 lists her name as Hildur Holmberg and her "present mailing address" as 913 N. Leavington(?) Ave.
Her employer was Varsity Inn at 3242 Foster Ave.
Can anyone tell me which part of Chicago she lived and worked in? Which neighborhood Lutheran church would she have attended? Can anyone, with the help of the address, tell whether or not she was married in 1946?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Posted: 3 Apr 2008 10:30PM GMT
Hi. I don't have access to newspapers or telephone books from that time, but both of the addresses you mention are on the north side of Chicago. The one on Foster was a very Swedish area for a long time. It is very near North Park University. I don't recognize the street name of the home address, but it may be Leavitt. You may get some help from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America for churches in the area. Here is a link that discusses genealogy queries: http://www.elca.org/archives/geneal.html

If I can think of any other leads I'll post another reply.

Good Luck

David.

Posted: 4 Apr 2008 5:17PM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply David!
Excellent idea to get in touch with the Evangelical Lutheran Church - I'll definitely give that a try. I live in Europe and therefore cannot visit Chicago in person at the present time. Perhaps I could try to locate an up-to-date e-mail address for one of the churches in the north part of the city instead.
Again, thank you for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic