Search for content in message boards

BOYNTON, Frederick E. - d: 1905

BOYNTON, Frederick E. - d: 1905

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Boynton, Temple, Van Holten, Erickson
Frederick E. Boynton was born in Peterborough, New Hampshire, March 19, 1839, and died at the home of his daughter, Nellie M. Van Holten in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 11, 1905.
Mr. Boynton was a widely and well-known citizen of New Lisbon, and a prominent veteran of the Civil War. Mr. Boynton with his parents immigrated from New Hampshire to Wisconsin in 1856, since which time he has resided in New Lisbon, with the exception of the last three weeks.
He was one of nine children all of whom grew to maturity. He served with distinction for four years in the 4th Wisconsin Cavalry in the Civil war.
On July 23, 1861, leaving the carpenter’s trade which was the profession of his youth, he enlisted in Co. K, 6th Wis. Vol. Infantry, and after two years service was discharged for disability. His command formed a part of the famous Iron Brigade, because of their firmness in resisting attack, ability of endurance, and determination in assault. At the beginning of McClellan’s Peninsula campaign, Mr. Boynton was placed on detached service, and given a position as guard at Gen. Gibbon’s headquarters. He acted in this capacity until he became ill with the sickness which resulted in his discharge and from which he never fully recovered.
After his return home, he engaged in clerking, remaining in this occupation until 1883, when he embarked in the flour, feed and grocery business. He continued in this business until his retirement.
He was married in 1866 do Anna E. Temple, a native of New England, a very estimable woman whose life departed so suddenly and unexpectedly, Dec. 13, 1904.
About three weeks ago deceased left the old homestead to take up his resident in Milwaukee with his daughter Mrs. Van Holten and it was there the summons of death came to him as suddenly and unawaited as to his beloved wife, in the form of heart failure last Sunday evening.
During the many years of residence here and through his ever cheerful disposition and hospitable nature, Mr. Boynton won to him a host of lasting friends which the record of time will never efface.
He was the father of six children, five of whom survive him, Frank, of Salt Lake City, Utah; Mrs. N. M. Van Holten, Milwaukee; Mrs. W. Erickson, Minneapolis, Percy of Rhinelander and Ray of Minneapolis, Minn., all of whom will attend the funeral.
The remains were brought to this city from Milwaukee and funeral services will be held at the M. E. Church today at 2 p.m., Rev. Hoisington conducting. Burial will be in the family lot in the New Lisbon cemetery. To the bereaved children and relatives, we extend our heartfelt sympathy. (New Lisbon Times, 14 Jun 1905)

Re: BOYNTON, Frederick E. - d: 1905

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello ~ I am the great great granddaughter of Frederick E Boynton. Hazel Claire Boynton Wright was my grandmother. How are you related to him?

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: BOYNTON
I do have info on a Boynton family and may info may tie into yours. I am from Juneau Co
Pat

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: BOYNTON
ps: My family name I mentioned to you is BOYDEN so I may be contacting you in vain. My family is ties to the Hammond family.
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions