Search for content in message boards

waldo

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cardiff
My grandfather was a logger in Waldo BC In 1913 twin girls were born to him and my grandmother. May 22 1913. They . died at birth. I was wondering where they might have been buried. Or if anyone knows of my grandparents. James and Margaret Cardiff. I know my grandfather lived there before he got married in 1912. They probably left Waldo between 1913-1915. Thanks for any help. Do you think they (the twins) would have been buried in Fernie?
Margaret Martin
Posted: 27 Jan 2010 3:04AM GMT
Hi Margaret

They could be buried in a number of places. Not sure if you are aware, but Waldo was around until the 1960's when it was demolished due to the building of the Libby Dam in the US. Waldo now sits at the bottom of the reservoir. My mom can remember that they did have to demolish all the buildings prior to the reservoir being filled. What she cannot tell me is if there was a cemetery and what did they do with the remains in the cemetary if it was to be flooded? Did they remove and re-bury the remains in a nearby community? Not sure where you would find the answer to that except possibliy in the BC Provincial Archives maybe. There are three other cemeteries in the area that they may have been buried in (other than Fernie) - Wardner, Jaffray and Elko. I was at the Elko cemetery this past summer and unfortunately there are no records of who is buried there and the cemetery is not in good shape. I have not been to the Jaffray or Wardner cemeteries to see what they are like. You could try the Fernie Cemetery however. The historical society is currently working on the cemetery to bring all the records up to date. The cemetery is called St. Margaret's and you can find it online. There is a search engine, but not sure how much work they have done to say how complete it is. They spent a lot of time mapping it out and were working to identify all the graves. Check out that website and see what you can find. Here is the link -

http://www.fernieheritagecemetery.com/index.php?pclass%5B%5D...=

Lori
Posted: 27 Jan 2010 3:33AM GMT
Hi Margaret,

I don't see any Cardiff deaths in 1913. I see they were married in Ontario. Could the twins have been born outside of BC? Unfortunately, births in Canada are not available for that year.

Judy

Re: Waldo BC , CARDIFF, James , Margaret <1913>

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 7:24AM GMT
Surnames: CARDIFF
Hi, Do you know where your grandparents settled after 1915?
Do you know Where your Grandfather, Where your Grandmother were born? Do you know any aprox birth years?
What was your Grandmothers Maiden Name.?
Do you know When,where your grandparents were married?

All Deaths that occur in the Province - are required to be registered in the Province where the event took place.
It is possible that your Grandfather - was a logger In Waldo B.C. - but may have lived elsewhere -
Cheers,Stella

Searched 1911 Census for BC - for James CARDIFF - with 0 results.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 5:24PM GMT
All deaths were required to be registered, but the reality was at times this did not happen I think. My mom had a brother born in Elko who died within a month of being born and he was not registered with the province - neither the birth or death. Could it be due to the fact that many of these small communities did not have the resources to register the event at the time and they possibly needed to go to a larger center which may not have been convenient?

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: CARDIFF,James
Yes - that could happen. I know that there are many people where the birth had not been registered - later [many times around pension time ] there is a late registration.
As far as the death? -
Cheers, Stella

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 3:05PM GMT
There is also a cemetery at Baynes Lake just up the hill from Waldo. My family lived in the area for 50 years but they say that the Waldo people usually used the Baynes Lake cemetery.

I also have early directories for this area which I could check-advise if wanted.

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 9:18PM GMT
This seems to indicate that they were both living at McNab logging camp and were married in Ontario (Renfrew County):

17274-12 (Renfrew Co) James CARDIFF, 30, not given, McNab, Waldo British Columbia, s/o George CARDIFF, farmer & Esther TAYLOR married Margaret Bella DUFF, 26, McNab, Arnprior, d/o Peter DUFF, farmer & Catherine STEWART, witn: Peter A. DUFF of Sudbury & Mary DUFF of Stewartville, 12 June 1912, McNab

This may have been at the Gold Creek camp.

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 9:44PM GMT
OOPs I see McNab is an area in Renfrew county where they married.

Do you have this:
http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry/Ontario/Born-1886/Du/Duff-fa...

Re: waldo

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 9:51PM GMT
In the 1911 census James Cardiff is still living with his parents at McNab in Renfrew county, Ontario.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=37717&...

His wife to be is there also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions