Search for content in message boards

CHANEY,CHENEY,HARDESTY

CHANEY,CHENEY,HARDESTY

Randy Ward Chaney (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information on the Chaney's, the Hardesty's
the Gassaways of Calvert County Md. specifically,
Martha Ellen Chaney Louis andrew Chaney Nancy Anne Chaney Richard Chaney Ruth Chaney Joseph Chaney. Mary Gassaway, Elizabeth benson, Caroline Higgins, William Estep Hardesty George Lewis Hardesty, Eva Hardesty, Caroline Pricilla Hardesty, Chelsey Hardesty, Thomas Hardesty, Aquilla Hardesty, Catherine Hardesty, Margaret Alice Hardesty, Elizabeth Hardesty, John Hardesty and Edmund Hardesty.
I'm trying to find out if any of these People moved to Ohio and if any of Them, moved to Michigam. I'm also looking for ancesters of Louis Andrew Chaney, and where They came from. Louis andrew Chaney died on April 25,1865 and was Burried at Shiloh Cemetary Calvert Co. Md.
Thank You,
Randy W. Chaney
213-666-2313 1745 N. Mariposa Ave. Apt.1.

Los Angelas California

CHANEY, HARDISTY

Posted: 23 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2004 5:21PM GMT
Yes, Thomas HARDISTY b 26 May 1764 Anne Arundel Co MD, d in Green Co IN, m Nancy Anne Chaney b AA Co MD, d Coshoctin Co OH.
This family also has ties to Muskingham Co OH.

CHANEY, CHENEY, HARDESTY

Loretta Mohler (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: CHANEY, BENSON, HARDESTY, O'CONNER, FRY, MCGINNIS
RANDY; I can help a little maybe.JOSEPH CHANEY born in Anne Arundel Co.MD. 1736. His great-grandfather
(no first name given, but I suspect John) came from England with Lord Baltimore in 1632. He said his father was Joseph Chaney a farmer of moderate conditions. In 1758 Joseph married Elizabeth Benson
from England. They had two sons; Joseph and Thomas.
They had 5 daughters;Comfort, Ruth, Elizabeth, Sophia,Margaret and Nancy. I do not know the order of birth of these children. I know Joseph married
Elizabeth O'Conner in 1803 in Md. Thomas married Ann
Fry in 1817 in Coshocton Co. OHio. He died in 1845.
His widow, moved to DeHalb Co. Ind. Comfort Chaney
married Levi Fairall in Md. they walked carrying their neccessaties on the horses, into Ohio. Ruth Chaney married EDmond/Edward Hardesty dec.25, 1792 in A.A.Co,Md. Sophia Chaney married George Hardesty
nov.1, 1812 in Coshocton Co Ohio.I'am not sure who the other two girls married but I think one of them
married Samuel McGinnis. In 1810, Joseph and Elizabeth moved to Ohio,settling first in Know Co. and then a year later moving farther south into uskingum Co. The same year Coshocton Co, was formed,
splitting the farm into both Cosh. and Musk. Co's.
Young Joseph was on the Cosh. side and Old Joseph on the Musk.side. Their land was about 3 and1/2 miles
north of Frazeysburg, ohio. Elizabeth died at the age of 65 while milking. Joseph had been a minute man during the revolution and had fought at Brandywine, Monnouth and other smaller engagements. He was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He died in 1832 at the age of 96.
While many of his descendants have moved on, many have stayed, and the names Chaney and Hardesty are well represented in this area today. Loretta

Hardesty/Ohio

Lynn Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HARDESTY
You don't mention a time frame, but my 4G grandmother Priscilla Hardesty b Calvert Co., MD,1764 d 6 Jan 1827, m John Gibson b 1756 d ca 1828.She was the daughter of Joseph Hardesty and Rebecca Lawrence. Priscilla and John had at least nine children, at least two of whom, George (my ancestor) and William, came to Ohio, settling in the Belmont and Noble County areas. There are many Gibsons here today. Do you have info on Rebecca Lawrence?

William Chaney, b1774 Calvert Co.

Posted: 7 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2002 3:05PM GMT
William, b. 1774, Calvert Co., MD and family moved to Butler Co., OH in summer of 1816 from Calvert Co., MD. Wiliam d. 1834 in Bulter Co. His wife Phoebe Ann, nee Wilkinson, and family moved to Clinton Co., IN where she d. 1843. My ancester, Henry, son of William, moved to Clay Co., IL with some of his brothers in the middle 1840's where he d. 1894. His son, Noah (Bunnell, mother's maiden name)was b. 1847, d. 1931. His son, Otto (my grandfather), was b. 1874, d. 1953. My father, Leland Fred was b. 1919.

William Chaney and Phoebe Ann Winkenson

Posted: 24 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Chaney, Wilkenson
Could not find any info on your names. My ancestors were from the late 1700's in Calvert County. William (1774) married Phoebe Ann in 1798. Their children were: Rebeca, Lewis, James, John, Thomas, Abel, Henry and Phoebe Ann. Please advise should you have any info on mine.

Re: Hardesty

Posted: 10 Oct 2001 7:17PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hardesty, Gibson
Lynn:

In 1994 Eugene K Gibson write me about his John Gibson & Priscilla Hardesty line. We suspect my Joseph Hardesty is Priscilla's brother. Ruth G. Davis supplied a lot of his material on your line back in 1979.

Re: Hardesty

Posted: 14 Feb 2002 10:09AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2002 6:27AM GMT
Surnames: Hardesty
Please note my address is changing Mar 2002 to LindyP@attbi.com.

Re: Hardesty/Ohio

Posted: 7 Mar 2004 9:58PM GMT
Do you have any other information on the John Gibson you referred too? his parents and or children?

Re: CHANEY,CHENEY,HARDESTY

Judith E. (McKee) Burns (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2006 8:57AM GMT
This pretty well covers all names mentioned Thomas Hardesty went to Coshocton co., Oh. and then te Greene co. Indiana - his children went their before, with or after. I descend from his son Aquilla and dau. Margaret. Have bo idea how this will come out set it up some in wor d before pasting into here:

Modified Register for Richard Cheney-556
30 May 2006
First Generation
1. Richard Cheney-556.This has to be reasearched more but this is the lineage that has been given to me of the Cheney line.
Richard and his spouse had the following children:
+ 2 M i. Joseph Cheney-543 was born 1710.
Second Generation
2. Joseph Cheney-543 (Richard) was born 1710 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. This has to be researched some more but this is what has been given
to me as the Cheney lineage. Joseph and his spouse had the following children:
+ 3 M i. Joseph Cheney-544 was born 1736 and died 1832.
+ 4 M ii. Samuel Cheney-466 was born 1730 and died before 24 Jul 1806.
5 M iii. Richard Cheney-545 was born 1740 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
Third Generation
3. Joseph Cheney-544 (Joseph, Richard) was born 1736 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1832 in Frazeyburg, Muskingham, Ohio.

He was a shoemaker as well as a farmer. He was a large man weighing over 200 lbs. and was noted for his strength. Robert Edington made his coffin and Elijah Ashcraft and Samuel McGinnis dug his grave. He had a superstition about his coffin lid being fastened. It is said he said: "Be sure and take the screws out of my coffin lid before you bury me." He was a minute man during the Revolution; was at the battle of Brandwine, Monmouth and other minor engagements and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown.. He brought with him to Ohio the French musket (which was furnished to the colonies by France to the U.S. during the revolution) which he carried during the war. He was not a member of any church but when inclined to the quaker belief and wore the dress of the quaker religion.

JOSEPH CHANEY born in Anne Arundel Co.MD. 1736. His great-grandfather (no first name given, but I suspect John) came from England with Lord Baltimore in 1632. He said his father was Joseph Chaney a farmer of moderate conditions. In 1758 Joseph married Elizabeth Benson from England. They had two sons; Joseph and Thomas. They had 5 daughters;Comfort, Ruth, Elizabeth, Sophia,Margaret and Nancy. I do not know the order of birth of these children. I know Joseph married Elizabeth O'Conner in 1803 in Md. Thomas married Ann
Fry in 1817 in Coshocton Co. OHio. He died in 1845.His widow, moved to DeHalb Co. Ind. Comfort Chaney married Levi Fairall in Md. they walked carrying their neccessaties on the horses, into Ohio. Ruth Chaney married EDmond/Edward Hardesty dec.25, 1792 in A.A.Co,Md. Sophia Chaney married George Hardesty nov.1, 1812 in Coshocton Co Ohio.I'am not sure who the other two girls married but I think one of them married Samuel McGinnis. In 1810, Joseph and Elizabeth moved to Ohio,settling first in Know Co. and then a year later moving farther south into uskingum Co. The same year Coshocton Co, was formed, splitting the farm into both Cosh. and Musk. Co's. Young Joseph was on the Cosh. side and Old Joseph on the Musk.side. Their land was about 3 and1/2 miles north of Frazeysburg, ohio. Elizabeth died at the age of 65 while milking. Joseph had been a minute man during the revolution and had fought at Brandywine, Monnouth and other smaller engagements. He was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He died in 1832 at the age of 96.

Joseph married (MRIN:224) Elizabeth Benson-546 on 1758. Elizabeth was born 1737 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. She died in Frazeysburg, Muskingham, Ohio. she fell dead while milking the cows and is buried on the farm and was owned by Lewis Chaney she d. aet 85 Joseph and Elizabeth had the following children:
6 M i. Joseph Cheney-96 was born 11 Oct 1777 and died 11 Feb 1857.
7 M ii. Thomas Cheney-5481 was born 1780 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.Thomas married (MRIN:227) Nancy Ann Fry-5582 on 31 Jul 1817 in , Coshocton or Muskingham, Ohio. Nancy was born Jan 1795 in <, Coshocton or Muskingham, Ohio>. She died Jun 18871.
8 F iii. Rachel Cheney-549 was born 1780 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Rachel married (MRIN:228) Elijah Dannison-559 on 8 Nov 1808 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Elijah was born 1783 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
9 F iv. Comfort Cheney-550 was born 1786 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 1836 in Ohio.Comfort married (MRIN:229) Levi Fairall-560 on 27 Nov 1810 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Levi was born 1782 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
+ 10 F v. Ruth Faith Cheney-551 was born 1769 and died 1 Jan 1855.
11 F vi. Elizabeth Cheney-552 was born 1771 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.
12 F vii. Sophia Cheney-553 was born 1773 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.Sophia married (MRIN:231) George Hardesty-562 on 1 Nov 1812 in Coshocton, Ohio. George was born 1787 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
13 F viii. Margaret Cheney-554 was born 1775 in Anne Arundel, Maryland.
14 F ix. Nancy Cheney-555 was born 1777 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Children: Nancy, John, ELizabeth, Sophia, ELizabeth, Rachel, Daniel and Anne

4. Samuel Cheney-4663,4,5 (Joseph, Richard) was born 1730 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. He died before 24 Jul 1806.
In the name of God almighty I Samuel Cheney of Anne Arundel County planter being sick of body but of sound disposing mind memory and
understanding, considering the certainity of death and the unexpecting of the time thereof, and being diserous as to settle my worldly affairs, denote, and publish this my last will and tetament....between my son Jesse Cheney, Mararet Cheney, Samuel Cheney and Dennis W. Cheney dies before he arrives at the age of twenty one, his part to be divided betweem the aforesaid Jesse, Margaret, and Samuel Cheney to them and not their heirs forever. Item I give and bequeath to my neice Mary Cheney the sum of three pounds to her and her heirs forever. Item I give and bequeath unto my three daughters viz Mary Danielson, the sum of five schillings, Nancy Hardesty the sum of five schillings and Mariam Barry the sum of five schillings to them and their heirs forever. Item to my son Joseph Cheney I give and devise the lower part of my planation begining at a stone lying on or near the given line of a tract of land called "Littleton" laid there by W. Anderson continuing on the said line to the lower end of my corn field, fence near an old tabacco bed thence by a straight line to intersect a line of John Snowden's tract of land which line divides the two tracts to him and his heirs forever provided he pays a note of mine drawn in favour to James Mc__uden. Item I give and bequeath unto my son Jesse Cheney all my wearing appearl. Item I give and devise unto my two sons Jesse Cheney and Samuel Cheney all the remaining part of my land to be divided in such a maner that Jesse Cheney may have twenty five pounds worth in land more than Samuel Cheney to be judge of by themselves or each of their choosing a man to judge for them and their heirs forever, provided they take up the mortage of Richard Cheney other wise the said Richard Cheney to have twenty five acres of land laid off at the upper part adjoining a tract of land called " Nancy Parks", and pay unto James H. Marrion the amount of what I owe him for a piece of land I receive of him a deed for the same I give a deed for what I exchanged with him agreeable to contract. Lastly I do here by constitute and appoint my son Jesses Cheney sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and annulling all former wills by me herefore made
and declaring this and none other to be my only last and will and testament. In testimony of I have set my hand and affixed my seal this twenty fifth day of February 1806 Samuel Cheney was brought to probated on 4 Jul. 1806 in Anne Arundell co., Md. person providing copy did not give book and page no. Witnesses were John Iams, Richard Cheney and Joseph Cheney
Samuel married (MRIN:190) Margaret-467. Margaret was born 1738 in <Maryland>.They had the following children:
15 M i. Joseph Cheney-473.
16 M ii. Thomas Chaney-1336.
17 M iii. Jesse Cheney-468 was born 1829.
there is no full date on a paper only 1829 I have only Chancery Court #8476 To the honorable Theodorick Bland Chancellor of Maryland hereby complaining sheweth unto your honor, your orator Bushrod W. Marriott of Anne Arundel county in behalf of himself and such other of the creditors of a certain Jesse Chaney deceased as may become parties to this Bill of complaint that the said Jesse Chaney departed this life some time in the year eighteen hundred and twenty nine having many years before his death, executed his last will and testament, and that letters of administration with the will annexedwere granted by the Orphans Court of said County to your orator who took upon himself the burthen of said administration. That your said orator hath disposed of the whole of the personal estate of said Chaney and in the authority of the orphans court of the county aforesiad that the proceeds had not beem found sufficient to pay the just debts, and that her has over paid said personal estate the sum of three hundred and sixty six dollars and forty two cents as will appear by a copy of his final account herewith exhibited marked A to which he refers and prays that it may be taken as a part of this his bill of complaint. He further states that the said Jesse Chaney died intestate as to the following real property lying in said county towit, a tract or parcel of land called "Chaneys purchase" supposed to contain one hundred and ten acres, "Nancy's Park" supposed to contain eighteen acres "Littleton" supposed to contain seventy acres, leaving brothers and sisters and the children of a deceased brother and sisters, by Hensah Lamand legal representatinve to wit: Joseph Chaney, Margaret who intermarried with a certain Jams McCoy, Nancy who married with a certain Thomas Hardesty, Jesse Chaney, Flavilla Chaney, and Louis Chaney, Mariam Chaney, Samuel Chaney, William D. Chaney, Joseph A. Chaney, Sarah J. Chaney, and Mary Ann Chaney children of a certain Samuel Chaney deceased brother of Jesse Chaney; Mary Donaldson sister of said Jesse Chaney deceased; Sarah a niece of said Jesse Chaney deceased who intermarried with a certain Abraham Paine and Mariam a niece, who intermarried with a certain Isaac Chaney. That the said Thomas Hardesty and Nancy his wife, Abraham Paine and Sarah his wife reside in Ohio.; and that the said Louis Chaney, Mariam Chaney, Samuel CHaney, William D. Chaney, Joseph A. Chaney, Sarah J. Chaney, and Mary Ann Chaney are infants under the age of twenty one years. Your orator further states, that as the personal estate of said Jesse Chaney deceased is insufficient to pay his just debts the real property before mentioned or such part thereof as may be necessary is liable to be sold for the repayment of your orator of the said sum of three hundred and sixty six dollars and forty two cents, the amount due him as appears by said exhibit A and such other creditors of the said Jesse Chaney deceased as may become parties to this bill and who remain unpaid, but that a sale of said real property cannot be made without the aid of your honroable court. In tender consideration whereof and for as much as your orator is remediless in the premises without the aid of this honorable court when matters of this kind are alone cognizable to the end that the said defendants heretofore named may on their oaths answer the premises, and that your honor will decree a sale of said real property for the repayment to your orator of the said sum of three hundred and sixty six dollars and forty two cents with interets thereon from the twenty seventh day of September eighteen hundred and thirty two until paid, and grant unto your orator such other and further relief in the premises as may be just and equitable, and as the nature of his case may require may it please your honor to grant to your orator such other and further relief in the premises as may be just and equitable, and as the nature of his case may require may it please your honor to grant to your orator the statment of subpoenia to be directed to the said Joseph Chaney, James McCoy and Margaret his wife, Jesse Chaney, Flavilla Chaney, Louis Chaney, Mariam Chaney, Samuel Chaney, William D. Chaney, Joseph A. Chaney, Sarah J. Chaney, Mary Ann Chaney, Mary Donaldson, and Isaac Chaney and Mairiam his wife of Anne Arundel county and on order of publication against the said Thomas Hardesty and Nancy his wife and Abraham Paine and Sarah his wife nonresidents commanding them and each of them, to be and appear in this Honrable court to answer the premises and to stand to and abide by each order and decree them as to your honor shall seem consistent with equity and good conscience and your orator and __ __. _____ Marriott _____
+ 18 M iv. Samuel Cheney-469 died before 21 Oct 1892.
19 M v. Dennis W. ??? Cheney-470.
20 F vi. Mary Cheney-471.Mary married (MRIN:193) Jacob Danielson-477.
+ 21 F vii. Nancy Ann Chaney-211 was born 1747.
22 F viii. Marium or Mirryum Cheney-472 was born 1778 in <, , Maryland>. Marium married (MRIN:192) Joshua Berry-476 on 16 Feb 1803 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Joshua was born 1778 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
23 F ix. Margaret Cheney-474.Margaret married (MRIN:191) James Mc Coy-475.
Sources
1. Greene County Indiana Historical Society, History of Greene County, Indiana 1885-1989 (1990, Taylor Publishing Company Dallas, Tx.), pg. 194-5, Greene County Historical Society, P.O. Box 301, Bloomfield, Indiana 47434-0301. "CHANEY FAMILY...Nancy Frey (Jan. 1795 -- 1822)...buried Mr. Zion Cmetery north of Mineral City..The Chaney family started migratioon to Greene county about 1843 when Abraham Chaney and his young family purchased land and settled according to legend, a brother, Samuel followed about a year later and planted a crop on Abraham's farm. Their father died in the spring of 1845 in Ohio and that fall Samuel returned to Muskingham county, Ohio. Nancy Frey Chaney...and her seven daughters accoompanied her soonn , Samuel back to Greene county...Abraham Chaney (March 1819 - Apr. 18778) was married Feb. 15, 1842 to Isabel Arnold...Susan E. Chaney born ca. 1821 married Solomon Stone in Jan. 1849. Mary Ann "Nancy" (1823 - 1873) never married....Samuel Chaney (Oct. 1825 Feb 1905) who was a farmer married first Kiziarah Flatter (Oct 1829 Jun 1889__ in Dec. 1847...After Samuel's first wife died he married Sabrina FLaterrr Burchamm in Spetember 1889...Sophia Chaney (1827 - 1849) married William Arnold in August 1848. Rachel J.. born 1831 married William Ruth in Jun 1885. Lucinda Chaney (1823 - 18856) married Nicodemus Flater...Dec 18850. A daughter probably Sarah E. married James Garvey August 1848. Phoebe Chaney born 1838, never married and was the youngest." Other related sketches: Harley and Dorothy Chaney pg. 195; Ronald Lee Chaney pg. 195-6; My Clemens and Chaney Ancestors pg. 198-7; Clemens or Clemmnans Familly pg. 199-200.
2. Genalogical Helper, Everton's, pg. 549, Sep/Oct 1975, Everton Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 368, Logan, Utah 84323-0368. "Nancy Ann Fry b. 1775 Wa. m. Thomas Chaney Coshocton co., Oh.. 1817. Greene co., Ind.,, 1871. Parents of Thomas d. c. 1845 Muskingham co., Oh.. Lucille (Farley) Speers 10012 Lake George Dr. Hobart, In.. 463422."
3. Bettie Stirling Carothers, Maryland Oaths of Fidelity, Vol. 1 pg. 2. "Signed the Oath of Allegiance and Fidelity in Anne Arundel co."
4. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants (Transcript), Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns.
5. D.A.R. Application Paper, #555298. Applicant VIola Elizabeth Haynes.
Fourth Generation
6. Joseph Cheney-96 (Joseph, Joseph, Richard) was born 11 Oct 1777 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 11 Feb 1857 in , Muskingham, Ohio.

Buried on the farm. Elizabeth b. 11 Jan. 17__ near Hagerstown, Md. d. 16 Aug. 1863Coshocton co., Oh. buried on his parents farm. d/o Patrick and Elizabeth (O'Neal) O'Conner children: Samuel, Mary Ann m. Jesse Ashcraft, Alethe/Lethy m. Daniel b. Ashcraft,
Margaret, Emanuel m. Margaret Ashcraft, Lewis m. Catherine Ashcraft, Nancy m. Daniel Ashcraft, Franklin m. Nancy Gibons

Their son Samuel and Nancy Edington had a common law marriage and had Samuel Edington; it was said she sued
him on bastardy charges but I have not seen anything to conform this; Samuel then married Eleanor/Elinor Moor
and had: Joseph, David, Mary Ann, John W., Lewis, ELizabeth, George C., Lucas, Letha, Priscilla, James and
Edmond
Joseph married (MRIN:39) Elizabeth O'Conner-97 on 5 Feb 1803 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Elizabeth was born 1782 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. They had the following children:
24 M i. Samuel Cheney-93 was born 4 Apr 1803 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 22 Sep 1865 in , Coshocton, Ohio
and was buried Sep 1865 in Broomstick Cemetery, , Coshocton, Ohio Samuel was not married (1-MRIN:37) to
Nancy "Nance" Edington-7471,2,3,4,5,6,7, daughter of Robert Edington-81 and Margaret Alice Hardesty-82
(MRIN:35),. Nancy was born 3 Jan 1816 in , Coshocton, Ohio. She died 4 Aug 1905 in Buchanan, , Missouri.
Samuel and her marriage was common-law she left 13 Nov. 1831 of second said filed or be invovled in a court case
dealing bastardy not noted who filed against whom but probably Nancy against ? Samuel also married (2-
MRIN:524) Eleanor Moore-1269. Eleanor was born 1807 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>. Elinor/Eleanor d. c.
1852-9 Coshocton co., Oh. Broomstick Cemetery children: Joseph, Benson, David, Mary Ann, John W., Lewis,
Elizabeth, George C., Lucas, Letha, Priscilla, James and Edmund Samuel also married (3-MRIN:525) Mary Hoft-
1270. Mary was born 1807 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>.

10. Ruth Faith Cheney-551 (Joseph, Joseph, Richard) was born 1769 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 1 Jan 1855 in Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio and was buried Jan 1855 in Coshocton, Ohio, Chalfants Cem.Ruth married (MRIN:230) Edmund Hardesty-3798,9,10,11,12,13,14, son of Robert Hardesty-373 and Elizabeth-374 (MRIN:159), on 22 Dec 1792 in Anne Arundel, Maryland. Edmund was born 24 Sep 1766 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 6 Feb1864 and was buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois. They had the following children:
25 F i. Nancy Hardesty-40515 was born 19 Dec 1797 in South River Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 16 Oct 1891 in , Ogle, Illinois and was buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois.Children: Richa5rd, Mary, Laban, William W>, Elijah, Alexander, Benjamin, ELizabeth, Philma, Harriet, Edmond, Philma, and Rachel Nancy married (MRIN:167) William Tilton-415 on 24 Nov 1815. William was born 1793 in <, , Ohio>.
26 M ii. John Hardesty-40616,17,18,19 was born 1800 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 1883 and was buried in Chalfant Cemetery, Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio. 10 boys and 6 girls of which are Thomas and Betty. John married (1-MRIN:168) Elizabeth Wolford-416 on 15 Nov 1818 in Coshocton, Ohio. Elizabeth was born 1797 in <Coshocton, Ohio>. John also married (2-MRIN:169) Leah Divan-417 on 13 Feb 1823 in Coshocton, Ohio. Leah was born 1802 in <Coshocton, Ohio>. John also married (3-MRIN:170) Priscilla Ann Perkins-418 on 3 Jun 1839 in Coshocton, Ohio. Priscilla was born 1818 in <Coshocton, Ohio>.
27 F iii. Elizabeth Hardesty-40720 was born 18 Apr 1803 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 28 Jun 1843 and was buried in Chapel Hill Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois. Elizabeth married (MRIN:171) Joseph Slaughter-419 on 4 Dec 1832 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Joseph was born 1799 in <, , Ohio>.
28 F iv. Sophia or Sophie Hardesty-40821 was born 25 Jul 1806 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 19 Jun 1900 in , Ogle, Illinois and was buried in Flagg Center Cemtery, , Ogle, Illinois. children: Edmond and 9 others
Sophia married (MRIN:172) John Cross-420 on 23 Mar 1822/1823 in , Coshocton, Ohio. John was born 17
May 1804 in , , Maryland.
29 F v. Rachel Hardesty-40922 was born 14 Feb 1811 in Bethlehem, , Ohio. She died 18 Jul 1890 in , Ogle, Illinois and was buried in Cox Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois. Hamilton b. 1805 Va. s/o Samuel and Elizabeth children: Susan and 9 others Rachel married (MRIN:173) Hamilton Cox-42123 on 23 Mar 1832 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Hamilton was born 1807 in <Bethlehem, , Ohio>.
30 M vi. Daniel Hardesty-41024,25 was born 1812 in Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio. He died 13 Feb 1895 in , Ogle, Illinois and was buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois.Children: George W., Harriet, Reason, Edmund A., Sarah E., Emily E. and Daniel Daniel married (MRIN:174) Abigail Ferguson-422 on 24 Dec 1836 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Abigail was born 1815 in <Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio>.
31 F vii. Amy Hardesty-41126 was born 10 Apr 1816 in <Washington Twp., Coshocton, Ohio>. She died 13 Feb 1904 and was buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, , Ogle, Illinois. Amy married (MRIN:175) Spencer Lake Tilton-423 on 13 Apr 1845. Spencer was born 1812 in <Ogle, Illinois, Washington Grove>.

18. Samuel Cheney-469 (Samuel, Joseph, Richard) died before 21 Oct 1892. Samuel married (MRIN:194) Rebecca Phillips-478 on 13 Feb 1809 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Rebecca was born 1788 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. They had the following children:
32 M i. Jesse Cheney-479 was born 1810 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
33 F ii. Flavilla Cheney-480 was born 1812 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
34 M iii. Louis Cheney-481 was born 1814 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
35 F iv. Miriam Cheney-482 was born 1816 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. Miriam married (MRIN:195) Isaac Chaney-488. Isaac was born 1816 in <, , Maryland>.
36 M v. Samuel Cheney-483 was born 1818 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
37 M vi. William D. Cheney-484 was born 1820 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
38 F vii. Sarah J. Cheney-485 was born 1822 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>. Sarah married (MRIN:196) Abraham Paine-489. Abraham was born 1822 in <Maryland>.
39 F viii. Mary Ann Cheney-486 was born 1824 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.
40 M ix. Joseph A. Cheney-487 was born 1826 in <, Anne Arundel, Maryland>.

21. Nancy Ann Chaney-211 (Samuel, Joseph, Richard) was born 1747 in , , Maryland. She died in Pike Twp., Coshocton County, Ohio.
Nancy married (MRIN:97) Thomas Hardesty-21027,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35, son of Robert Hardesty-373 and Elizabeth-374 (MRIN:159), on 3 Jan 1797 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. Thomas was born 24 May 1747 in Near Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 4 Apr 1859 in Plummer Creek, Greene, Indiana and was buried36 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.

No. 1845 Land Office Zanesville, 1810 Us. Government Land 13 AUg. 1831 - The lot of southwest quarter of
Section numbered 19 in township no. 4 of the north military range of Zanesville district containing 160 acres, pd.
$354.30

Coshocton Co. Oh. Vol 4 pg. 503 John Perkins and Wife Priscilla Perkins to Thomas Hardesty dtd. 28 Mar. 1820
Parcel of ground laying and being in the town of West Carlisle county of Coshocton state of Ohio being Lot No. 34
and lot No. 29 having reference to the plat of said town.

Vol. 5 pg. 270 Thomas Hardesty and wife Nancy Hardsty to James McAdow for $15.00 a certain piece or Lot of
ground situated in the twon of West Carlisle, Coshocton county State of Ohio numbered on the plat of said town
Lot No. 34 eigh 8 rods length and four in breadth

NOTE: These match the ones listed in Source section under Bureau of Land Management!! - - - Land Ne Se 7-6-3
40 A. Canal Land 23 Aug. 1853 #7766; Ne 1/4 7-6-3 160a U. S. Land 24 May 1844 #32045; NE NW 1-6-6- 55 a.
U. S. Land 24 May 1844 #33046 patented - 1 Jun. 1845 Bk. 119 pg. 233; Se NW 1-6-4 55 A. canal land 13 Nov.
1847 #275.

Bk. G pg. 154 Hiram Christenberry and Louisanna Christenberry his wife to Thomas Hardesty of Coshocton
county, Oh. dtd 2 Nov. 1847 and filed 4 Nov. 1847 land in Greene county as follows: The Northeast quarter of
the northeast quarter of section two in township six north of range 4 west containing 56 .62 acres and also the
Southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section thirty five in township seven north of range four west
containing 50 acres more or less together with all the rights, privileges, an appurtances, thereunto beloning.

Greene co., In. Bk. G pg. 155 Elijah Cruse and Sally Cruse his wife dtd 29 Oct. 1847 to Thomas Hardesty of
Coshocton county Ohio. filed 4 November 1847 Land in Greene co., In. as follows: The Northeast quarter of the
Southwest quarter, and also the Northwest quarter of the Southeast quarter of Section seven in township six north
of range three west containing eighty acres more or less together with all the rights privileges and appurtenances
thereinto belonging.

Millie Uland ("Gone But Not Forgotten") in Greene County telling me (Joe Chamberlain) that Thomas Hardisty
was a Revolutionary War veteran DAR #322076. He enlisted 24 January 1776 1st Co. Matross Artillery MD. He
received a land grant in Webster and Posey Townships, Harrison County, IN, for his service under George Rogers
Clark. - From another If he were with George Rogers Clark in his expedition to Kaskaskia and Vincennes in 1779,
he would have been about 15 years old. The book "Early Indiana Trails and Surveys" (1919) by George R. Wilson,
which was reprinted is for sale by the Indiana Historical Society, has a discussion of Clark's Grant on pages 57-61.
The Virginia General Assemby in Acts dated October 3, 1779 and October 5, 1780, promised land bounties to
officers and soldiers of Virginia who served until the end of the Revolutionary War -- ranging from 15,000 acres
for a Major General to 200 acres for a Private. In October 1783 the Virginia General Assembly, authorizing a
survey of the lands granted the Illinois Regiment [i.e. Clark's] and establishment of a town [Clarksville] within
said grant. There were 1000 acres in the Clarksville Grant and 149,000 acres in the Main Grant. The entire Grant
is incorporated in what is current day Clark County. Harrison County is part of the Indian cessations negotiated by
Gov. W.H. Harrison at Vincennes in 1804 & 1805. It was surveyed and land there sold after Clark's Grant. If
Thomas HARDESTY secured land in Harrison County, it would been through the Land Office in Cincinnati.
Margaret R. Waters published a book on these sometime in the 1940s "Indiana Land Enties, Vol.1"

I could find no record of Thomas Hardisty receiving a Revolutionary War bounty land grant from any state. He is
not listed in Lloyd Bockstruck's index which includes lands awarded to the Virginia - Indiana Regiment headed by
George Rogers Clark. I think I told you earlier that I could find no record of his having served under Clark. There
still remains a possibility that his grant (if there was one) came from the federal government. I'll see what I can
find on that.

Thomas and Nancy had the following children:

41 M i. Aquilla Hardesty-21237,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45 was born 21 Feb 1799 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. He died 19 Mar 1879 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried46 Mar 1879 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.divorced Martha 26 Oct. 1867 Greene co., In. Sv 73 38 Greene court and Common pleas Sept. 1867 Aquilla vs. Martha Hardesty complaint for divorce filed 26 Aug. 1867 State of Indiana Greene county Aquilla Hardesty vs. Martha Hardesty - - Aquilla Hardesty complains of Martha Hardesty and says that he is a resident of Greene county Indiana and and has been a bona fide resident of the State of Indiana for more than one year previous to filing this petition - that he was married to the Defendant in Muskingham county in the state of ohio on the fifteenth (15) day of November 1865 and removed to Greene county in the State of Indiana - that the defendant remained with Pltff. until the 16" day of April 1866 when without any just cause she left him and did not return until the 23" day of June 1866 that dft. left Pltff a second time on the 5' day of October 1866 and did not return until the 5" day of January 1867 that deft. left Pltff a third time on the 29th day of March 1867 and did not return until the 25th day of August 1867 when Pltff refused to receive her any more - that during her absences aforesaid Pltff knew not where she had been that while thely lived together as husband and wife Pltff provided and contented that Deft. appeared sullen and peevish most of the time they lived together and at times used the worst of language that she would not cook his meals neither make mend nor wash his clothes that there is no issue of said marriage. Wherefor plaintiff prays the court that he may be divorced from the defendant Martha Hardesty Aquilla Hardesty per John D. Alexander, ATTY.
AQUILLA HARDESTY TITLE OF TRANSFER: Issue Date: 6/3/1856 Land Office: Vincennes
Cancelled: No Mineral Reservations: No Authority: April 24, 1820: Sale-Cash Entry (3 Stat.
566) SURVEY: State: INDIANA Acres: 40 Metes/Bounds: No DOCUMENT NUMBERS:
Document Nr.: 37965 Accession/Serial Nr.: IN2580__.149
BLM Serial Nr.: IN NO S/N LEGAL SURVEY: Aliquol parts: SESW Sec/Block: 2/ Township:
6-N Range: 4-W Tract Section: No Merdian: 2nd PM State: IN Counties: Greene Survey No. -
- - Certificate states: Aquilla Hardesty of Greene county Indiana
Aquilla married47 (1-MRIN:530) Catherine 'Caty' Meek-1170 on 3 Oct 1816 in , Muskingham, Ohio. Catherine was born 1799 in , , Maryland or Ohio. She died 21 Aug 1837 in , Coshocton, Ohio and was buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, , Coshocton, Ohio. Aquilla also married (2-MRIN:531) Elizabeth Murphy-1204 on 19 Dec 1837 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Elizabeth was born 6 May 1802 in , , Virginia. She died 12 Feb 1865 in , Greene, Indiana and was buried48 Feb 1865 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana. Aquilla also married (3-MRIN:532) Martha Kirkpatrick-1266 on 15 Nov 1865 in , Muskingham, Ohio. The marriage ended in divorce. Martha was born 1844 in <, Muskingham, Ohio>.Aquilla also married49 (4-MRIN:533) Mary J. Knotts-1265 on 3 Jun 1868 in , Greene, Indiana. Mary was born 1847 in <, Greene, Indiana>. She died 1879 and was buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene, Indiana.

42 F ii. Margaret Alice Hardesty-8250,51,52,53,54 was born 20 Sep 1800 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland and was christened55 10 Nov 1801 in All Hallow's Parish, , Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died56 26 Aug 1890 in Dresden, Greene, Indiana and was buried57 in Ashcraft Chapel Cemetery, Jackson Twp., Greene, Indiana. In the 1880 Champaign co. Il. Census she is listed with her dau. Matlida Reed and famliy. Margaret filed Bounty Land under Robert Edington 1850 Rejected 136.100 WC 35227 BL 50 160 Wt 24030 1812. No 162.338 Act of Sept 1850 Received Mar 14, 1853 Margaret Eddington wife Robert Edington. Reynolds Co. Mi. 1812 warrant No. 24030 for 160 acres. Co. Commanded by Cpat William Reynolds about Jun 10, 1812 Capt. Joesph F. Kams in Army commanded by Major Gen. Hull. In the Reg. Commanded Col. Lewis Cass. Volunteered Zanesville, Oh. Apr. 8, 1812 for 12 months. Received no discharge. 162338 Mar 14/53 Margaret Eddington Robt. Edington, has B Cap WM Reynolds and Col Lewis Cas, Joseph F. Cim, Ohio Mil, Ent April 8th 1812, dis April 12, 1813, was 1812, Third Auditors office, 13 May 1853, Robt Edington signed under Capt Cims from 12 April 1812 to 12 April 1813, R. Grome, (Ad) ____ 160 acres Sten, Nu Willis A Garman Bloomington Ind. Vol. 63 fr. 36 136.100 Mar 17/52, Margaret Edington wid of Robert Edington died, pri Capt Wm Reynolds, Col Cap Ome Dr. Artmen 1stapl and July 1812 Dis Auditors office May 1852 R. Eddington served under Capt W. Reynolds, from 12 April 1812 to 12 APril 1813 clint, R. Gravin, __Bd and, Care of County Clk of Greene Co., No. 3 & 4 Bloomfield Ind. June 15/52 (3-220) No. 44955, 24030 or 50, Service pension, War of 1812, act of March 9, 1878, Margaret Ashcraft Dresden, Greene co. Ind. former widow of Robt Eddington Pro Ohio Mil died AUg 5, 1844 Received Oct 2 1889 WM. L. O dell and les Bne 559 City. 3-246 No. 35224 War of 1812 Act of March 9 1878 widows Pension Margaret Eddington now Ashcraft formerly widow of Robert Eddington, Rank Pvt. COmpnay Capt Cains Regiment Ohio Militia, Indpolis Agency Rate per month eight dollars commencing Mar 9 1878 and #12.00 commencing Mar 12, 1886 Certificate dated Nove 26 1859 and sent to pension agent Dec 6 1889 C E Paul Clerk 24030 160-50 1924 Mch 20 Hist to T.L. Edington
Margaret married62 (1-MRIN:35) Robert Edington-8158,59,60,61, son of Jonathan Edington-240 (MRIN:112), on 13 Apr 1815 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Robert was born 1796 in , Hunterdon, Pennsylvania. He died 5 Aug 1844 in , Coshocton, Ohio.It is said that he came to Greene co. with his father-in-law and other family members to ready land and homes etc. for their families and returned to Coshocton co. Oh. to get his family but before they could start back to Greene co. In. he contracted fever and died thereMargaret also married68 (2-MRIN:36) Elijah Ashcraft-21463,64,65,66,67, son of Daniel Ashcraft-226 and Elizabeth Shuman-227 (MRIN:99), on 3 Jan 1861 in , Greene, Indiana. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died69 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.
43 F iii. Elizabeth Hardesty-21370,71 was born 19 Jul 1802 in , Anne Arundel, Maryland. She died 11 Dec 1859 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.Elizabeth married72 (MRIN:98) Elijah Ashcraft-21463,64,65,66,67, son of Daniel Ashcraft-226 and Elizabeth Shuman-227 (MRIN:99), on 24 Nov 1821 in , Coshocton, Ohio. Elijah was born 27 Aug 1800 in Georges Twp., Fayette, Pennsylvania. He died69 10 Sep 1867 in Koleen, Greene, Indiana and was buried Sep 1867 in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Richland Twp., Greene County, Indiana.
Sources

1. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
2. 1860 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #M653 ROll #262 Greene County Jackson Twp. Pg. __ 1546. "Mansfield, Jacob 70, Del. Farmer; Nancy 44 Oh.; James L. 3, In. Jacob W. 2 In.; Edington, Margaret 60 Md. and Edington, George 14, In. Real Estate $1000 Personal $300."
3. 1870 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #M593 Roll #138 Vol 12 (243 - 494A0 Greene County Jackson Twp. 184/184. "Mansfiedl, Nancy 54, Oh. Jacob W. 12, In. and Ashcraft, Margaret 69 Md. Nancy Real Estete $560 Persoal $150; Margaret Real estate $200 personal $350."
4. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
5. 1860 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #M653 ROll #262 Greene County Jackson Twp. Pg. __ 1546. "Mansfield, Jacob 70, Del. Farmer; Nancy 44 Oh.; James L. 3, In. Jacob W. 2 In.; Edington, Margaret 60 Md. and Edington, George 14, In. Real Estate $1000 Personal $300."
6. 1870 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #M593 Roll #138 Vol 12 (243 - 494A0 Greene County Jackson Twp. 184/184 . "Mansfiedl, Nancy 54, Oh. Jacob W. 12, In. and Ashcraft, Margaret 69 Md. Nancy Real Estete $560 Persoal $150; Margaret Real estate $200 personal $350."
7. Jackson Twp. Greene County Indiana Abstract of Real Estate Title Records 1816-1890, pg. 37_ section 7. "Bk. 9 pg. 303 Nancy mansfield to Nancy Miller 30.00 wty...made 11 Jul. 1874 recorded 23 Aug 1874; Bk. 10 pg. 101 Nancy Mansfield to Henry Wagoner 350.00 ....mamde 11 Jul. 1874 recorded 23 Aug. 1874; Bk. 10 pf. 212 Nancy mandfielsd to Franceis M. Edington made 14 De=vc. 1874 recorded 14 Dec. 1874; Bk. 24 pg. 106 Nancy mandfield to Francis M. Edington."
8. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
9. Gladys Dietz, Hardesty Genealogy 1766 - 1969/71.
10. 1820 United States Census, MIcrofilm #33 Roll 88 Vol. 3 Oh. Coshocton co., Washington Twp. pg. 50. "Hardesty, Edinmund, Males 1 under 10, 2 16-25, 1 45 upward; Famales 2 under 10, 3 10-16, 1 16-26 and 1 45 upward."
11. Genalogical Helper, Everton's, pg. 255, Jul 1972. "Desire information on the ance of John Cross b. 17 May 1804 in Maryland married SOphie Hardesty in COshocton, Ohio 22 March 1832. Moved to Illinois in 1853. Want inforamation on Edmund Hardesty b. 24 Sept 1766 in Marylad married Ruth Chaney 22 Dec 1792, was this a first marriage for each. Hamilton Cross R.1 Oregon, Ill. 61061."
12. Genalogical Helper, Everton's, pg. 316, Sep./Oct 1968. "Desire information on the ancestry of Edmund Hardesty and his wife Ruth Cheney m. in Anne Arundel County Maryland Mrs. Peter F. Dietz 6007 DIxonn Ave.. Rock Falls, Il. 61071."
13. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty, http;//wiebsites.quincy.edu/~hardesty, John Dean (Jack) Hardesty, O.F.M., Quincey University, 1800 College Ave, Qunicy Univerity Friary, 720 North 20th , Quincy, Il. 62301-2699/ e-mail:, hardeja!quincey.edu/www.JackHarde. "From the "History of Coshocton Co. Its Past and Present 1740-1881" it gives, "Edward Hardesty came from Maryland in 1811 and located on the south half of section 19, Washington Township, Coshocton County. Later he moved to Illinois and there he died. His son Thomas Hardesty still occupies the S. W. quarter of this section". While in Ohio, Edmond Hardesty was known as both Edward and Edmond. Real Estate Transfers May 19, 1856 Edmond Hardesty to trustees of the Methodist Church R8 T4 of S. W. Section 19 154/160 acres, Washington township. November 10, 1857, Edmond Hardesty to Thomas Hardesty R8 T4 S. W. Sec. 19- 160 acres 33-269 Washington Township. (From Recorder's office, Coshocton County Court House, Ohio) A court document from the Recorder's office in Ogle County, Illinois dated February 16, 1864 shows the following: That said deceased (Edmond Hardesty) left him surviving Harriet Akins, Thomas Hardesty, Nancy Tilton, John Hardesty, Sophie Cross, Rachel Cox, Daniel Hardesty, Amy Tilton, and the children of his deceased daughter, Elizabeth Slaughter, William Slaughter, Nancy Bilmire, Ruth Lichliter, Adin Slaughter, Henry Slaughter, John Slaughter, Rachel Marshall, Arvilla, Tilton, Thomas Slaughter. From this court record the above named people are considered to be the descendants of Edmond Hardesty. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book: HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by: (1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101."
14. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. " Edmund (Edward) Hardesty (Robert, Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born on 24 Sep 1766 at Anne Arundel County, MD. He married Elizabeth Unknown. He married Ruth Chaney, daughter of Joseph Chaney and Elizabeth Benson, on 22 Dec 1792 at Anne Arundel County, MD. He died on 6 Feb 1864 at Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle, IL, at age 97. He moved MD to OH-1811. Children of Edmund (Edward) Hardesty and Elizabeth Unknown were as follows: . Harriett , born 11 May 1789 at Anne Arundel County, MD married Madison Hardesty married James Akins.; . Thomas, born 16 Oct 1790 at MD married Frances (Fannie) Burris; Children of Edmund (Edward)6 Hardesty and Ruth Chaney were as follows: Nancy born 19 Dec 1797 at Washington, MD married William Tilton 24 Nov 1815 died 15 Dec 1891 at Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle, IL, at age 93.; John, born 1800 at Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; married (--?--) Unknown married Priscilla Perkins; Elizabeth born 18 Apr 1803 at Anne Arundel County, MD married Joseph Slaughter 4 Dec 1823 died 28 Jun 1843 at Chapel Hill Cem., Ogle, IL, at age 40.; Sophia born 25 Jul 1806; married John Cross 23 Mar 1832 died 19 Jun 1900 at Flagg Center Cemetery, Ogle, IL, at age 93.; Rachel; born 14 Feb 1811 at Coshocton County, OH married Hamilton Cox 4 Oct 1832 died 18 Jul 1890 at Cox Cemetery, OH, at age 79.; Daniel, born 1812 at Coshocton County, Ohio married Abigal Ferguson; Amy born 10 Apr 1816 married Spencer Lake Tilton 13 Apr 1845 died 13 Feb 1904 at Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle, IL, at age 87."
15. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Nancy Hardesty was born in Ann Arundel County, Maryland, December 19, 1797. When she was 13 years old she moved with her parents, Edmund and Ruth Hardesty, and five brothers and sisters to Washington Township, Coshocton County, Ohio, a trip that took forty-three days. On November 24, 1815 she married William Tilton. Fourteen children were born to William and Nancy, Richard, Mary, Laban, William, Elijah, Francis, Alexander,Ben, Elizabeth, Emily, Philma, Harriet, Edmond and Rache. lNancy Tilton was known to have told many interesting reminiscences of the hardships undergone when she first came to Ogle County, Illinois in 1843, and in the years that followed. Unfortunately, these stories which would have given an interesting picture of early day life in Ogle County, have been lost forever. William and Nancy Tilton were members of the Christian Church. They are both buried in their family lot in Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle County, Illinois. Edmond Hardesty, Nancy's father, is also buried in the same lot. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by: (1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.
108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101." 15. years that followed. Unfortunately, these stories which would have given an interesting picture of early day life in Ogle County, have been lost forever. William and Nancy Tilton were members of the Christian Church. They are both buried in their family lot in Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle County, Illinois. Edmond Hardesty, Nancy's father, is also buried in the same lot.
16. 1820 United States Census, Microfilm #33 Roll 88 Oh. Vol. 3 COshocton co., Washington twp. pg. 50. "Hardesty, John Sr. Males 26-45 and 1 45 upward; females 1 10-16."
17. 1830 United States Census, Microfilm #19 Roll 129 Ohio Vol 4 Coshocton co. Washington Twp. pg. 6. "Hardesty, John males 1 under 5, 2 5-10, 1 40-50; females 2 10-15, 2 15-20 and 1 40-50."
18. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "JOHN HARDESTY 1800-1885 John Hardesty, Edmund's fourth child, was born in 1800 and died 16 Sept. 1885. This is the obituary taken from the "Coshocton Age" newspaper at the library in Coshocton, Ohio, dated Sept. 19, 1885, a weekly paper. "Mr. John Hardesty, an old time resident of the township, died at his home near the home of Gilmore Masten. He was born with the century and was 85 years old at his death. He was three times married and the father of 18 children. His present wife, who now mournes his loss has been his companion for 48 years. Mr. Hardesty is well known through this country for his earnest piety and old time zeal and enthusiasm. One of his old time "amens" would frighten a modern Methodist congregation to death. Mr. Hardesty, though suffering great pain, died as he lived, an earnest, honest, conscientious, enthusiastic Christian. He will be buried at Chalfant Cemetery Thursday afternoon.
Marriages: Unknown ; Unknown; Priscilla Ann Perkins - 3 June 1839 Children: Joseph (m. Osie Jane Trego 19 Nov. 1868) ; Ella (m. Rosenberger); Jane 21 Mar 1840 - 27 Dec 1908 (m. Gilmore Masten); David 24 Apr 1836 - 27 Nov 1935 (m. 1-unknown 2-Lulu Mae Owens); Elizabeth 1840 - 1906 (m. Ben Franklin Vian); John Jr.; George; Delilah Apr 1855-Nov 1942 (Andrew [Jack] Taylor); Phoebe Cedelia 1852-1932 (m. Wilbur Burright 1877); Rebecca Ann 1853- Thomas; Marten Theodore 18 Aug 1859-1 Apr 1924 (m. Cathryn Isabella Stratton 11 Sep 1881); Richard; unknown
unknown; unknown; unknown; Allen 13 Jan 1860-Sep 1924 (m. Ida Mae Coy 3 Oct 1888)
EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by: (1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co. 108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101
19. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "John Hardesty (Edmund, Robert, Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born in 1800 at Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. He married (--?--) Unknown in 1820. He married Priscilla Perkins on 3 Jun 1839 at Coshocton County, OH. He died on 16 Sep 1885 at Coschocton Co., Ohio (Chalfant Cemtery). Children of John Hardesty and (--?--) Unknown were: ELLA ; married (--?--) Rosenberger.; Children of John Hardesty and Priscilla Perkins were as follows: JANE born 21 Mar 1840; married Gilmore Masten.; ELIZABETH born 1841 at Coschoton Co., Ohio; married Franklin Vian.; JOHN WESTLY NELSON born 7 May 1842 at Dresden, Muskingum Co., Ohio. THOMAS born 1845 at Ohio;5 died 1910 at Knox Co. Ohio.; GEORGE E. born 1849 at Coschocton Co., Ohio;7 died 12 Apr 1864 at Coshocton Co., Ohio (Chalfant Cemetery). He [Myfamily.FTW] *George was with the 121 Rgt, Chatanooga, Tenn OvI Co. R during the Civil War.; JOSEPH WILLIAM , born 24 Jul 1851; married Osie Jane Trego; REBECCA ANN born 1853 at Coschocton Co., Ohio;9 died 1863 at Coshocton Co., Ohio (Chalfant Cemetery); DELILLAH (Dill), born 17 Apr 1855 at Knox Co. Ohio; married Andrew Jack Taylor; DAVID W. born 24 Apr 1857; married Lulu Mae Owens. MARTIN THEODORE born 18 Aug 1859; married Kathryn Isabella Stratton.; ALLEN D. born 13 Jan 1860; married Ida Mae Coy.; PHOBE CEDELIA born 13 Jan 1867; married Wilbur Burright.; RICHARD born 1869.11."
20. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "ELIZABETH HARDESTY 1803-1843 Elizabeth was born in Ann Arundel County, Maryland, April 18, 1803. On December 4, 1823, she married Joseph Slaughter and to them thirteen children were born. Among the earliest of Edmund's children to come to Ogle County, Illinois, was Elizabeth, her husband, Joseph, and family. They settled in Washington Grove, Lafayette Township, Section 4, in 1843. At the age of forty, Elizabeth died leaving thirteen children, the youngest one just one year old. She was buried at Chapel Hill Cemetery, Washington Grove, near the family home. Of her children, we know that John, the tenth child, often led the singing at Washington Grove Christian Church. He left the superintendency of the Sunday School there to become a captain in the Civil War. Thomas, the thirteenth child, was also a captain in the Union Army. William, the second son and Adin, the fifth son, operated a blacksmith shop in Rochelle, Illinois. Much of the information on the Slaughter family was obtained in 1958 from Mrs. Carrie McCay (Elizabeth's great granddaughter) of Winthrop, Iowa. Mrs. McCay wrote of Slaughter reunions held each year in Iowa as a number of Elizabeth's descendants now live in that state. Giving information on the Illinois Slaughters was Mrs. Ella Dutcher, Elizabeth's granddaughter. Mrs. Dutcher celebrated her 91st birthday in 1967. Generation 3- Children of Elizabeth Hardesty and Joseph Slaughter (surname Slaughter) EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101
21. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Sophia, the 6th child of Edmund Hardesty, was born July 6, 1806 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. When she was 5 years old, the family moved to Ohio where her father filed a claim for 160 acres in Washington Township, Coshocton County, Ohio. Practically no record has been kept of the early days in Ohio and very few tales of the early life have been passed on to later generations. One story which has been told concerned Sophia who had her eye on a handsome young man who had moved into the community. Rachel, Sophia's younger sister by 5 years, told Sophia that she would "do up" her ruffles for one year if Sophia would "catch" John. This arrangement apparently worked as Sophia Hardesty and John Cross were married in Coshocton County, Ohio, March 22, 1832. John Cross was born 17 May 1804 in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. He died 14 April, 1886. In the fall of 1853 Mr. and Mrs. John Cross and nine of their ten children, ranging in age from 2 to 19, started with ox team and covered wagon for, Illinois where five of Sophia's sisters and brothers had located. Edmund, the oldest son of John and Sophia, had moved to Pine Rock Township, Ogle County, Illinois the previous year. While the family was traveling west crossing Indiana, one son, Levi Perry, became seriously ill. Several days were spent in South Bend, Indiana trying to nurse the boy back to health but medicine was scarce and doctors not available. Levi Perry, age 11, died and was buried in South Bend. After his death on October 13, 1853, the family continued their journey and arrived in Lafayette Township, Ogle County, Illinois on October 21, 1853. John and his family settled on land adjoining Amy and Spencer Tilton who had arrived five years before. On their newly acquired farm the Cross family built a home, cleared the land and tilled the soil for more than 30 years. John died in 1886. Sophia continued to live at the homestead for the rest of her life. Belle Gibson, a granddaughter, remembered going from Chana with her father in a double seated buggy (surrey) to see Grandma Cross. "We always had fun there for there were plenty of cousins to play with". At the Ogle County Historical Museum in Oregon there is a coverlet donated by Belle Gibson which belonged to Sophia. This coverlet, with an eagle and star design, was woven in 1839 by David Lawson of Janesville, Ohio. For this coverlet, Sophia raised the sheep and sheared them, carded and spun the wool. Sophia Hardesty Cross died in 1900, age 93 years, 10 months and 25 days. Both John and Sophia are buried in Flagg Center Cemetery. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101."
22. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Rachel was the seventh child of Edmund and Ruth Chaney Hardesty. Her parents came to Ohio from Anne Arundel County, Maryland, in 1811 and she was born in Bethlehem Township, Coshocton, Ohio, February 14, 1811 while her parents were camping for the night at White Woman's Rock. Rachel married Hamilton Cox on October 4,1832. There were eleven children of this marriage. Mrs. Grace Croy Speck, a great grand daughter of Rachel and Hamilton compiled a genealogy of the Cox family of Virginia and Ohio (1755-1955) which gives all of Rachel's known descendants. Our genealogy will list only her children and grandchildren - then refer t to the pages in Mrs. Speck's "Cox Family of Virginia and Ohio" for the rest of the family. Hamilton Cox was born in Virginia, October 10, 1805. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101
23. Grace (Croy) Speck, Cox Family of Va. and Oh. 1755 - 1955.
24. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Daniel Hardesty, the eighth child of Edmond and Ruth Hardesty, was born in Washington Township, Coshocton County, Ohio in 1812. He died February 13, 1895 at his home in Ogle County, Illinois. At the time of his birth, Washington Township was not much more than a small Indian settlement and was made up of military and government lands. We have no record of Dan's early life in Ohio. On December 25, 1836 he married Abigail Ferguson, who was one of the youngest of seven children. Her father was Rev. Ferguson, a Methodist minister. At some time prior to 1849, Rev. Ferguson came to Illinois and settled. It is thought on the same land that Daniel later acquired. Rev. Ferguson left with the 49'ers to search for gold and was never heard of by his family after that. His fate is unknown. In the spring of 1852, Daniel and his wife Abigail with their family of eight children emigrated to Illinois in a covered wagon. Hattie Hay, a granddaughter can recall several interesting things her grandmother had told her about the hardships of this trip and early pioneer life in Illinois. Evidently other families came with them at this time. Dan and Abigail settled on a farm in Lafayette Township, section 5, which was government land at this time. This farm is about seven miles west of Flagg Center. Daniel built a house on "Rag Street" the road to Ogle which is now Ashton. Later the road was changed to follow the section lines and this put Dan's house about 80 rods south of the road. He then built a new home which is on the present Flagg road. Dan and Abigail had three more children while living on this land. After his death his son Franklin owned and farmed it. When Franklin retired, his son, Fred, took over the farm. Fred remodeled the home Dan built. Fred sold the farm to his son, Robert, who is now operating it. Robert Hardesty, or Bob as he is more familiarly known, is 4th generation of Hardesty to have this land. For over a century, it has been Hardesty farm. We are told Dan was a huge and powerful man as were many of the Hardestys. It is said that when Dan took wheat to the mill to be ground he carried three sacks at a time, where as the average man carried only one. He always wore his coat and shirt open at the throat and never wore a hat. He was unmindful of the severe Illinois winters and weather did not bother him. Pictures of Dan show he was a giant of a man as were his sons. We are told he was a very religious man and never missed a prayer meeting or church service. He had two large cross dogs which most people feared and which were his constant companions, and obeyed him perfectly. He was a practical joker and because of this and his dogs, Dan has become a legend through the Washington Grove Area. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101
25. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Daniel Hardesty (Edmund , Robert, Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born in 1812 at Coshocton County, Ohio. He married Abigal Ferguson on 25 Dec 1836 at Coshocton County, OH. He died on 13 Feb 1895 at Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle, IL. Children of Daniel Hardesty and Abigal Ferguson were as follows: EDMUND ALEXANDER born 14 Feb 1843 at Ohio. FRANKLIN PIERCE born 1 Apr 1853 at IL; married Eileen Cummins."
26. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "AMY HARDESTY TILTON Amy, the 9th child of Edmund and the youngest child of Edmund and Ruth Hardesty, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio on April 10, 1816. Very little is known about her early life as no written record is available and the only information about her has been obtained from her descendants who can remember certain bits of conversation they have overheard. Marriage licenses issued in Coshocton County, Ohio show that Amy Hardesty married Spencer Lake Tilton, the 5th son of Richard Tilton, on April 13, 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Lake Tilton migrated from Ohio to Illinois, settling on Section 1, Lafayette Township, Ogle County, Illinois. It is assumed the trip was made by ox team as other members of the Hardesty family moving to Illinois used oxen to pull their wagons. It is also assumed the 80 acre farm was ob- tained from the government. Other members of the Hardesty family who left Ohio and settled in Lafayette Township were Amy's sisters Sophie, Elizabeth, Nancy and a brother Dan. Her sister, Harriet, settled across the road in Pine Rock Township. The Tilton farm is located on the Flagg Center blacktop, formerly known as Rag Street, about four miles west of Flagg Center. Their farm was owned and farmed by Tiltons and their descendants for nearly one hundred years. Mrs. Eva Beaman, a granddaughter of Spencer Tilton, has among her momentoes, a tax receipt for the year 1851 which shows the tax, state, county and town on this 80-acre farm amounted to $4.39. Nieces of Aunt Amy have Nieces of Aunt Amy have pleasant memories of her hospitality. One recalled her beautiful set of blue willow ware dishes, especially the sugar bowl, cream pitcher and large covered tureen which was used when company came. Mrs. Eva Beaman was given the gravy boat from this set. A niece, Mrs. Nora Shippee of Ashton, age 92, remembers Aunt Amy and described her this way: Aunt Amy was no midget but a heavyweight. She wore a large apron with patch pockets and did not stand to do any work that she could do sitting down. When a niece from the west (probably Iowa) came to visit relatives and was a dinner guest at Aunt Amy's and was eating with her fork, Aunt Amy said to her, "Drop that fork, your knife was made to eat with". Mrs. Shippee adds an old time rhyme about eating: "I eat my peas with honey I've done so all my life It makes the peas taste funnyBut it keeps them on my knife".(Author unknown) Amy Hardesty Tilton died in 1904, Spencer Lake Tilton died in 1913. Both are buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle County, Illinois. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101."
26. used when company came. Mrs. Eva Beaman was given the gravy boat from this set. A niece, Mrs. Nora Shippee of Ashton, age 92, remembers Aunt Amy and described her this way: Aunt Amy was no midget but a heavyweight. She wore a large apron with patch pockets and did not stand to do any work that she could do sitting down. When a niece from the west (probably Iowa) came to visit relatives and was a dinner guest at Aunt Amy's and was eating with her fork, Aunt Amy said to her, "Drop that fork, your knife was made to eat with". Mrs. Shippee adds an old time rhyme about eating: "I eat my peas with honey I've done so all my life It makes the peas taste funnyBut it keeps them on my knife".(Author unknown) Amy Hardesty Tilton died in 1904, Spencer Lake Tilton died in 1913. Both are buried in Washington Grove Cemetery, Ogle County, Illinois. EDMUND HARDESTY DESCENDANTS From the Book:HARDESTY GENEALOGY 1600-1985 Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-670086 and 85-70971Compiled by: Hamilton and Ina Cross Gladys Dietz Eva Stroh Printed by:(1st Printing) The Republican-Reporter Corp. Oregon, Illinois 61061 (Revised printing) The Anundsen Publishing Co.108 Washington Street Decorah, Iowa 52101."
27. 1820 United States Census, Micro Copy 33 Roll 88 Ohio Vol. 3 Coshocton county, Pike Twp. #28a. "Males 45 upward, 1; Females 16-26, 1 and 45 upward, 1."
28. 1830 United States Census, Micro Copy 19 Roll 129 Ohio Vol. 4 Coshocton county, Pike Twp. #2. "Males 60-70, 1 and Females 60-70, 1."
29. 1840 United States Census, Micro Copy 704, Roll 387 Ohio Vol. 5 Coshocton County Pike twp. pg. 346. "Males 60-70, 1. Females 5-10, 1; 15-20, 1 and 80-90, 1."
30. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
31. Compiled and edited by Mrs. Marion H. Miller, Mrs. Robert F. Rehl, State Regent, Source Book for Patroits Buried in Indiana (August 1990. Indianapolis, Indiana. ). Printed in commeration of the Centennial Jubilee of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. " Hardisty, Thomas Greene County b.-26 May 1764 Anne Arundel d. - 4 April 1859, Bur. Walnut Grove Co., MD Cem., Greene, IN. m. - 3 Jan. 1797 Anne Arundel Co., MD Nancy Anne Chaney b. ca. 1770 Anne Arundel Co., MD d. - 27 Aug. 1840 Coshocton Co., OH ch. - Aquilla b. 21 Feb. 1798 Anne Arundel Co., MD d. - 19 Mar. 1879 m. 3 Oct. 1816 Muskegom Co., OH Catherine Meek. Bur. Pleasant View Cem., Licking Co., OH. Margaret Alice b. 20 Sept. 1800 MD d. 26 Aug. 1890 m. 13 April 1815 Robert Edington SERVICE: Enl. 24 Jan. 1776 1st CO. Matross Artillery MD Capt. Nathaniel Smith, Lt. William Woolsey, Lt. Alexander Fornval, Sgt. George Keepot. Received land grant in Webster and Posey Twp., Harrison Co., IN, for serv. under George Rogers Clark. REF: OB I:234; PI :410; "Hist. of NW Terr." - English, V.II:845; VA St. Lib. Report VIII:266; Baltimore MD. Marr. Rec.; Egan V.1:379; D A R #322076 -------------- Hardisty, Thomas b. 26 May 1764 Anne Arundel Co., MD d. 4 April 1859, buried Walnut Grove Cem., Greene Co., IN Service: Enl. 26 July 1776 Calvert County, MD, by Capt. Joseph Wilkinson. Enrolled by Ensign James Sommervill. 1777 under Capt. Peregreine Fitzhugh and 1st Lt. Thomas Jones. Ref: "Muster Rolls of MD Troops in Am. Rev. 1775-1783" :33; "MD Militia in Rev. War" - Clements & Wright;149; "MD Records Colonial, Rev., Co. and Church from Original Sources" - Brumbaugh, v.II:442 "Hist. Coshocton Co., OH":587 The citation also lists birth, marriage and death dates for his wife and children."
32. Bureau Of Land Management. "THOMAS HARDESTY TITLE TRANSFER: Issue Date: 6/1/1845 Land Office: Vincennes Cancelled: No Mineral Reservations: No Authority: April 24, 1820: Sale-Cash Entry (3 Stat. 566) SURVEY: State: INDIANA Acres: 160 Metes/Bounds: No. DOCUMENT NUMBERS: Document Nr.: 32045 Accession/Serial Nr.: IN2470__.050 BLM Serial Nr.: IN NO S/N LEGAL SURVEY: Aliquol Parts: NE Sec/Block: 7/ Township: 6-N Range: 3-W Tract Section: No Meridan: 2nd PM State: IN Counties: Greene Survey No. - - Certificate states: Thomas Hardesty of Coshocton county Ohio The United States of America, To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Whereas, Aquilla Hardisty, of Coshocton County, Ohio, - has deposited in the General Land Office of the United States, a certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Zanesville, - whereby it appears that full payment has been made by the said Thomas Hardisty of Coshocton County Ohio - according to the provisions of the act of Congress of the 24th of April 1820, entitled "An act making further provision for the sale od Punlic Lands; for the North East quarter of Section Seven in Township Six North of Range three West, in the District of lands subject to sale at Vincennes, Indiana, containing one hundred and sixty acre accodring to the offical plat of the survey of the said Lands, returned to the General Land office by the Surveyor General, which said tract has been purchased by the said Thomas Hardisty . and to his heirs, the said tract above described: To have and to hold the same together with all the rights, privileges, immunities and appurtenances, of whatsoover nature thereunto belonging, unto the said Thomas Hardisty and to his heirs and assigns forever. In Testimonty wehere of, I., James K. Preseident of the United States of America, have caused these Letters to be made Patent, and the Seal of the General Land Office to be hereunto affixed. Given under my hand, at the City of Washington, the first day of June in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hunred and forty-five; and of the Independence of the United States the sixty-ninth By the President James K. Polk ,By, J. Knox Walker Sec'y S. H. Laughlin, Recorderd of the General Land Office."
33. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Thomas Hardesty (Robert , Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born on 26 May 1764 at near Baltimore, MD. He married Nancy Ann Cheney, daughter of Samuel Cheney and Margaret Unknown, on 3 Jan 1797 at Anne Arundel County, MD. He died on 4 Apr 1859 at Plummer Creek Walnut Grove Cem, Greene County, IN, at age 94. He spent his youth at sea. Children of Thomas Hardesty and Nancy Ann Cheney all born at Anne Arundel County, MD, were as follows: . Aquilla, born 21 Feb 1799 divorced Martha Kirkpatrick married Catherine (Caty) Meek married Elizabeth Murphy; married Martha Kirkpatrick married Mary Jane Knots; Margaret Alice, born 20 Sep 1800 married Elijah Ashcraft married Robert Edington; Elizabeth, born 19 Jul 1802 married Elijah Ashcraft."
34. History of Coshocton County, Ohio - Its Past and Present 1740-1881, The (1881). "Thomas Hardesty arrived in Coshocton Co.,Ohio with his brother Edmund about 1811/12 and entered land on the SW Quarter of Section 19, Washington Twp.; and remained there until migrating to Greene County, Indiana. It also indicates he spent his youth upon the sea as a sailor."
35. Jackson Twp. Greene County Indiana Abstract of Real Estate Title Records 1816-1890, pg. 368. "Bk. A & B pg. 5 U.S. to Thomas Hardesty... Made 24 Apr. 1844; Bk. G pg. 155 Elijah Cruse & Wife to Thomas Hardesty 300.00 Wty ...made 2 Nov. 1847 recorded 4 Nov. 1847; Bk 5 pg. 485 Thomas Hardesty to Henry Jackson 650.00 wty...made 1 Apr. 1872 recirded 13 Apr. 1873; Bk. T pg. 87 Thomas Hardesty to Thomas J. Hardesty 300.00 wty ....made 9 Nov. 1862 recorded 7 Dec. 1862; Bk. Y pg. 428 Thomas Hardesty to JamesBanto 500.00 wty ....made 12 Sep. 1867 recorded 20 Sep. 1867."
36. Greene County Historical Society, Cemeteries of Eastern Greene County, Indiana, pg. 19. "Thomas Hardesty 26 May 1774 4 Apr. 1859."
37. Greene County Indiana Historical Society, History of Greene County, Indiana 1885-1989, pg. 185-6. Biographical Sketch on Judith Elaine McKee Burns.
38. 1820 United States Census, Micro Copy 33 Roll 88 Ohio Vol. 3 Coshocton, Pike Twp. #28a. "Males 16-25, 1; Females 16-26, 1 and under 10, 2."
39. 1830 United States Census, Micro Copy 19 Roll 129 Ohio Vol. 4 Coshocton County, Pike Twp. # 2. "Equilla - Males under 5, 1; 5-10, 2; and 30-40, 1. Females under 5, 1; 10-15, 2 and 30-40, 1."
40. 1840 United States Census, Micro Copy 704 Roll 387 Ohio Vol. 5 Coshocton County, Pike twp. pg. 346. "Males under 5, 1; 10-15, 1; 15-20, 3; 30-40, 1. Females under 5, 1; 10-15, 1 and 30-40, 1."
41. 1860 United States Census, Micro Roll # M653 Roll #262 Indiana Greene county Jackson Twp. pg. 219 1511/1511. "Hardisty, Aquilla 61, Md. Farmer; Elizabeth 56, Va.; Martha J. 20, Oh., sewing; and Susan 18, Oh. Real Estate $3000 personal $600."
42. 1870 United States Census, Indiana Micro FIlm #M593 Roll # 318 Greene county Jackson Twp. pg. 347 31/31. "HArdesty, Aquilla 72 Oh. Farmer Real Estate $1500."
43. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
44. Greene County Indiana Estate Index, Vol. 1, Clerk of Greene County Crircuit and Superior Court, Greene County Courthouse, 1 W Main St., P.O. Box 229, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424. "Aquilla Hardesty vs Exman C. Flinn __ __ Box. 96 File2; Aquilla Haredsty vs E. C. Flinn etal 1861 Box 3 file 2."
45. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Aquilla Hardisty (Thomas Hardesty, Robert, Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born on 21 Feb 1799 at Anne Arundel County, MD. He and Martha Kirkpatrick were divorced. He married Catherine (Caty) Meek, daughter of Richard Meek, on 3 Oct 1816 at Muskingum, OH. He married Elizabeth Murphy on 19 Dec 1837 at Coshocton County, OH. He married Martha Kirkpatrick on 15 Nov 1865 at Muskingum, OH. He married Mary Jane Knots on 3 Jun 1868 at Greene County, IN. He died on 19 Mar 1879 at Walnut Grove Cemetery, Greene County, IN, at age 80. Children of Aquilla Hardisty and Catherine (Caty) Meek were as follows: James Madison born 1820 at Coshocton County, OH married Harriett Harper.; Thomas Jefferson, born 21 Jul 1822 at OH married Jane W Mansfield.; Richard, born 28 Nov 1826 at Coshocton County, OH married Sarah Frances Imhoff.; Joseph ?.; girl.; Children of Aquilla Hardisty and Elizabeth Murphy were as follows: girl ; born between 1835 and 1840; Jasper Newton, born 26 Nov 1838; married Mary E Firnel married Jane Baker.; Martha Jane; born 1841 at Coshocton County, OH married Joseph C Sparks 4 Mar 1864 at Greene County, IN.; Susan, born Dec 1844 at Chilocothe married David Baker; Delilah; born circa 1845. There were no children of Aquilla Hardisty and Martha Kirkpatrick. There were no children of Aquilla Hardisty and Mary Jane Knots
46. Greene County Historical Society, Cemeteries of Eastern Greene County, Indiana, Pg. 20. "Aquilla Hardisty 21 Feb 1799 19 Mar 1879."
47. Muskingham County Ohio Marriages, Bk. 1 & 2 pg. 8. "State of Ohio Muskingham county ss: I do hereby certify that on the 3rd fay of October A.D. 1816 I solomonized the marriage of Mr. Aquilla Hardesty with Miss Caty Meek Nathan Baker J.P. P.O. address Zanesville, Oh."
48. Greene County Historical Society, Cemeteries of Eastern Greene County, Indiana, Pg. 19. "Elizabeth 6 Jul 1802 12 Feb. 1865."
49. Indiana Works Progress Administration, Greene County Indiana Marriage Record Index 1823/53 - 1920 Vol. 1 A - F Vol 2 G - M Vol 3 N - Z, 1939, Vol. 2 pg. 55, pg. 178. "Hardesty, Aquilla Mary J. Knott June 3, 1868; BK. H Pg. 214."
50. 1860 United States Census, Micro Film No. M653 Roll # 262 Indiana Greene County pg. 224 1546/1546. "Under Jacob Mansfield - - Edington Margaret 60, Md. and Edington, George A. 12, In."
51. 1870 United States Census, Indiana Microfilm #M593 ROll #138 VOl. 12 (243 - 494A0 Greene County Jackson twp pg. 358 1. "enumerated with daughter Nancy Mansfiedl AShcraft, Margaret 69 Md. Real Esrare $200 Personal $350."
52. Greene County Indiana Deeds, Bk. N, Greene County Recorder's Office, Greene County Courthouse, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424. "Deed Bk. N pg. 244 or 385 - Daniel Ld. Wright & Mary Wright to Margaret Edington filed 16th Aug. 1855 - This indenture witnesseth that we Daniel Ld. Wright and Mary Wright of the County of Greene and State of Indiana in consideration of the sum of fifty dollars to them paid by Margaret Edington the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged do hereby convey unto Margaret Edington Lots N Seventeen and Eighteen in the town of Dresden. We bind ourselves our heirs and assigns and personal representatives that the same is clear from all encomberances and well will warrent and defend the same against all claims whatsoever. In tesimony whereof we Daniel LD. Wright and Mary Wright his wife who hereby relinquishes her right of dower in said premise have hereunto set their hands and seals this the 30th day of January 1855 - - Daniel Ld. Wright Mary Wright."
53. Greene County Indiana Deeds, Bk. N. "Deed Bk. N pg. 224 or 385 Daniel Ashcraft & Mary Ashcraft to Margaret Edington filed 26th November 1855 Daniel Ashcraft and Ann Ashcraft his wife of Greene county in the state of Indiana convey & warrant to Margaret Edington of Greene county in the state of Indiana for the sum of four hundred and twenty five dollars the following Real Estate in Greene county in the State of Indiana towit. The northwest quarter of the soutwest quarter of section seventeen in township six north of the range three west containing forty acres more or less In witness hereunto set their hands and seals this eighteenth day of October 1855 Daniel Ashcraft Mary A. Ashcraft."
54. Records of John Dean (Jack) Hardesty. "Margaret Alice Hardisty (ThomasHardesty, Robert, Francis, Thomas, Arthur, William) was born on 20 Sep 1800 at Anne Arundel County, MD. She married Elijah Ashcraft, son of Daniel B Ashcraft and Elizabeth Ann Schuman. She married Robert Edington on 13 Apr 1815 at Coshocton County, OH. She died on 26 Aug 1890 at Ashcraft Chapel, Dresden, Greene County, IN, at age 89.There were no children of Margaret Alice Hardisty and Elijah Ashcraft.Children of Margaret Alice7 Hardisty and Robert Edington were as follows: NANCY born 3 Jan 1816 at OH; married Samuel Chaney, son of Joseph Chaney and Elizabeth O'Conner, common law; Status: left him 13 Nov 1831; married Jacob Mansfield 5 May 1854 at Greene County, IN; died 4 Aug 1905 at Buchanan, MO, at age 89.THOMAS born 21 Jul 1820 at Coshocton County, OH; married Naomi Hardesty; married Ursula Elizabeth Moore. GEORGE WASHINGTON m 16 Dec 1821 at Coshocton County, OH; married Mary Mansfield. ELIZABETH born 1824 at OH; married Abner Hardesty 19 Oct 1845 at Coshocton County, OH. She husband-cf Edmund line. AQUILLA born 14 Apr 1826 at Coshocton County, OH; married Martha E Ross; married Eliza Jackson. JONATHAN born 2 Apr 1829; died 21 Aug 1831 at OH at age 2. ELIJAH born 12 Apr 1831 at Coshocton County, OH; married Lutitia A Lanter; married Mary Ann Hatfield. MARGARET JANE born 12 Mar 1835 at OH; married Rufus Morgan Wall 10 Feb 1856; married Stanford A Fordyce 10 Feb 1861 at Greene County, IN; died 3 Jan 1906 at Greene County, IN, at age 70. EDMUND born 1839 at Coshocton County, OH; married Mary Unknown 7 Oct 1855 at Greene County, IN; died 2 Jan 1863 at Walnut Grove Cemetery, Greene County, IN."
55. All Hallow's Parish Anne Arundel County, Maryland Resgister 1685-1858 Vestry Proceedings 1761-1844, pg. 166. "Margaret Hardesty Daughter of Thomas Hardesty and Ann his wife was Born Oct. 20 1800 and Baptizd Nov 10 1801 by The Revd Nicholas H. Lane."
56. Bloomfield News (Weekly Newspaper), Friday 29 Aug 1890. " Margaret Edington, mother of Capt. Elijah Edington died Tuesday and was buried Wednesday. She lived near Dresden and would of been nintey years old on her next birthday."
57. Greene County Historical Society, Cemeteries of Eastern Greene County, Indiana, Pg. 100. "Margaret Edington AShcraft 20 Sep 1800 26 Aug 1890."
58. 1820 United States Census, Mirco Copy 33 Roll 88 Ohio Vol. 3 Coshocton county, Pike Twp. #28a. "Adington, Robert Males under 10, 1; 16-25, 1. Females under 10, 1; 16-26, 1."
59. 1830 United States Census, Micro Copy 19 Roll 129 Ohio Vol. 4 Coshocton County, Pike Twp. #2. "Males under 5,2; 5-10, 2 and 30-40, 1. Females under 5, 1; 10-15, 2 and 20-30, 1."
60. 1840 United States Census, Micro Copy 704 Roll 387 Ohio, Vol. 5 Coshocton county Pike twp pg. 345. "Males under 5, 1; 5-10, 2; 10-15, 1; 15-20, 1 20-30, 1 and 40-50, 1. Femlaes 5-10, 2; 15-20, 1; 20-30, 1 and 30-40, 1."
61. Judith Elaine (McKee) Burns, Thomas Hardesty of Greene County, Indiana His Ancestors and Descendants.
62. Miriam C. Hunter, Coshocton County Ohio Marriag Index 1811-1930 (1967, Coshocton Public Library). "The state of Ohio Coshoctoon county ss: I hereby certify that on the 13 of April I joined together in holy state of matrimony Robert Edington and Margaret Hardesty of lawfull age given under my hand and seaal thiis 25th day of April 1815.. George Smith." found within his bounty land file # 35227.
63. Martha Ashcraft Neal, Ashcraft Family Descendants of Daniel, The (1994, Gateway Press Inc. Baltimore, Md.), pg. 199-201, Martha Ashcraft Neal, Post Office Box. 989, Washington, Pennsylvania 15301, Library of Congress # 94-77682. "Elijah and Elizabeth lived in Coshocton co., until 1831, moved to Muskingham co. lived there until 1847, when they moved west. A letter written by Margaret Ross in 1904 insicates they went to Missouri, Iowa, did not like it and settled back in Greene county, Indiana. Reccords show ELijah owned land in Jackson twonship in 1852 and is credited with being a first settler...The Ashcrafted, Hardestys and Edington lived on adjoining properties, all had come from the east. The Hardesty;s did not have as large a family as the Ashcrafts - they had three children. Their third Child, ELizabeth, married to Elijah 24 NOvember 1821. In June, Elijah obtained 160 acres of Coshocton county land from his father for 10 dollars. By 1831 he had moved to Muskingham county. The farm he acquired there, he sold in 1847 to go to MIssouri. As a child he had floated miles of Rviers when there were no roads, and explored several counties in Ohio. How as an adult he would take his rather large family over dangerous prairies in a covered wagon. The 1830 and 40 census shows him in Ohio. The 1850 and 1860 census shows hime in Jackson Twonship< Greene county, Indiana. He had not liked Missouri nor Iowa and had returned to Indiana. He enlisted 1861 with Capt. ELijah Edington 43rd Indiana Regiment COmpany C." Pg. 84 - 90 of this book has a biographical sketch on hs father's family and lists siblings. Pg. 199 - 222 lists all known descendants known to the author at the time.
64. Greene County Indiana Estate Index, Vol 1. " ?Eliza Ashcraft vs Louisa Bennet Box. 97 file 1 ?; Elijah Ashcraft Estate Petition to sell lands Box 51 file 1; ELijahn Ashcraft Estate Settled Box 58 file 2."
65. 1830 United States Census, Coshocton co., Ohio Pike Twp., Reel #129.
66. 1860 United States Census, Greene co., In. Jackson Twp. #653 Roll 262 pg. 212 1464/1464. "Elijah 58 RE $4000 PE $1000; ELjiah 21; Martin 19; ELizabeth 17; and Jackson 14."
67. 1840 United States Census, Muskingham co., Ohio.
68. Indiana Works Progress Administration, Greene County Indiana Marriage Record Index 1823/53 - 1920 Vol. 1 A - F Vol 2 G - M Vol 3 N - Z, VOl. 1 pg. 37, 250. "Ashcraft, ELijah Sr. M. Edington Jan 31 1861; E. Ashcraft Sr. Bk. G pg. 118." Eljiah b. 27 Aug. 1800 Fayette co., Pa. d. Koleen, Greene, In. m 1) Elizabeth Edington s/o Daniel and Elizabeth Shuman.
69. Greene County Indiana Wills, Bk. 2 pg. 1867, Clerk of Greene County Crircuit and Superior Court, Greene County Courthouse, 1 W Main St., P.O. Box 229, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424. "Elijah Ashcraft Will filed Oct 3rd 1869 - - The last will and testament of Elijah Ashcraft Sen. of the County of Greene and State of Indiana made and c_d on the 10th day of September One thousand eight hundred and sixty seven. Witnessss that the sais testator being sound in mind doth hereby give and bequeath to Margaret Ashcraft my wife one third of my property personal and real the _ of all my property _al and _ _ after the payments of debts and likewise I give and bequesth to Jackson Ashcraft One thousand dollars out of the proceeds of my estate - -The balance of my estate after the payments of my bebts to be equally divided distributed between my children. - - Signed and sealed in the presence of Christopher Horn & Samuel A. Connell. Elijah (his X mark) Ashcraft - - Signed and sealed in the presence of said testator Elijah Ashcraft Senr. the day and year above written. Samuel . A. Connell Christopher Horn - - State of Indiana Greene County ss
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions