Search for content in message boards

One-armed Bill Wilson

One-armed Bill Wilson

Jim Peters (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson
One-armed Bill Wilson and Charles Goodnight drove various herds to and through Colfax County in mid- and late 1860s.
Where did Bill finally settle, and was he related to the
Wilson who owned the United States Hotel in Trinidad, Col.?

Re: One-armed Bill Wilson

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 11:40PM GMT
Sir, did you ever find out where One Armed Bill Wilson, the man that drove cattle up the trail with Goodnight and Loving, finally settled down ? I am looking for his grave. I will visit his grave and pay my respects when I locate.

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 11:08PM GMT
Billy Wilson, AKA One-Armed Bill Wilson was my mother's uncle. Some of the family ended up in Jacksboro, Texas and he may be buried there. His next-younger brother, who often rode with him lived his last years in Jacksboro and I visited him when I was about 6 or 7 years old and he would have been in his 90's. His youngest half-brother was my grandfather - John A. Wilson of Kansas. Their father, J.R. or James Reed Wilson lived in a small home near Elgin, Kansas before moving to Texas before my grandfather was born. After his 2nd wife's death in Texas, he moved back to the home in Elgin. I just found some notes that say that Billy died in Lawton, OK in 1921.

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 5:37AM GMT
I found his grave/headstone information on find-a-grave, I believe. 7 April, 1843---24 April 1922. I also found A. Eme Wilson 4 october 1852---4 may 1916 Tx, J. W. Wilson
Is this woman his wife?
I will continue to look for an obit, to establish beyond a doubt that I have the correct grave. I will visit the grave if I can prove my information is correct.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 1:25AM GMT
You may have the correct site - Bill's wife was Emma Sheek and Bill was born about 1843 - I may have an exact date somewhere, but not able to get to it at this time. The record that I have on my computer says that Billy's middle initial was J., not W., so that may be a concern. Please post if you get more information.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 3 Apr 2012 6:55PM GMT
I just found this article about Bill Wilson- it was written by one of my cousins in reply to someone else's inquiry.
One-armed Bill Wilson married Emma Sheek. He lost his arm in childhood [there are two legends about it, involving a horse or a combine]. That did not stop him, however. About 1870 he arrived with a crew of cowhands in La Junta CO. His rash younger brother, George, got in a poker game and felt he was being cheated. When sheriff Juan Tafola tried to break up the fracas, George shot him. Those were lawless times after the Civil War, and people had to make "justice" as they saw fit. The cattle team withdrew from LaJunta, riding SLOWLY across a gulch on a log bridge. Bill rode last, keeping an eye on the crowd behind, his rifle slung across the elbow-stump of his left arm.
Bill's life was twice saved by evils--booze & a rattle snake.
About 1869 he was riding point, ahead of the herd & Goodnight, near the Brazos River when a party of Comanches approached. He sent his horse off and hid among the tall canes in the river. The Indians rode through the canebreaks looking for him, but heard a rattlesnake in one patch. Bill knew enough Spansh to hear them say "He won't be in there". But he was. He was sitting cross legged and still among the canes when the rattlesnake crawled into his lap to bask in the sun, perhaps mistaking him for a warm rock. He didn't flinch. After they gave up looking for him he walked back, barefoot and in his long johns, to rejoin the crew. He looked like hell. Goodnight knew all the Wilson boys, but considered Bill the best of the lot. That was probably why Bill married Goodnight's step daughter.
In October 1871 Bill was with his crew & carloads of cattle in the Chicago stockyards. The men got so drunk that no hotel would put them up, so they slept with the cattle. Good thing, because the city burned that night, but not the stockyards. Bill retired in Lawton OK, and died about 1921. I'm fuzzy about dates.
Bill's dad, J.R., was described by Lucille in a Jack County history as "unassuming, without ambition beyond success in his business ventures, [a man who] aided Democracy in politics and served in the Home guard during the Secession War."

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 1:42AM GMT
I have found the following. Emmeline Wilson. d.o.d 4 May 1916. p.o.d. El Paso, El Paso, Texas. d.o.b 22 Nov. 1851. p.o.b.Titus County, Texas. Father-Jos. L Sheik. Mother-Sarah White. Burial- Lawton, Commanche Cy, Okla. (Family Search.org)

W. J. Wilson d.o.b. 7 April 1843. d.o.d.24 April 1922
A Eme Wilson d.o.b. 4 Oct. 1852 d.o.d. 4 May 1916
Both graves are located in Highland Cemetery, Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma. (Find-A-Grave # 76689655 and #76689588)

Seems good enough for me, Folks.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 6:56PM GMT
Hello,

I am interested in the Wilson brothers because of the participation of Fayette Wilson at the fight at the Double Mountain Fork, where some of my ancestors were also present. I've done some research on them and have some newspaper articles about them and everything I could find on the Double Mountain fight. It's been a while, but I can probably find my research, if it wasn't lost in a computer crash. I think I have paper copies somewhere. Have you heard the Goodnight quote about the Wilsons? It was something like, 'It is not known what ill fated star the Wilsons were born under, but they have certainly tried to live up to their destiny.' I have it somewhere. Are there any photos of the brothers? I would be happy to share with you what I have and would love to learn more about this
interesting family.

Thanks,

Mike Christeson, Mike.christeson@aol.com

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 7:56PM GMT
Hello,
I am currently reviewing the entire photo collection of J Marvin Hunter, publisher of "Trail Drivers of Texas" and "Frontier Times." This collection also includes the J. H. Rose collection as well as several other photo collections originally the property of various photographers that Hunter and Rose were able to acquire. This collection of about eight thousand pieces is a very rich source for western history buffs. There quite possibly could be photos of the Wilson brothers included in all of this. I have been finding photos of old trail drivers that I have not seen published. My research is purely for pleasure and unless I incur direct expenses for specific items I am more than willing to share what I find gratis with like minded history buffs who are not in the field or on the trail seeking a profit. I have seven different membership photos of the membership of The Old Trail Drivers of Texas from seven different reunions held in San Antonio. I would like to see this number increase dramatically. I can be contacted at pacon4927@sbcglobal.net and I invite all with an interest to get in touch.
No, I am not familiar with Goodnight's statement regarding the Wilson brothers. I read a lot and may have seen it and not copied it. This is especially true if the quote is in a book now included in my library. I am interested in the names of those involved in the Double Mountain fight that you are related to. I live in Austin, Texas where there are several excellent sources for research. I am also able to take day trips that put me in touch with additional sources.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:19PM GMT
Thanks for the quick response. I found the quote ... " It is not of record, under which ill star the Wilsons were born, but it is a matter of tradition that they were born for trouble, and they never belied their birthright." I will contact you at your email address with the names of the Double Mountain Fork participants.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions