Search for content in message boards

Fairfield / Donovan in Wicklow, Ireland, 1800s - 1840s

Fairfield / Donovan in Wicklow, Ireland, 1800s - 1840s

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 1:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fairfield / Donovan
Searching for Ellen Donovan, married to James Fairfield, Avoca, Wicklow. Their children were Robert Fairfield b. 1831, Bridget Fairfield b. 1833, Winifred Fairfield b. 1835, Mary Fairfield b. 1839, Ellen Fairfield b. 1842 & Margaret Fairfield b. 1844. The sponsors/informants for Robert, Bridget & Winifred Fairfield were Margaret Donovan, Cate Donovan, & Thomas + Mary Donevan/Donovan. Does anyone know of these people? Thanks.

Re: Fairfield / Donovan in Wicklow, Ireland, 1800s - 1840s

Posted: 2 Apr 2012 7:32PM GMT
Ellen Fairfield b 1842 is my Great Grandmother. Don't know anything on Donovan family as yet

Posted: 2 Apr 2012 11:11PM GMT
Hi Veronica,

Ellen's sister Bridget Fairfield b. 1833 emigrated to Australia. She was my g g grandmother. Their mother was Ellen Donovan of Wicklow. I'd love to find out more about them although I know the records are scarce.

Regards,

Anne

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 11:21AM GMT
Hi Anne,

Ellen Fairfield married William Doyle in Wicklow 1865, they had 9 children, a couple of them were born in Wicklow. They moved to Dublin later and had the rest of the children - one was John Doyle who later became my Grandfather (my mother's father). I didn't know until recently that Ellen's maiden name was Donovan, so I'm at an early stage in tracing Dovonan. Ellen Donovan's parents names are not on her marriage cert. The witnesses may me her brother and sister-in-law.
Lots of Donovans from every county in Ireland. I found one so far in Wicklow. Buried in St. Paul's Church of Ireland cemetery Wicklow "Mrs Mary Donovan Jan 1818 aged 70". She may not be one of ours!If you would like to have details of Ellen Fairfield's children, let me know. Do you have I share the same GGG grandmother, Ellen Donovan, so - wow!
Bye for now from way over here to way over there,
Veronica

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 12:10AM GMT
Surnames: Fairfield / Donovan in Wicklow, Ireland, 1800s-1840s
Hi Veronica,

Are you a member of Ancestry.com? I have a public tree on Ancestry called the Calder-Bennett Family tree. You will be able to see Bridget Fairfield's children in Australia there. Yes, we do share the same ggg grandmother, Ellen Donovan. I have an ancestry contact who, like you, is descended from Ellen Fairfield, b. 1842. He is also keen to hear from you. We've both reached a brick wall with Ellen Donovan and James Fairfield. Do you know anything about James Fairfield of Wicklow? I joined rootsireland about a year ago and worked out from the baptism certificates of all the Fairfield children born to Ellen and James that Ellen snr must have been a Donovan because the witnesses were just about all Donovans, including an Ellen Donovan. Then my contact asked a friend in Ireland to check the parish records and there it was! I also think that James and Ellen Fairfield snr lived or worked apart in or near Avoca (from the information on Griffith's Valuation). I would be over the moon if you knew anything more about James and Ellen and would like to share it with me. Do you by any chance have a picture of your Ellen? Unfortunately I don't have one of Bridget but from what I've heard, both sisters were beautiful. I am very interested in both the Donovans and the Fairfields and would like to trace them back as far as possible. I have left them for about a year because of the brick wall so I'm glad that you've come online. Perhaps together we can find out more about the Fairfields and Donovans of Avoca.
Regards,
Anne

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 4:47PM GMT
Hi Anne,
No I am not a member of Ancestry.com. I found you on rootsweb.com message board! Therefore, I cannot access your Calder-Bennett family tree. I don't have a photo of my Ellen and there are no relations living who would have her in their album.
Fairfiled James occupation - Labourer - on Ellen Jnrs marriage cert (father's occupation)
I'm working on searches for Donovan and Fairfield, so please don't think that I've gone away from you if you don't hear from me for a while. I will be happy to furnish you with any info I come up with. I've found some Donovans in Wicklow in the 1800s but haven't linked them with us as yet.
Questions:
Do you know anything about Robert Fairfield (James & Ellen's son?) Since he was the only male born to them - he should be easy to trace.
Is your other contact from Ireland?
Do you know of a public address i.e. local radio station, town hall etc. near you, to where I could post you my details? I could send to you C/o.
Since you are my blood relative, it would be nice to contact you privately.
Bye for now Cousin Anne,
Veronica

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: Fairfield / Donovan in Wicklow, Ireland, 1800s-1840s
Hi Veronica,

Do you have an email address? Mine is abentaylor2@gmail.com. My other contact Michael is Irish but lives in Europe. If you give me your email address I can forward it to him if you would like, or he was happy to give you his via email.
I don't know anything about Robert Fairfield. I haven't done anything on them for about a year. I've been concentrating on another ancestor for whom I can't find a death record and it is driving me crazy!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes,

Anne

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 9:40AM GMT
Hi Veronica, if youre connected to the Chapel Lane Doyles we probably have met. Anne is sending you my email address. I have quite a bit of info and some photos that i would be only too happy to share. M

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 3:58PM GMT
Hi M
Anne hasn't sent me your e-mail address as yet!
It has been such a week - hard to take it all in -mixed emotions!
Yes, I am connected to the Doyles of Chapel Lane - you are very smart to have made the connection.
I appreciate your willingness to share your info and photos with me. Looking forward to it all!
Bye for now and thanks a lot,
Veronica

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 6:20PM GMT
Thats fine Veronica, look forward to sharing the info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions