Search for content in message boards

James Howie

James Howie

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meyerhoff, Benson, Howie and Tilen
Greetings to All,

I am new to posting, so please bare with me. I have been trying to confirm who James Howie's (born 16 Nov 1838 Scotland and died 9 Mar 1883 Illinois) parents were. I would seem sooo easy today with computers and all, but I get all different information. My family line is Amanda Marie Meyerhoff (great grandmother) to her parents, heinrich Wilhelm Meyerhoff & Ada Ellen Howie, to James (Brown??) Howie & Amanda Melissa Benson. Any and ALL help on confirming and/or adding would really be a blessing. I do have information I would love to share, if anyone is interested. I have just hit a "brick wall" with the Howie,Benson,and Tilden Families.
Many Blessings and Awesome searches to ALL,
Sandy Maupin Cooper

Re: James Howie

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 11:18AM GMT
Hi, according to the online IGI this 16 Nov 1838 James Howie was the son of John Howie and Margaret Adam and was baptised in Neilston 10th Mar 1839. You need to check this on the scotlandspeople.gov.uk site. A member of the LDS church has also added an entry giving his death date - but of course there is no evidence that this is the same James Howie.
Irene

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 4:13PM GMT
Thanks Ms. Irene!! I will give it a shot. I have been told his parents were many different names. Once, I thought they could be, James Howie b. 1817 d. 1861 and Agnes McLelland b. 1815. But I can't find any thing to confirm.

Blessings from Texas,
sandy

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 5:01PM GMT
In my database I've got that James Howie and Agnes McLelland's son James Brown Howie immigrated to Canada around the mid 1850s Settled in Ontario until approx. 1869 when the family moved and settled in Manitoba

Married Jane Harkness in 1859
Children: Agnes, Matthew, William, James, Mary, Margaret, Rachel, Jane.

So if your James married someone else then you've got another James.

Irene

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Howie
Hello Irene,

Well?????? Now i am really lost. because my Howie died in Southern Illinois.
Thanks for the information.......I guess I am back to digging.

Blessings,
sandy

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 7:26AM GMT
Hi Sandy
You said you were looking for
James Howie born 16 Nov 1838 Scotland and died 9 Mar 1883 Illinois.

If your dates are right then it looks as if this James was the one born to John Howie and Margaret Adam, because the other James Howie born in 1838 to James Howie and Agnes McLelland emigrated to Canada.

How sure are you of the birth date? Have you found your James's immigration year? Is there any sign of the naming pattern in the names of his children?
I tried to contact you off list but it bounced.
Irene lowlandscot@sky.com

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Howie
Sorry it took so long to get with with you. I will pull his death certificate again. But I know it said date of death 9 mar 1883 in Sparta, Randolph, Il. I think it even told of his age when he died.
I dont know why I didnt get your email. My emails going to my laptop and my cell phone. ( I use Apple.)
well my email is .......sandy4LSU@att.net

Thanks again for your time,
sandy :-)

Posted: 9 Jun 2010 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: howie
i have info on james howie ,he was my great grandfather .please contact me at nixrox@verizon.net,will send you info your looking for ...leisa howie woods

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 2:40AM GMT
Surnames: Howie, Jacobs
I have done some studying of this line because there was a Sarah Howie Jacobs who moved up to Randolph County, IL from Tennessee. She is part of my Howie family from Lauderdale County, Alabama. One of my dad's cousins had been in contact with those in the Randolph and Perry County area, but I didn't inherit her records. If I should happen to have something that you don't have, I 'll be glad to share it.

Ronnie Howie

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 2:20AM GMT
Hi Leisa~

I tried to email you but it wouldn't go through. Please let me know if you have another email address. Thanks & Blessings =)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions