Search for content in message boards

Benoni Loftin - Craven County, NC Justice???

Benoni Loftin - Craven County, NC Justice???

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 9:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Loftin
I am a direct descendant of Benoni Loftin. For quite a while now I have seen postings on a variety of genealogy sites stating that he was a Justice of the Craven County, North Carolina court in 1735. Unfortunately, I can't find any proof of this. Can someone out there point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Mike Moore
Oro Valley, AZ

Re: Benoni Loftin - Craven County, NC Justice???

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 6:57AM GMT
Hello Mike,

I do not have this info, however, I find it very interesting that you're in Oro Valley, AZ and my father is in Marana, AZ. Not too far from one another. I am also a direct descendent of Benoni Loftin, so I will look into this!

Thank for your research on our family!

Sincerely,
Kristen

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 10:43AM GMT
Hi Kristen:

It really is a small world. I'm originally from West Tennessee and am dying to get back there.

I'm looking at membership in a hereditary organization called Sons & Daughters of Colonial and Antebellum Bench and Bar and this is why I'm looking for this information. Some of these posts say that Benoni's brother Cornelius was also a justice but I haven't found any proof of that either.

I appreciate any help you can give me Kristen!

Mike

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 5:35PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2012 5:36PM GMT
Mike: I saw your 06 Jan 2011 post on the Loftin Message Board. Send me your email address and I will send you what I have on Benoni. He is in my direct line through William Dothan Loftin, my gggrandfather who settled in North Louisiana (Red River Parish) and had 15 children. As a consequence, there are a gazillion Loftins in this part of the country. With kindest regards, I am,
Your cousin,

Wm. Glenn Morgan
wmglenn2008@bellsouth.net

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 3:25AM GMT
I too am a descendant of Benoni Loftin. My grandfather was Forest Game Loftin, my father Stanley Loftin.
I have quite a bit of info re the family genealogy and would be happy to share with you

However, I do not recall info about Benoni being a Justice

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 3:30AM GMT
This is very interesting as there was rumor in our family while i was growing up that my gggrandfather left Mississippi and moved to NC for a time an had a second famiy there. I've never been able to confirm this
I did post my gedcom file online of the Loftin Family.

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 9:08PM GMT
I am also a descendant of Benoni. His father Leonard was an attorney and Justice in the Chowan County area of NC (Edenton). I have photographs of documents in the records at the Chowan County Courthouse that prove this to be true. I did not look for Benoni, but think information on him being a Justice would likely be in the Lenoir County (Kinston, NC) area where he settled. I will attach on photo and if you want more, let me know.
Attachments:

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 10:13PM GMT
Hi Glenn:

Thanks for the reply! My email address is zymurmike@netzero.com. Anything you send will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 10:17PM GMT
I appreciate the offer and if you have any more photos, I would very much appreciate receiving them. I'm trying to get into a couple hereditary organizations...Sons & Daughters of the Antebellum Bench and Bar and Sons & Daughters of Antebellum Planters. This should help immensely. Thanks!

Regards,

Mike

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 1:55AM GMT
Three photos:
One showing Leonard Loftin (1654) being appointed as attorney to represent a woman's interests.
One showing the Loftin home on land owned by Loftins for 12 generations. The farm is named Mosy Oaks Farm and is near Kinston, NC in the community of Loftins Crossroads (Third Photo). The current home is built on the foundation of the original home which burned in the 1880's.

Hope this helps!!!
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic