Search for content in message boards

Marriage Lookups

Marriage Lookups

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hoping there is someone out there who would be interested in helping me. I am desperately trying to find the maiden name of the mother of these two Schneider siblings and am hoping it will be on their marriage licenses.

Could some please look them up for me? All I have is year of marriage.

Josephine Schneider to Julius Mexal - 1915

George P. Schneider to Catherine Walizer - 1905 or 1906

Thank you so much in advance!

Misty

Re: Marriage Lookups

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Schneider, Snyder, Walizer, Mexal
I saw your post on the Phila mess bd earlier; when it wasn't there later, I did some hunting to locate your message.

You can send away for the marriage license for Julius Mexal to Josephine M Schneider from the family history library. Takes several weeks and costs $2 a record with a minimum order for $4. It is a little complicated, so let me know if you would like to go this route. I did not see George Schneider (or Snyder) listed in the marriage records marrying a Walizer. The 1915 record should contain parents' names; the 1905-1906 record would probably not contain parents' names. I did not see a marriage posting in the Philadelphia Inquirer for either Schneider.

Do you have the father's name and mother's first name for Josephine and George Schneider? I could see if there was any surname for the mother listed in their obits if they died before 1923.

----------------------------------------------------
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Marriage Index, 1885-1951
about Josephine M Schneider
Name: Josephine M Schneider
Spouse Surname: Julius Mexal
Spouse Gender: Male
Marriage Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Marriage Year: 1915
Marriage License Number: 336117
Digital GSU Number: 4141922

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Phila death certificates: familysearch.org/
Name: Catharine Snyder
Event: Death
Event Date: 20 Jan 1911
Event Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Race: white
Estimated Birth Year: 1911
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1910
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Marital Status: Single
Father: George E.
Father's Birthplace: Penna.
Mother: Catharine Walizer
Mother's Birthplace: Phila.
Street Address: 4817 Ogel St. Ward 21
Cemetery: Leveington
Burial Date: 22 Jan 1911
Film Number: 1405405
Digital Folder Number: 4009171
Image Number: 272
Reference Number: cn 1744

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 2:15AM GMT
I have Schneiders & Walissers (note the double "s" instead of the "z") in my tree as well, but not specifically your family. Where did your family live? My Schneiders emigrated to the US (mostly Kansas) from the Volga region in Russia in the early 1900s, and then some continued on to northern Alberta. If this sounds like this might connect with your family, let me know. I have an extensive Schneider tree and might be able to help connect the dots somewhere ....
Happy hunting!
:)

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 2:36PM GMT
Thank you for the information that you found...I appreciate you taking the time.

George Phillip Schneider and Josephine Schneider Mexal were the children of Peter Joseph Schneider and Mary ?. On the 1900 Census Mary's mother is living with them and is listed as a Barbey...but I can't find any other listing for her. Am hoping to confirm the maiden name of Peter's wife, Mary, with the marriage applications.

George and Josephine's mother Mary died on September 21, 1920. Their father, Peter, died on June 24, 1912. Both are buried in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church Cemetery (which is where I found their death dates).

George Schneider is my line and the child with the death certificate was his second child. His son William is my great grandfather and he is the one I am trying to find. I don't even have a birth date for him. He married my great grandmother when he was 19 so that puts his birth year around 1915. He later left and married 4 more times (at least by family story). He is a mystery LOL.

Thanks for your help!

Misty

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 2:44PM GMT
I apologize for not listing this as Philadelphia...I wasn't paying attention and thought I had posted this under "Philadelphia".

Sorry about the oversight.

Misty

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 12:04AM GMT
Surnames: schneider mexal
Misty, I have some info for you on the Mexal side.

Josephine Schneider Mexal was my grandmother on my father's side. As you've noticed, there's a lot of variety in spellings. My grandfather was Julien Mexal, not Julius. It often appears as the latter and surname gets massacred so it's hard to track down info. Josephine had an older sister Madeline who moved from PA to NYC; that was my father's "Aunt Lee". Can't find much on her. There was also an "Uncle Pete". That makes 4 Schneider children: George, Madeline, Josephine,and Peter.

I'm not an Ancestry member so I'd appreciate it if you'd share anything you have "up" the Schneider tree. From Germany?, how many generations previous?, etc.

BTW, did you know that St. Mary's was the "German Catholic" parish in Manayunk section of Phila., St. Lucy's was Italian, St. Josephat's was Polish. I'm in NM now so not sure the state of those ethnic traditions.

--Catherine

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 2:25PM GMT
Catherine,

Thanks so much for responding...its always wonderful to find family members!

Peter Joseph Schneider and Mary Knapp (daughter of Gregory Knapp) had the following children:

1. August Anthony: 5/12/1879 - 4/17/1944. Died Riverside, NJ. Married a Caroline _________.

2. George Phillip: 8/22/1880 - 12/23/1955 Died Philadelphia(George is my line). Married Catherine Viola Walizer

3.Magdeline: 11/6/1884 - 8/15/1966. Never married and a nurse by profession. Buried with parents at St. Marys

4. William Gregory: 8/12/1886 - After 1942. Married Katherine Burg

5. Josephine: 5/1888 - 9/4/1969. Married Julien Mexal. Buried St. Marys with parents.

6. Peter Joseph Jr.: 5/19/1890 - 5/15/1934. Buried St. Marys with parents.

7. Phillip A.: 12/19/1893. No known information except that he shows up on a couple of census.

Peter Joseph Schneider was the son of August(us) and Mary _______ Schneider. Before moving to Philadelphia the last name was spelled "Snyder", after Philadelphia it was spelled Schneider. I know pretty much nothing on August(us) and Mary so unfortunately I can't help much there. They have been very difficult to trace but I'm still working on it LOL. I know that August(us) was the first of our line here in America and I do believe that he and Mary were married before immigrating but I'm still working on that. On one of the children's 1920 Census August(us) is listed as born in Alsace, France and Mary is listed as born in Cologne, Germany.

Mary Knapp Schneider was the daughter of Gregory and Mary Peters Knapp and was born in Trevorton, Northumberland Co. PA. Gregory Knapp died October 1873 and the family then moved to where the oldest son was living, Locust Dale, Schuykill Co. PA and that was where Mary and Peter met. Gregory has been listed as from Wurttemburg, Germany and his wife from Switzerland but I haven't been able to tie them to these locations yet. I believe I found when they immigrated: Ship was "American Eagle" on July 12, 1847. Place of origin was Germany and port of departure was London. Immigrated was Gregory, Mary and their firstborn Joseph.

Would love to exchange information with you! My email address is : mbclaywell@hotmail.com if you would like to correspond.

Have a wonderful day!

Misty

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions