Search for content in message boards

BLACK IRISH

BLACK IRISH

heather c. flanagan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: flanagan

i am curious if anyone can give me or lead me to some information to the term "black irish' i have tried to do some research on the web and i have not gotten very far, any hel would be appreciated. thank u

Black Irish

Ray McLoughlin (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mc Loughlin
The term has been used loosely, but I was always told it meant dark haired and reddish skin. It has been erroneously linked to the defeat of the Spanish Armada and shipwrecked spanish landing in Ireland, probably to excuse the dark characteristics. The fact is the Celts inhabited France, Spain, Germany and most of central europe. My guess is that the so called Black Irish are probably more common. It is the fair skinned ,blond Irish that may be of foreign origin...viking or other.

Re: BLACK IRISH

Posted: 28 Nov 2001 3:24AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2003 12:10AM GMT
Surnames: Flanagan
I always thought it meant Protestant and Orange Irish were Catholic. Phyllis Flanagan Elenich

Re: Black Irish

Mike Cusack (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2002 3:21PM GMT
The area known as Lough Linne is Norway. The norse were generally fair haired and called fionn-gall. The dub gall or black foreigners were from Denmark. 2. There was a medieval settlement [fragmentary annals of Ireland pre 1100AD of blue men from The North African Mediterian Coast] these took the name Gormley. Gallagher means foreign father.3. The Irish were enslaved into the West Indies by Cromwell. There are black families of genuine Irish Ancestry from mixed blood. The Boyne family of Bath are a successful example, as their ancestor was kidnapped as a little boy by Cromwells troops and took the name Boyne when reared among black slaves in the Carribean, as this is all he remembered. Michael Cusack.

Re: BLACK IRISH

Posted: 21 Nov 2002 10:01AM GMT
THE BRITTISH ISLES WERE OVERRULED BY ROMANS! THESE PEOPLE MIXED WITH THE CELTS PRODUCING A WHTE MILKY TRAIT IN THE IRISH PEOPLE WITH DARK BLACK HAIR, SOMETIMES BLACK EYES LIKE ITALIAN RACES BUT SOMETIMES BLUE ONES. THIS IS WHAT BLACK IRISH MEANS, I HAPPEN TO BE OF THE CLAN OF O'CONNELL AND BLACK IRISH, BUT ALSO HAVE BLACK IRISH IN ME FROM THE COSTELLO SIDE OF ME. HOPE THIS SHEDS LIGHT ON YOUR TOPIC. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION TRUST ME!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic