Search for content in message boards

Nathaniel WEIR & Mariah TERWILLIGER - Beer's History of Allegany County

Nathaniel WEIR & Mariah TERWILLIGER - Beer's History of Allegany County

Posted: 19 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 27 Aug 2002 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: WEIR, TERWILLIGER, ODELL, MILLS, VANDERMARK, SCHOLES, BEHREN
Nathaniel WEIR was born in Washington county, in 1833. He went to Birdsall when he was thirteen years old, and subsequently to Angelica. He married Miss Marion* [Mariah - see note below] TERWILLIGER.

[Source: History of Allegany County, New York, New York: F. W. Beers & Co., 1879, p. 208, (Angelica)]

Additional information submitted by Ruth Thoden:

Nathaniel WEIR born 9 Apr 1835 Washington Co., NY, son of Andrew WEIR and his wife, Mary M. (surname unknown.)

Mariah TERWILLIGER was born 19 Jun 1839 in Birdsall, Allegany Co., NY, daughter of Levi TERWILLIGER and Susan ODELL (my great great grandparents.) Levi was son of Josiah TERWILLIGER and Rachel MILLS; Josiah son of Jan TERWILLIGER and Jacomyntje VANDERMARK, etc. etc. etc.

Children born to Nathaniel WEIR and Mariah TERWILLIGER were Susan Bertha Weir born 1862 Burdette L. Weir born 1866 Fred WEIR born 1864.

At age of 17, Nathaniel WEIR appeared in 1850 census for Birdsall in household of Andrew, 44; Mary from Vermont, 45.

By 1870, Nathaniel, 34 and Mariah, 30 are residing in Angelica, Allegany Co., NY

Quote from "Angelica Collectania" found in Angelica Library, Allegany County, NY:

WEIR, Mrs. Maria, lot 71 1839-1912; born in West Almond, Allegany County on 6/13/1839, widow of late Nathaniel Weir. Survived by two sons, Burdette and Fred; also one sister, Mrs. Esther SCHOLES; one daughter Mrs. Henry BEHREN; six grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

She was recipient of letter from her oldest brother, Benniah, while he was stationed in "Washington City, Camp Warren dated March 14, 1862. He called her LIB as probably did the entire family and signed off his letter to MET from BT -- We can assume correctly I think that her given name was Mariah Elizabeth....Benniah and her brother, David, fought in the NYS Volunteer Infantry.

David died in Andersonville Prison in August, 1864 and Benniah was granted a medical discharge in December, 1862 and died the following June. I can remember as a child visiting the Burdette Weir family with my maternal grandfather, Jesse Deming Terwilliger.

Re: Nathaniel WEIR & Mariah TERWILLIGER - Beer's History of Allegany County

Catherine Mullikin (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 12:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you have any knowledge of which regiment(s) they served in?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions