Search for content in message boards

Some thoughts on the NC GRIDER/GRYDER/CRIDER ancestry brick walls

Some thoughts on the NC GRIDER/GRYDER/CRIDER ancestry brick walls

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Apr 2002 5:41PM GMT
I go from book to book and document to document...and it seems we just can't get a definite handle on GRIDERS/GRYDERS/CRIDERS when trying to trace positively back to VA, and then back to PA and some in MD.

I wonder if we might not at least solve/or perhaps add to one mystery here. In reading the ELLER (also spelled EYLER, etc.) history book written by James William Hook, i.e., The History and Genealogy of George Michael Eller and Related Families, 1957, we find very similar family movements from Germany, and also a tantalizing mention of a John Grider selling 4 acres of land to a Dutch Church on Pipe Creek in Maryland.

POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND:

1) I want to preface this by saying that there WERE two known Mennonite Greiter males who took oaths in Carroll Cty, MD, in 1728, and it looks as if those two may have been migrants from the PA, Mennonite, Ittlingen GREITERS/KREIDERS, as mentioned in John Marsh's work, in: Penn. Menn. Heritage, 1985.

2) We should also keep in mind, at least those of us who suspect that the Frederick "KREUTER" who married Anna Barbara Eyler/Euler in September of 1740 in Conewago, PA, may be the father of our NC boys of Burke County, NC, that in this Eller history, some of them, too, were in Conewago and migrated to Maryland. (Could this be one reason why our John Grider, Sr., who married Isabel Blair was born in Maryland in 1755? Were his parents migrating with other Eller families via the relationship of Fred's wife, Anna Barbara Eyler/Euler, after other Eyler/Ellers/whatever immigrated in the 1740's?)

3) If we subscribe to the theory that the 1736 vessel Princess Augustus brought our ancestors over, then it was written in 1922 by Albert Faust that there was another known son: Hans, born circa 1728 or thereabouts (my file not out here). He may/may not have made it to America (if he didn't die, he'd have had to have been raised by someone else OR he just wasn't mentioned in ship listings because of his child status--he was a child from the 2nd of the supposed 3 marriages of Joggie Greider. Fred/Fridlin and Marti were supposed to be children of the first marriage. Joggie's 3rd wife was supposedly Barbara Christen.

Anyway here's some excerpts from the book:

"Settlers who came to America in the 17th and 18th centuries and settled in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia and migrated thence into the Carolinas and Georgia are not as easy to follow as those who settled in New England.....Western North Carolina, where these families lived, did not feel the impetus of permanent settlement until about the second quarter of the 18th century....At that time thrifty settlers from New Jersey, palatine Germans from Pennsylvania and Maryland, and the Se[sic:c]otch-Irish
from Ulster came streaming in to take up land in all parts of the state, particularly in the huge district in the north west that came to be known as Rowan County..." (preface)

"The Eller families in America came, apparently, from the Palatinate of Germany in the first half of the 18th century...arrival of thirteen families each spelling the name Eller who took Oath of Allegiance to the state and province of Pennsylvania between 1740 and 1772.....other families with such names as Oehler, Eyler, Uhler, Aller, E??eller, Euler, Ahler, Ohler, and Uller came at various times between 1737 and 1768 but since all of these names are found in present day families it is not likely that the Ellers of America were descended from any of them." {note: never say never...we find Anna Barbara Eyler listed as a Euler, too, and I'm sure there's a ton of them out there--in fact the author himself showed two males on one ship with alternate spellings.. I think the writer made this statement in view of his own personal interest in George Eller.}

This 1957 author traced:

Michael Eller, imm. 1743 through Rotterdam...found on tax list of Rowan county, NC.

George Eller, 1743, different ship...had come with a Hans Georg Oehler...ended up in Frederick Cty, MD

Henry Eller, through Rotterdam, 1746...also found in Frederick Cty, MD....thought to be brother of George Michael Eller.

Christian Eller...via Rotterdam, 1747...found on Crane Creek in Rowan Cty, NC.

Jacob Eller, lived on the Yakin River, Rowan, NC

Melker/Melcher Eller, Crane Creek, Rowan Cty....later had to defend estates on charges of being Tories...were probably German Baptist Bretheren (Dunkards..also found in Conewago, PA, etc., too)

Keep in mind; some various Ellers were born in VA, on the pathway down to the Carolinas, like our Griders.

Peter and Elizabeth Eller of Wilkes and Ashe Counties, NC, again lists as being from the German Palatine and as German Baptist Brethren....this church grew rapidly in northwestern NC, and we know one of our Grider boys was a Baptist, too.

Now, let's look at what the author had to say about the history of: ..... the German Baptist Brethren Church that came from Schwarzenau founded by Peter Becker , also in 1719, brought his church from Krefelt, Germany to Germantown, PA...then, in 1729, Alexander Mack found congregations at Wissahicton, near Germantown in Chester County, AND at Conestoga, some 15 miles south of Lancaster, PA.....now, says the author:

"FROM THESE STARTING POINTS, THE CHURCH SPREAD TO CONOWEGO IN YORK COUNTY AND THENCE TO MARYLAND INCLUDING PIPE CREEK IN 1758...."

Pipe Creek, was believed to be near Union Bridge in Carrol County, about "two miles northeast of the Eller farms."

"At the Annual Meeting of all Brethren Congregations in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Viginia were held at Pipe Creek...."

"One of the churches that served the Pipe Crerek and Beaver Dam Brethren may have been on a 4 acre tract of land described as part of 'Browns Delight,' that, on October 8, 1765, was deeded to the 'Dutch Congregation of Pipe Creek' by John GRIDER" (Garber listed as source of this data for this author).

Now, obviously, we don't know who this John Grider is....and I make no claims...but it's interesting that we see suspicious data both in Conewago AND in Maryland. This data could all be red herrings for "our Griders of Northwestern NC" but hey, maybe someone out there will read this and be able to shed light on something?

Anyone got any info or ideas out there?

Re: Some thoughts on the NC GRIDER/GRYDER/CRIDER ancestry brick walls

Posted: 22 Aug 2005 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Schenck/Schenk/Shenk/Shank{s}, Greitor/Greiter/Kreiter/Kreitor/Cryder/Crider, Seubert/Subert/Seybert/Seibert
Hi Melissa,
My name is Cristy Crider, I am married to a Crider, but am a Shank by blood. I am the 8th great niece of Barbara Shank that married Jakob Greitor/Kreiter/Crider in 1690. I know nothing of the NC Criders as of yet....My interest lies in finding my husbands ggg grandfathers "parents", John H. Crider b, abt 1807 Penn. d, Mar 1870 in Jefferson County, West Virginia. John H.Crider married Eliza Seibert b, 1813 Maryland, d, 1868 West Virginia ?. I have a few books on Criders {all spellings} and will look up some of your surnames.....If I can help you I will. Have you ever seen this John H. Crider in your findings anywhere? I am trying to prove that my husbands line comes from Barbara Schenck/Schenk/Shank and Jakob Greitor/Kreiter/Crider, or at least one of the brothers or nephews to Jakob and Barbara. I know the link is there. It all fits. I have this entire line by the way, "Shanks and Criders". If you have any info, please e-mail me at jccrider618@hotmail.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks so much Cristy Crider

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Crider.Grider, McCullough, McCollough
Looking for info on Barbara Crider(Grider??) married to a AndrewlJ McCullough/McCollough. I believe she was in Huntingdon County PA from 1850-1870

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 8:32PM GMT
Hi: you need to be careful on this name, in this time period. There WERE many bonafide CRIDERS stemming out from some areas of PA and VA. Of course, the GRIDERS had many name changes like Crider/Cryder/Gryder, etc., too---so you must search two completely unrelated huge groups from that and prior eras. I checked our files and cannot find any Crider/Grider, Barbaras that might fit this bill...this is what makes me think that your Barbara may actually have stemmed from any of the other CRIDERS found historically in early Virginia---I know a book has been written about this surname there, too. Regards, Melissa--haven't done any more genealogy for years but found your post interesting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions