Search for content in message boards

Lafford French's name

Lafford French's name

Posted: 16 Aug 2005 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Oct 2006 9:23PM GMT
NEWS FLASH! New research blows published genealogies out of the water!

Named after his great-grandfather, Leffert. His grandmother was named Aeltje Frederickse Leffertse (which means daughter of Leffert). Dutch names.

Lafford French was PROBABLY the son of Joseph French and Hannah van Horne. - Someone cough up a proof for me, please!

Joseph had a brother name William - proved by William's Will. Both lived in Raritan Landing, Middlesex Co., NJ.

William married Annetje Sebring on 28 Dec 1742 in Raritan Landing. Annetje's mother was named Aeltje Frederickse Leffertse (which means daughter of Leffert).

Joseph married Hannah Van Horne on 3 Jan 1749 in Raritan Landing.

William and Annetje had a son named Leffert.

So did Joseph and Hannah.

Re: Lafford French's name

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 10:56PM GMT
has there been any conclusion on the father of Laffort?

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 12:12AM GMT
Surnames: French
Hope this information will be of some help to you:

Joseph French,II, born in Shrewsbury, N.J. in 1723. At age 26 he married Hannah Horn on June 2, 1749. She was the daughter of Simon and Sarah Olden Horn. The couple moved to Spartanburg S.C. and had 5 children. Sarah,b. 1754 married Hugh Moore. William, Joseph III, Lefford (Lafford), and Simon. All four sons entered the Contintal Army from Spartanburg, S.C.. After the war Simon, William and Joseph III moved to Kentucky.

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 9:36PM GMT
William, Simon and Joseph are given as children of Lafford. In an affidavit by Jane McMillian dated 09 Nov 1854, to support his widow’s (Elizabeth Gregory) application for Revolutionary War widow’s pension, Jane states that she knew Lafford French at the time of the Revolutionary War, that he was a horseman and often at the house of her father, Capt David McDowell, and in service with her father and brother; he was regarded as one of the best soldiers of his day, and almost constantly in service during the Revolution, Roebucks and Thomas regiments. She says she knew his brothers, William, Simon and Joseph. Ancestry.com, Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900 [data base on file] Provo, UT, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.2010.... so I'm confused. Also, Lafford is alleged to have a son, Moses. Any input is appreciated

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: French
These official French Family sites may help you.

http://small-stuff.com/FRENCH/DNA/results.htm

http://www.frenchfamilyassoc.com/FFA/

Rootsweb John French brickmason Jeanette French

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=jsfrench

Judith Jane French
DNA Group 1 F09810 David French Sr. NJ 1747
FFA Chart #188 John French/Richard/Robert/David Sr./David Jr./Phineas/Theodore/Charles/Wm O. Sr./
William Oswald French, Jr. donor
(Son of my father John's oldest brother Wm. O. Sr.)

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 1:26PM GMT
Thank you for this information. I have been searching for William's family.

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:43PM GMT
I spoke too soon, Lafford French is not my line..But this has certainly been interesting reading. My William supposedly born in the 1780's in Spartanburg SC married Nancy Chapman. Surely someone can tie this William to the other South Carolina Frenchs' or was this William the black sheep?

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 1:26AM GMT
Yes, thank you. That does help. What source are you citing for this info?

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 1:29AM GMT
Thanks for the help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions