Search for content in message boards

John W Knott, Soda Springs Idaho

John W Knott, Soda Springs Idaho

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knott
This gentleman was pastor of a Presbyterian church there from 1896-1899. I note that there is a John W Knott who ran for Secretary of State in the 1898 election, on the prohibition ticket. He was soundly trounced. Is there a way for me to find out where the candidate John W Knott was from, and whether the two men may be one and the same? I've found some information on line but so far I haven't found anything about the background of the candidates.

Rev. John W Knott of Soda Springs is my great grandfather.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Janice in Indiana

Re: John W Knott, Soda Springs Idaho

Posted: 4 Jan 2014 5:48PM GMT
Unfortunately, the Soda Springs newspaper was not established until 1900. I looked in the Pocatello paper which was the county seat for the area which was later formed into Caribou County (Soda Springs is the county seat). The Pocatello paper was strongly Silver Republican and carried photos and biographies of all the candidates for that party in the 1898 election, but generally ignored all other parties. All I saw was the vote count which you have apparently also seen. Since the election was statewide, I'll bet that if I can look in a paper that was prohibitionist, there may be info on Knott. My 1913 Ayer's Newspaper Directory shows the partisan leaning of papers, but none of the Idaho papers at the time are shown as Prohibitionist. I may take a look to see if I can locate a copy of the 1898 Ayer's Directory. Also, next time I am at the Idaho History Library, I'll see if they have anything that would help - like the Secretary of State Election Division records, etc. John in Boise

Posted: 4 Jan 2014 6:04PM GMT
The Ayer Newspaper Annual for 1898 is online at the Library of Congress but there was no Idaho paper proclaiming itself to be aligned with the Prohibition Party at that time. On to plan b. John in ID

Posted: 4 Jan 2014 10:57PM GMT
John, thank you so much for your help. I was actually able to answer my own question. I found a listing in a newspaper right here on Ancestry from late May, that gave the lists of all the candidates. In that issue, the prohibition candidate for Secretary of State is listed as Rev. John W. Knott, of Soda Springs, Idaho. That would be my great grandfather, all right!

It's possible that another reason the party went down to defeat was that they were ahead of the times in more ways than one. The candidate for governor was a woman, as was the candidate for state auditor! But...someone had to be the first, I guess.

Are you by any chance related to anyone in this family? Whether you are are you aren't, I sure do appreciate your kind offers of help. If you stumble across anything else that you think I'd be interested in, let me know.

Janice in Indiana

Janice in Indiana

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 4:58PM GMT
Hi, Janice--I just found that same article from 28 May 1898 in the Idaho Daily Statesman. Idaho had amended its Constitution in 1896 to give women the vote, so it is not surprising to me that the Prohibition Party would put women on their ticket. What is surprising is how poorly the party did. There were some pretty strong economical issues that were working to keep the state "wet". I'm not related - just interested. John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions