Search for content in message boards

Cate- Cates

Cate- Cates

Lenora Ann Cate - Williams (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cate, Cates, Cate's
I am the daughter of Gary Lyne Cate born 1-7-43 to:
Ira Hastings Cate and Sarah Lee Lucas Cate.
My father is buried at Old Hall Cemetary next to his mother and Dad. Next to his father is his grandparents James and Lenora Cate. There are many Cate and Cates at Old Hall, some markers are back some ways under a tree. My Dad told me who they were and how they were related, but I can not remember. I do remember him talking about Uncle Homer.

Ira was married atleast 3 times. Wife 1) Bertha Curtis, they had three children that died and whose graves are next to my dad, Totsie, Curtis and (?) He also married Janie Cates, Janie had my Uncle George F Cates that past away recently, Aunt Frances and Myrtlee. I think Sara had Edward he was named after Ira's brother Edward but this child could have been Janie's or Bertha's I never thought to ask. Sara had my Aunts Barbara Janice, Beverly, and Uncle Johnny (named after Ira's brother John) I have always been told that Grandpa had 15 brothers and one sister. I am sure his father also had many wifes and Children.

The Cate's all have a familuar look and sound about them,
To all my Cate Family I say Hello,
P.S. Glad our little group wasn't the only ones plagued by the Cate - Cate's - Cates problem.

This stuff is interesting!

Re: Cate- Cates

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 9:29PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2006 9:02PM GMT
I was just wondering if you know any information about a James Cate(Cates) married to a Lenora (Eleanora) Iles. All I knowis they had a son named Jesse Cate (Cates) and was bjust curious if you know any information. thanks

Lenora Cate -Williams (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Cate- Cates
My Great Grandfather was James Cate he was married to Lenora Cate (whom I was named for) they are burried at Old Hall cemetary, it is off 35 (toward Denton). close to Lewisville TX.
My Grandftather Ira Cate also had a brother named Jesse, one named Homer and one named Carlus(sp) There was around 15 brothers or so my Dad always said. I do not recall if they are also buried at Old hall. I do recall my dad talking about his Uncles Merita has alot of the info on our family and she is confirmed to be a neice of Ira H. Cate. My Aunt Beverly Cate- Smith is having trouble witht her ISP, she will be adding info later on.
Are You Uncle Jesse child or Grand Child ?

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2006 9:02PM GMT
Jesse Cates was married to a minnie stockard, their child Hettie Gertrude Cates married Homer Green and their child James Kennith Green was my grandfather.
I dont know if any of this may ring a bell or not.
thank you again.
megan

mary cates hall (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2004 3:38PM GMT
My father was Ira Dean Cates, father Adam and mother was Rose Hamilton. My ggrandfather was Sam Cates married to Jane White both of Grapevine TX. They had 9 children. I am looking for info on Sam and Jane and yes we Cates are all cut from the same cloth as my Mom used to say. And we have all had to spell the name so many times. thanks for any info

Posted: 5 Apr 2005 3:24AM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2005 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: Cate, Cates, Cate's
Mary,
Thanks for the post. I have not come across your Dad in my search yet, sure I will at some point. I have seen only 2 other Ira Cate(s) and they were in Tennesse.
My Great grandparents were James and Lenora Cate came to Texas from Tennesse. I am told many of his brothers and uncles also came in the 1800's and 1900's. The children I have found listed in census and Newspaper articles are: James, Alonzo "Dorris", E. Homer, John Floyd, Jesse, Dellous, Carlos, Charlotte. Ira Hastens Cate.
It is believed that my Great Grandfather's father was Solomon A. Cate, his children were Ellen, Anderson, Nancy,Mary, Jane, Sara J, John... Solomon also had a brother named James Cate, I am told that Robert Cate was their father. All the uncles lived in the Grapevine, lake Dallas, Lewisville, Little Elm area. Some were in Dallas and Tarrant County. I have heard of Sam what is the time of his birth/death?
I have several cousins that are researching, I will be glad to ask them for info on your branch of the tree.

mary cates hall (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2005 1:40PM GMT
My ggrandfater's name was Sam and he was born in the Grapevine area aobut 1854. He married Jane White born in the same area about 1856. I don't know their parents name. My Grandfather Adam was born in 1873 0r 74. He had borthers and sissiters, named Tommy, Mamie, ollie Josie and there were some others, I think 8 or 9 in all. Any info you could provide would be helpful. i think they oringinated in Tenn also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions