Search for content in message boards

Passenger list for Caesar Godeffroy 1868

Passenger list for Caesar Godeffroy 1868

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
I have a list of passengers arriving in Port Adelaide 12 Sept 1868 and Sydney Sept/Oct 1868 on the Ship Caesar Godeffroy.
reply to this thread for a look up.

Re: Passenger list for Caesar Godeffroy 1868

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 11:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BAER
could you please check for Karoline/Caroline BAER aged abt 13. Also any clue about whom she might be traveling with.
thanks so much for the offer.
Do you know how to locate the passenger list from the Hamburg end?
Barb

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: Baer
Hi Barb Re Caroline Baer passenger on the Ceasar Godefroy.
Caroline was the only Baer to travel from Hamburg from 1866 to 1869 She came from Schwiebus in Preussen.
Without knowing relatives it is difficult to see if she was traveling alone.A 13 year old Female traveling alone could possibly indicate an Orphan.
Sorry but I don't know how to locate the passenger lists from the Hamburg end, There are a lot of lists on Findmypast.com.au.
I have a transcribed copy of all passenger lists from Hamburg 1866,1867 and 1869 if you need further look-ups

The Caesar Godeffroy departed Hamburg on 23 May 1868 stopping at Cuxhaven and departing 3days latter, Arriving in Port Adelaide Saturday September 12th 1868.
Graham

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 11:25AM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 11:27AM GMT
Surnames: BAER PRZYBILA
Thank you Graham. One riddle about Caroline is now solved and a much more intriguing one has opened up. Who on earth was she and why did she come to Aust without her parents.
Do you know if the passengers were linked in any way eg were they all Lutherans?

One more request please: Caroline BAER may have been the niece of Matthias PRZYBILA. Does that surname appear on any of your passenger lists?

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 6:12AM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2012 6:14AM GMT
Caroline Baer Certainly intriguing, for during this period South Australia were taking a lot of immigrants mostly Skilled and useful singles and families. Why? she was traveling alone we are not sure.

I did not find Matthias PRZYBILA amongst the passengers departing Hamburg 1866 to 1869.
Is there another relative she could have been travelling with?
Religion it would be my Guess the she was Lutheran.
There is, with my list, no way of telling if there was a religious link between Passengers however all my Ancestors from Preussen were Lutheran.
Have you any Information on Carolyn in Australia as it may give an Idea to religion

Schwiebus is now Schiebodzin in the province of Lubruskie,Poland it is just up from where my some of my Ancestors come from 1 year before Caroline.
Graham

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 7:07AM GMT
Surnames: BAER
According to the marriage transcription I have, Caroline BAR [sic] aka Hedwig Caroline BAR, father Johann Friedrich BAR, married Justus Heinrich KUNOTH 20 Jul 1872 in Kapunda SA. The KUNOTH family were Lutherans. According to the death notice in newspaper Caroline KUNOTH died 9 Apr 1916 in Adelaide, usual residence Oodnadatta.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 9:24AM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2012 9:53AM GMT
Surnames: Baer
Hi Barb I guessed that Caroline was Lutheran from her first name in her home district is usually Lutheran, as Carolyn is Usually RC and Carol Evangelist, this is all deduced from my research.
I find no sign of the Kunoths departing Hamburg 1866-1869 so it is a mystery why she was travelling at 13yrs. Maybe her parents had died and maybe the Lutheran Church sponsored her passage. I'll keep looking every now and again.

Further research proved my guess wrong Caroline Kunoth was buried 10 Apr 1916 in the Catholic cemetery West terrace, Adelaide.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 9:38AM GMT
Hi Barb do you have the children of this Marriage if not do you want them.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 10:46AM GMT
I assumed she was lutheran too. Eduard KUNOTH arrived in Aust on the George Washington in 1846. His son Justus Heinrich married Caroline. I am pretty sure Eduard KUNOTH was lutheran but don't know about his son. Justus died 1909 in Odnadatta, Caroline died 1916 in an Adelaide Hospital but resided in Oodnadatta. It is possible that she was conveniently buried close to where she died.
I have the names of the children thanks.
Barb

Posted: 4 May 2012 6:59AM GMT
Graham,
Have 3 brothers arriving in SA, one in 1868 I think on the Cesar Godeffroy, he is Wilhelm MAHNKE.
His brothers are Diedrich and Gustav and I don't think any of them came together and came later.
Thanks.

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic