Search for content in message boards

Coomer family

Coomer family

Penelope Eldridge (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coomer
I am looking for information concerning the COOMER family of Stokes County, North Carolina. I have a great-great-great grandfather COOMER somewhere in Stokes County. Thank you,

Penelope Eldridge

Coomer family

Penny Eldridge (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Coomer
Dear Ben,

It was great to hear from you. I think we are of the same line. Here is some of what I have:

1. John Coomer, Sr. ?

2. John Coomer, Jr. ? b.1796 m. Nancy (moved to KY)

3. Ammon Coomer b.1837 m. Sarah Jones b. 1847

4. Lemuel Coomer 1871-1910 m. Nancy Bell Tabor

5. Guy Washington Coomer 1897-1963 m. Mattie Elizabeth Loy 1900-1956

6. Annie Elizabeth Coomer 1924-1974 (My mother)

Coomers in Stokes Co, NC

Posted: 15 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Dec 2001 1:12PM GMT
Surnames: Coomer, Beasley
My Coomer line also in Stokes Co., NC. William Coomer and Lucy Beasley parents of Williamson, Perrison, Benjamin, Jesse, Nancy. Children born in early 1800's in NC. Family then moved to Lee Co., Virginia. Williamson's family along with his mother Lucy remained in Lee Co., Virginia. Perrison located in Lee Co., Kentucky. Another branch of the Coomer family from Stokes Co., NC (we think Richard) appears to have located in western Kentucky around Adair Co. Hope this is of some help. My E-mail is goofy right now. But my phone number is 435-564-8169.

Rachael COOMER, b. 1821 in Stokes Co., NC

Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: COOMER, CUMBER, SINGLETON
I am researching a Rachael COOMER (or CUMBER) who was born about 1821 in Stokes Co., NC. She married Richard SINGLETON 20 Oct 1839 in Claiborne Co., TN. Rachael and Richard had the following children: David (1839 in Lee Co., VA); Nancy Ann (1840 in Hancock Co., TN); Morning A. (1842); Elizabeth (1845 in Claiborne Co., TN) and William Riley (1851 in Hancock Co., TN). Possibly another son named James M. about 1838-39 in TN.
Richard and Rachel SINGLETON show up on 1850 Hancock Co., TN, census with four children and Richard's parents, Jeremiah and Morning SINGLETON.
Rachael SINGLETON shows up in 1860 Adair County, KY, census with children; David, Nancy, Elizabeth and William. Husband Richard not listed so he has probably deceased. Could this Rachael be related to the other COOMERS who lived in Adair County, KY? Is that what drew her to Adair County prior to 1860?
Any assistance with confirming who Rachael COOMER's parents are would be greatly appreciated.

James M Coomer born Stokes Co.

Bill Coomer (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: COOMER
Researching James M Coomer born Stokes County NC between 1820 and 1825. Could be Rachael's brother? Waiting on Civil War records from NARA. One of James M's children was born in Lee Co. VA! James lived in Wayne Co. KY near Monticello until Civil War. Several related (not sure how) Coomers in Wayne County and Pulaski County KY. I am not sure who James M.'s parents were yet. Can make some guesses based on age ranges from Stokes Co. census, but that is pretty shaky. Keep in touch.

Thomas Beasley Comer

Posted: 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2003 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: Comer, Dockery, Jones, Denny
My name is Chris Miller and I don't know if this is a possible link to William Coomer and Lucy Beasley, but I am trying to find any information on the ancestors of my great-grandmother, Tommie B. Comer.

My great-grandmother (born in 1896 in Surry County, NC and died 1982 in Winston-Salem, NC) was the daughter of Thomas Beasley Comer (b.?-d.?) and Mollie (Mary) Cora Jones (b.?-1911) and their only child together. Tommie B. Comer was married to Luther Sam Abraham Dockery (born in 1896 in Surry County, NC and died 1984 in Winston-Salem, NC). My great-grandmother was named after her father. When Tommie B. Comer was young her father died, and her mother, Mollie Cora Jones Comer, was re-married to Columbus Franklin Denny.

I have no idea if Thomas is a forgotten son of William and Lucy or somewhere else in the line, but it's a possible link since his middle name is the same as Susannah's maiden name. Also, Stokes was part of Surry County at one time.

Chris

Re: Coomer family

Posted: 2 Jun 2002 11:04PM GMT
HI my name is Stanley Coomer I think we are related my dads name is Paul Coomer his dads name was Guy Washington Coomer who was in your line. I have been trying to research my line for several years if you have any information please email me at slcoomer@yahoo.com

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: COOMER, WILSON, YARBERRY, WHEELER, GARMON.
Penny,

I have JOHN COOMER, b. 1796, Stokes Co., NC. He married NANCY UNKNOWN. She was born 1803.

Children of JOHN COOMER and NANCY UNKNOWN are:
i. VILETTA COOMER born 1823
ii. AMON COOMER born 1825
iii. MARY ANN COOMER born 1830
JAMES HEWITT born 1945. grandson
MARY ANN born 1846 granddaughter
GEORGE A. born 1849 VA.
Do you have more on this family? I am willing to share.

Re: Coomers in Stokes Co, NC

Posted: 2 Feb 2004 6:37AM GMT
Surnames: Reed, Palmer, Crabtree, Steele, Coomer, Raiford, Thomas
Benjamin Coomer b c 1812, m. Susan Palmer (Parmer) b c 1814, in Stokes Co about 1830, died in Lee Co, Ky, after 1880. Would appreciate a marriage look-up. There was at least one other marriage of Coomer - Palmer.

Posted: 17 May 2009 5:14AM GMT
Just wondering if you know if the Viletta Coomer, you have listed is Mother to Nelson Coomer of Adair County,KY. I have found a Vietta on an Adair County Census,but it lists no husband. Have read rumors that she was never married but had 6 children. My mother in law is a Coomer and I am trying to work out her family tree for her. I would be grateful for any help...thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic