Search for content in message boards

Carders

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to help someone, who is researching his family tree, his family name is 'Carder' The family come from Somerset.UK, originally, but have moved to London, West Ham, later on.
I have managed to find some of them for him, but wondered if anyone else is also researching this family.
Thanks for your time.

Re: Carder

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 9:04AM GMT
Surnames: Carder
Hello,
The Carder's are my mother's branch of the family for which I have the family line back to around 1450, but I don't think I can help your query.

Around 1500 there were two distinct branches of the Carder family in England. My branch are from the East, primarily from Wethersfield in north Essex and, from 1596 onwards, also found in south Cambridgeshire, mainly around the village of Ickleton. This branch I have fully explored as far as the medieval records will allow.

The other branch of the Carder family came from the south-west, from Devon and Somerset, and they seem to have originated from the Okehampton area but I have not done any further investigation. It is possible that the two families were linked at an earlier time, say before 1550 when most of the local records began. On the other hand, the name Carder is a professional name - one who cards wool (carding with boards to prepare wool for spinning) - so there may be no connection.

I probably haven't helped you much but if you find any link to the east of England in your researches please let me know.
Best regards,
Paul

Re: Carder

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 9:38AM GMT
Hello Paul,
Thank you for your reply. I certainly will get the person who is researching his line, to let you know, if there are any connections, I do know that, I as said before, he is now researching some that came from West Ham, although I am not sure where they fit in, I might just forward your message to him, and he can take it from there.
In the meantime if I, myself come across any link I will get back to you.
Thanks again.
Thanks again.

Re: Carders

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 4:45PM GMT
my family come from teignmouth devon my gg grandfather was a charles moore carder his siblings were hannah ,mary ann,thomas snow,and george hatt carder thier parents were thomas carder and mary nott thomas was a cabinet maker ,charles ended up in liverpool in 1857 he sailed on the captain cook ship that docked in liverpool here he married a emma baker from london and settled in liverpool one of thier many children thomas carder is my great grandfather, this branch of carders remain in liverpol .many regards donna carder xx

Re: Carders

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: carder
i,m a carder living in liverpool but my G.G grandfather was a charles moore carder born 1828ish west tiegnmouth devon , his father was a thomas carder poss born in barnstaple devon , not sure if there is a connection ? donna carder xx
Posted: 5 Jun 2013 4:31AM GMT
Hi, sorry but I have no connections with Thomas Carder
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions