Search for content in message boards

I think my Great Gran lied about her name?

I think my Great Gran lied about her name?

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 3:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robeson,Britton,Kohal,Emery,Zunino
When I started my tree I interviewed my family and was told that my great grandmother's name was Laura Botton,that's all they knew.For years I searched and finally I found her on the 1900 census in Montana,1st I wasn't able to find her or her husband because the surname was recorded incorrectly,(ROLENSON instead of Robeson)then I see that she states to the census taker that she thinks she was born around 1862,then it says she does not know who her parents are and that she was in the foundling asylum of New York.Then my grandma (her daughter) is interviewed and by an author writing about the early pioneers of Montana that her mom born abt 1862 Kankakee,Illinois.So now I have conflicting place names and dates,becasue also in the interview my grandma says that her mom came to Montana a young woman of 28 which means she met and married my great grandfather all in the same year,that I can understand,but I have searched every which way I know and can find nothing.I have been unable to place her anywhere with anyone at all.Laura Ellsworth Britton just pops up in Montana and marries Daniel M Robeson,an early pioneer of Montana.Also stated in the interview by my grandma that Laura comes to Montana with a Miss Mary J Clark from Indiana later Mrs M M McDonald,if I estimate from 1862 that puts Laura and Mary coming to Montana in about 1890,but I have been told that Mary Clark McDonald was in Montana way before 1890.I have search her name upside down,different years,etc and still nothing.What I do know is Laura is buried in Nye Cemetery in Fishtail,Montana,she died Nov of 1901,and yet again the person who holds the records for that cemetery looked and that all it says!!I have even spoken to the ancestor (son) of the man who bought Daniel Robeson farm in 1913 and he confirmed that indeed he heard stories of Laura and Daniel,but he didn't know anything more.My grandama,Jessie M Robeson was born in red Lodge in 1893 but yet again her birth record was destroyed in a fire and she had to get help with her mother's vital statistics,I was told that Jessie wrote to someone in Illinois for the information and she received whatever info she needed.All this took place in the early 1960's.My grandma has passed on many years ago and I never really knew her because I was still quite small when she died and her estate was taken care of by her daughter.That daughter states that my grandma had nothing in her home,no pictures or letters,nothing.I really find that hard to believe but Im not going to argue with her about it.And I definely know I do not have enough info to even consider writing the foundling asylum hospital yet and I am at a loss at what to try next,but there is no Laura Ellswoth Britton,and no Laura Britton that even gets close to mine.And yes I know you just don't type in a name and get a result,but I have been at this a long time.There was one other thing on that census,there was a young man named Vernon Valentine Emery born 14 Feb 1887 in Polk County Nebraska and he is listed as nephew to the head of the household.As far as I know the Emery name isn't in our family,I don't know where he came from.I have researched him as well hoping to make some kind of connection but I cannot find it.I am not sure if he is nephew to Daniel or to Laura.After 1900 Vernon V Emery is in the 1910 census in California with a Charles and Hattie Emery and a William Emery,then he marries Annie Zunino born 1904 Idaho, and they are in 1920 and 1930.Vernon V Emery is in both wars and then he dies in Washington County,Oregon in 1977 and is buried in the Golden Gate Cemetery with his wife Annie.Vernon and annie do have 2 daughters Florrence and Dorothay. On Veron V Emery's census for 1920 and 1930 he doesn't seem to know where his father is from and I still haven't figured out exactly who his mother is,and why he was at my great grandfathers home in 1900,no one in my family even recognizes the name at all.I have even tried finding Florrence and or Dorothay but couldn't.There was one other thing I just recently found in the news paper section from Illinois,it was about the Springfeild Home For The Friendless and it talks about how the home got started and who the first matron was for that home,a Mrs Nancy J Britton.My problem is the names are common so I don't know if Im looking a the right people or not and Britton is Nancy's married name.I do know she does become a widow at some point and I can also find her in the directory but not on a census.And that she had 2 children.So what Im asking does anyone have any advice at what I should try next??

Re: I think my Great Gran lied about her name?

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 8:55PM GMT
Wow!

You have done so much already. Have you posted queries to the RootsWeb mailing lists for all the locations and for all the surnames involved?

It would be helpful to the reader (and maybe for you too) if the information was presented in a timeline.

If you don't object, I'd like to share your problem with my local society. Someone there may have ideas about what you might have missed and suggestions on what to try next.

Rel@ively,
Patrice

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Britton,Robeson,Kohal,Emery
Yes I am so irritated and at a loss and my aunts and uncles are of no help and they claim to know nothing.I just cannot believe that when my gramma Jessie died she didn't have a thing in her home cards,letters, birth certificate (one that she had to supposedly write to Illinois to get info for) and my uncle says that his mom at one time wrote down all this stuff for him when he entered the navy,and he doesn't know what happened to it.My aunt is the one that payed for my gramma's buriel and took care of her estate after she died says she knows nothing and has nothing,but then her brother,my uncle told me she had the books I am talking about that belonged to my gramma,they were given to gramma by Jim Annin himself.My gramma Jessie and Jim Annin went to school together.These books are what busted open some of this new information otherwise I'd still be looking for a LAURA BOTTON.But I had to send for them through a inter library loan out of the state of Washington.I don't think Im supposed to say what the books are called on here,but they are quite popular in Montana and for the early pioneer families.Enough clues for the books I am speaking of I hope.I went and read them again and it says that Laura was 26 years old when she came to Montana and the woman she supposedly came with was 28 and born in 1850,so they conflict because I was told by a researcher on Mary's family that she came to Montana very early,I am estimating abt 1878.So Iam not sure who is correct.I cannot get a great deal of records because the fire in Montana that destroyed a depository that held them,hence why my gramma had to write to a supposed aunt back in Illinois,this taking place sometime in the 1960's.The thing is that the dates fit if Laura was born in 1852.and it would make the two woman close in age and friendship.And Mary Clark's parents are from New York,her father for sure conflicting states on her mother (Indiana).I have tried to find a researcher on Mary and Malcolm McDonald but I believe the tree is private,and every time I try to ask questions I get drilled about my ancestry,Am I even related to Laura.I feel like they think I am just trying to have orphan great grandmother.I even have put the attatchment of the census up and they drill me about Robeson and Rolenson. I just want to know who I am and where I came from,a sense of pride and knowing of my family by doing this.I am so tired of getting people questioning me.I know that Dan Rolenson is Daniel Robeson,my gramma is right there on that census.Jessie I know about. The surprise was about Laura and this Valentine Emery.Laura Ellsworth Britton born abt 1862 New York.Then the next event is 1891 in Montana,Laura marries Daniel Monroe Robeson.April 1893 Jessie may Robeson is born.1901 Laura dies and is buried in Nye Cemetery in Nye,Montana.The cemetery is right next to the Little Rock Creek Ranch where she lived with Daniel and my gramma Jessie.I even have xerox pictures of the ranch sent to me by the now owner.I have even spoken to the to the son of the man who bought that ranch in 1913 Fred Kirch.His son even told me about how my gramma Jessie was mistreated by my great grandpa's 2nd wife Hattie Wells,and there are stories where Hattie tried to kill my gramma,and hattie even sent her to boarding school to get rid of her and my gramma wrote a letter to her Dad saying that if he didn't come get her she'd run away.Hattie also takes my great grandpa for every penny he had and he dies a track watchmen working for the Great Northern Railway at the age of 65.The worst part is I can't find his resting place because Hattie buried him somewhere and no one knows where.My family has looked.Mr Kirch also said it was nothing to see Daniel Robeson have a 50,000 check on his desk in his study.Daniel Robeson was a sheep rancher and did very well.My gramma got nothing,and it took her 20 years to catch up to Hattie.Hattie Wells is also in those books.What I am thinking is that back then being an orphan from New York wasn't something you advertised,and maybe my Laura wasn't so proud of it and totally reinvented a name and all because I cannot find even a clue for her before 1900,except knowing full well she is Jessie Robeson's mom and Daniel Robeson's wife and that comes from my family.There's even a picture of Daniel and Laura Robeson in the books,so I know she existed but she's like a ghost.I know for a fact I don't have enough information to even consider writing the Foundling yet.Im just waiting,I have even joined the site just so when I do I can write them.

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 10:50PM GMT
I didn't realize your user name had changed... I (finally) responded to your query about Daniel. Did you get his death certificate?

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.mon...

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 11:10PM GMT
This doesn't really help much, but did you know the death date on her memorial at Find A Grave says 1920? If you know it was 1901, you might ask the submitter to edit it.

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 11:11PM GMT
This doesn't really help much, but did you know the death date on her memorial at Find A Grave says 1920? If you know it was 1901, you might ask the submitter to edit it.

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 1:33AM GMT
Is it possible that if Jessie had to send to IL for information, she has a delayed birth certificate filed in the county? I know some of my kin had delayed birth certificates, but they also had a certified letter in order to be able to vote, so the local courthouse had some vital info even though it wasn't an actual birth certificate.

I'm confused. Laura is indicated as having been born in both NY and IL? Or are they indicating she was in the Foundling Hospital in NY and came on an orphan train to Kankakee Co., IL?

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 4:20PM GMT
I do not know!!I have searched this woman high and low and the only record I can find is the 1900 census in Montana,I cannot find her before that anywhere.I have searched Illinois like crazy and nothing.There is a Laura Britton born about the right time but she doesn't seem to fit and no one can tell me anything about her,but she has a Mom,mine does not.Laura says she never knew her parents.The other Laura I traced, her father George Washington Britton and her Mother Eliza Mallory.There one in Michigan but she has parents and so on...

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 11:58PM GMT
To be honest with I do not know,the info on Laura being born in Kankakee,Illinois is from a book written by Jim Annin written about the early pioneers of Montana and it was given by Jessie Robeson and she was a childhood friend of Mr Annin as well.The New York connection came in when I found the misspelling of my great grandfather Daniel,Laura's husband and her and Jessie in Montana.As far as the delayed birth certificate are you meaning in Montana or Illinois?I do not even have Laura's actual birth date.All I know is she came from Kankakee.

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 12:58AM GMT
I was saying try to get Jessie's birth certificate if she entered a delayed after her's got destroyed. If she had to write to IL to get the info on her mom, chances are she put it on her delayed bc (if she has one). Then at least you should know a good location to start.

I saw the note for Laura in 1900... luckily you can read it, because I gathered a friend was giving the info and didn't know about Laura's parents! There is a book out about the Foundling Hospital and it claims to include censuses. Have you seen it/had a lookup? There were some terribly heartbreaking letters they have on their website.

If the Mary J. Clark you have in Lake Co., IN in 1870 is the right one (living with Harriet and J.O.), she is listed in that census as being 31... I'm beginning to wonder if she really was older than anyone previously thought and maybe she is the mother of Laura Britton. That might also explain why the Clark folks don't want to talk about her with you. Maybe Mary told your Jessie something after Laura died, that's why Jessie knows Laura was from Kankakee, IL, but Laura didn't. I don't know. I'm guessing. I just don't understand how a girl who's supposed to be 20 is listed (clearly) at 31. Unless of course I picked the wrong Harriet, J.O. and Mary Clark in Lake Co., IN for 1870.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic