Search for content in message boards

RICHARD WILLIS

RICHARD WILLIS

jean duncan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIS
Richard Willis m Nancy Wier/Weir in Pittsylvania Co VA 15 Oct 1806. They had 3 daughters: Sarah b 1809; Martha b 1810, m. James Madison Sutherlin/land, and Lucinda, b 1812. Richard died in 1826 and Armsted Wier, brother of Nancy, was named guardian of the girls. Can anyone give me any information about any of these people? Thank you in advance. jean duncan

Re: RICHARD WILLIS

Posted: 6 Feb 2008 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Willis Wier Allen Baxter Sutherlin Barnett Burton Beachum
Hi - I have some additional data for you concerning this Richard Willis Jr. who mar. Nancy Wier. They are ancestors of mine, and I have been finding bits and pieces of info on them recently. It may require some adjustments to your existing data - you can decide. All the data below requires verification.

First, Richard Willis apparently died 19 Jul 1813, and his will was probated Sep 1813 in Spartanburg Co. SC (I know it's district, but I am using county in all my records just to simplify things). I have seen death dates of 1836, 1826, and 16 Nov 1816 for him, but if the probate was Sep 1813, then he certainly died before then. I haven't seen the probate records myself. Some of the data concerning guardianship of his 3 daughters is in Pittsylvania Co. VA records, as that's where his wife was from, and her brother Armistead Grief Wier was their guardian, at least for some of the time before they married. After Richard died, I lose track of his wife - maybe she moved back to Pittsylvania Co. VA after her husband died, maybe remarried. I have seen the year of their marriage as 1807 instead of 1806, so am not sure which is correct - the orig. record should be consulted to break the tie.

I have Richard Willis Jr. as the son of Richard Willis Sr. (1746-1837) and Drucilla Pearson Barnett (1755-1845) of Spartanburg Co. SC. There is much on them in various places. The disagreements over the death date of Richard Jr. may have resulted from confusing him with other of the same name, including his father.

Richard's wife Nancy Wier was the son of John Wier b. 12 Jun 1754 Cumberland Co. NC, d. 22 Jun 1839 Pittsylvania Co. VA, and Sarah Burton b. 27 Apr 1762 Louisa Co. VA, d. 6 May 1836 Pittsylvania Co. VA, mar. 7 Apr 1778. You probably already had this data.

Richard's daughter Sarah - she was b. 11 Mar 1810, the date from the Bible of her 2nd husband Joseph Allen. However, her tombstone says d. 7 Oct 1888 age 78y 7m 28d, so b. 7 Feb 1810. I'm using the Bible date, which is more likely to be correct. This Bible also says that Sarah had a son Robert Baxter b. 10 Dec 1827, but doesn't name her first husband. I think it might be John Baxter, as there is a marriage Sarah Willis to John Baxter 13 Feb 1827 in Pittsylvania Co. VA. If this is the same couple, then John Baxter d. betw. Mar 1827 (when Robert was conceived - he may have been a posthumous child) and 9 Jan 1835 when Sarah (Willis) Baxter married Joseph Allen (this 1835 marriage date is also from the Bible; they were probably married in Spartanburg Co. SC, because they didn't move to Itawamba Co. MS until about 1843. Sarah had 7 ch. by Joseph Allen. Joseph and Sarah are buried in the Old Mackey's Creek Baptist Church cem. in Itawamba Co. MS; I have seen their tombstones.

Richard's daughter Martha was b. 1 Nov 1810 Pittsylvania Co. VA, perhaps in Danville, but the town may be someone's guess based on where the parents were married; maybe there are some land or tax records which would place them somewhere in late 1810 (about the time of the census). You will notice that Martha's birthdate conflicts with her sister's birthdate of 11 Mar 1810, which tells me that either Sarah was actually born on 7 Feb 1810, or the birthdate of Martha or Sarah is wrong altogether. Martha mar. bef 1831 James Madison Sutherlin (Southerlin/Southerland/etc.), probably in Pittsylvania Co. VA, and had 10 children b. in VA, SC, and MS; Sutherlin had moved to SC by 1841; note a 15 Jan 1842 letter written by Joseph Allen of Spartanburg Co. SC states "My brother-in-law James M. Sutherlin has got this fur from Virginia and is awanting for me to sell and will stay till next fall for me." The Sutherlin family did move to MS before 1845 and are living in Tishomingo Co. MS in 1850 (1850 census Tish. Co. MS, northern div., no. 683: J. M. Southerland 43 (42?) VA, Martha 38 VA, Ann 19 VA, Francis 17 f VA, James 14 VA, Martha 13 VA, Emily 9 SC, Pochahontas 5 f MS, Mary 3 MS - note that Martha is 38 here, so b. 1811-1812, not 1810, but the age could be wrong). James Sutherlin apparently went on to TX (where many of his MS relatives also moved at various times between the end of the CW and 1900), and d. 3 Feb 1893 Blum, Hill Co. TX. Many Allen, Beachum, and Rogers relatives also moved to Hill Co. TX. James Sutherlin was b. 28 Jun 1809 Pittsylvania Co. VA, and these exact dates may suggest that his tombstone is still up and readable in TX - I haven't looked for a cemetery record, nor do I know where/when his wife Martha died and was buried.

Richard's 3rd daughter Lucinda - she was b. ca. 1812. She may be the same as the Lucinda Willis b. ca. 1813 Anderson dist. SC, d. Jan 1888 Smith Co. TX (also seen as b. 15 Jun 1814, d. 27 Jun 1882, bur. Swan, Smith Co. TX) who was mar. 15 Jul 1834 Anderson dist. SC to Aaron Stuart Smith (b. 5 Apr 1810 Laurens Co. SC, d. Jul 1861 Smith Co. TX, son of Samuel L. Smith and Mary Harlan), 9 ch. However, some sources may have this Lucinda as dau. of an Edward Willis - this Edward may be Edward H. (1794-1848), the brother of Richard Jr., which I would doubt because Edward H. lived in Spartanburg Co. SC, not VA where Martha was born, he had no dau. Lucinda that I know of, and his first ch. was born 1814 (or maybe there's a different Edward). I haven't looked for the Aaron Smith family in the 1850 census of MS, etc..

I would love to get data on Lucinda from someone who knows the details, and would also like to know when/where Martha (Willis) Sutherlin died.

Posted: 2 May 2010 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Willis Wier Barnett Sutherlin Allen
Here's a belated followup on Lucinda Willis, dau. of Richard Willis Jr. and Nancy Wier. I do not believe their dau. Lucinda married Aaron Stuart Smith. Some sources say that Aaron Smith's wife Lucinda Willis is a dau. of Edward Willis, and that her mar. record in SC confirms it; other data concerning Aaron Smith states that he mar. Lucinda ca. 1833 in Anderson dist. SC and that she was an only child raised by her grandmother Jones (Some Biographies of Old Settlers Historical, Personal and Reminiscent" by Sid S. Johnson, pub. Sid S. Johnson, Tyler, TX (1900), v. I, ch. XIII, pp. 67-72). The actual mar. date of Aaron Smith and this Lucinda Willis was 15 Jul 1834 in Anderson dist. SC.

I now suspect that the dau. of Richard Willis Jr. is the same as Lucinda Willis who mar. James H. Barnett 11 Sep 1832 in Pittsylvania Co. VA, and that this couple is enumerated in the 1850 census of Tishomingo Co. MS, s. div., no. 380: James H. Barnett 39 VA wagonmaker, Lucinda Barnett 38 SC, Elizabeth (Brunston/Braselton? can't read) 60 SC. Lucinda's sister Martha and husband James M. Sutherlin were also mar. in Pittsylvania Co. VA (on 18 Feb 1830) and are also in 1850 census Tishomingo Co. MS, n. div., no. 683: J. M. Southerland 43 (42?) VA, Martha 38 VA, Ann 19 VA, Francis 17 f VA, James 14 VA, Martha 13 VA, Emily 9 SC, Pochahontas 5 f MS, Mary 3 MS. Although both Lucinda and Martha are age 38 in the 1850 census, I believe Martha is the older, probably b. late 1810 or 1811, and Lucinda b. shortly after, probably 1812 or 1813 (Richard Willis Jr. d. 19 Jul 1813 in Spartanburg Co. SC and his will probated 20 Sep 1813). I have a bdate of 1 Nov 1810 for Martha, but no source noted.

Martha and James M. Sutherlin were in 1870 census of Prentiss Co. MS, then moved to Hill Co. TX; James d. 11 Apr 1880, age 70y 9m 17d, and is bur. in the Dodson cem., Hill Co. TX, so perhaps Martha's 1810 bdate is from a stone in the same cem. Even so, the 1810 date is questionable, since the oldest daughter Sarah Willis' bdate is given as 11 Mar 1810 (Bible of her 2nd husband Joseph Allen) or 7 Feb 1810 (calculated from tombstone - d. 7 Oct 1888, age 78y 7m 28d), so tends to conflict with a Nov 1810 bdate for Martha.

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Weir Wier
I am related to another branch of this Weir family who also moved to Hill County, but arrived in the following manner:

Pittsylvania Co., VA to Spartanburg Co., SC to Sumner Co., TN to Union and Hopkins Co, KY to Clark Co., AR to Hill Co, TX.

It is interesting that these two branches ended up there. They must have kept up some family communication through the years that led them to Hill County, My ancestor is William Weir, brother to John Weir and Uncle to Armistead Weir. I have a public tree on Ancestry.com that you can peruse to see the connections that I have made. It is called Weir Family Tree.

Please feel free to contact me to exchange information.

Alison

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 8:13PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Willis, Wier
I have a copy of the marriage bond of Richard Willis and Nancy Wier, obtained from the Pittsylvania County Courthouse. It is dated the 15th day of October, 1807. Bezaleel Wier's name is listed in the bond with Richard Willis, and both of them sign at the bottom of the document. Nancy is listed as Nancy Wier, daughter of John Wier, although it may be spelled Wire in both cases. I will try to attach a picture of the bond.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic