Search for content in message boards

Mikel/Michel Schneider from Uhlweiller, Bas-Rhin, Alsace France

Mikel/Michel Schneider from Uhlweiller, Bas-Rhin, Alsace France

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 5:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schneider
Hi, I am looking for my great grandfather's birth and parents. His birth is 9 March 1855, and his mother was the Mayor's daughter.
He came over to the U.S. in either 1872 or 1876.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Mikel/Michel Schneider from Uhlweiller, Bas-Rhin, Alsace France

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 7:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schneider, Ciqui
A Michael Schneider was indeed born in Uhlwiller on March 9, 1855 to Michael Schneider and Anna Ciqui. They were married Jan 27, 1854 in Uhlwiller. You can look at his birth record and their marriage record as well as many other records concerning this family for free at: http://etat-civil.bas-rhin.fr/adeloch/index.php

The website is in French but it isn't too hard to figure out how to find what you want (the amount of French I know could fit in a thimble). Use a French/English dictionary for what you cannot figure out. However, some records are in German gothic handwriting which does take some expertise to read. If they were Catholic the Catholic Church records from before 1793 are in French and Latin from what I can tell.

BTW I used the spelling of Michael and Anna based on their signatures on their marriage record which are in German gothic writing indicating they spoke German.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic