Search for content in message boards

Military records

Military records

Posted: 17 May 2002 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2003 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Munson.Dowling.Manifold
Seeking information please ,is it possible to gain access to the records of the Royal Hibernian Military School Dublin.?My Grandfather C.E.Munson attended the School as a Pupil Teacher in 1878.
Bob Munson.

Royal Hibernian Military School.

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 9 Oct 2003 8:00AM GMT
Surnames: MUNSON C E
Royal Hibernian Military School
CE MUNSON
WO143-27 Boys alphabetical Index
page M 13. position 31
On page 56 of the original Admissions Ledger, now lost.
Class 2 Father dead Mother alive
Petition No, 2059
Father's Regiment 44th Regt of Foot
Appointed Pupil Teacher 25 Jan 1886

Any further details appreciated
Peter

Re: Royal Hibernian Military School.

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 10:38AM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2005 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Charles Ernest Munson
Hello Peter ,Thank you for your enquiry.I have very little information that relates to my grandfathers time at the Royal Hibernian Military School.but I do have a record of his long Army career.from his time in Ireland untill his death in Essex in 1947.I will let you have the details by way of attachments, if it is of interest. Are you researching the history of the Royal Hibernian.?
Bob Munson.

peter_goble (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2003 10:52AM GMT
Hello Bob,
Considering the time interval between your posting, and me replying, the speed of your answer is supersonic.

We are trying to re assemble an admissions ledger from the only source left, the alphabetic index. Fortunately, the information, tho sparse, has proved to be ideal for the project.
And, already, a pseudo format is beginning to take shape.

It will provide a link between the Hibernian boys and the Regiments of their fathers, a direct line to further research via the muster rolls.

Any information is welcome, as we are trying to add a tail piece to all those entered into the ledger.
If you trawl the net for DYRMS, or Duke of York's Royal Military School. there is a segment on the RHMS.
Thanks for your speedy response.
Peter

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Parkes
Hi I am also interested in trying to trace any info on my husband's grandfather William George Parkes B.1911 Dublin. He went to the military school after his father Private William Edward Parkes (GS/11948) 2nd Dragoons Royal Scots Greys, died in 1915 in a Yorkshire hospital, following battle injuries incurred in France, buried in York Cemetery. His mother was caled Florence Nee Hollinshead.

At the time of William George Parkes birth they were living at 27 Daniel Street, Dublin. Baptised at St Kevin Church, Dublin.

His mother Florence, went on to remarry so I have been told and William George Parkes was sent to a military school and transferred to Kent area when they merged (?) at a young age. Most grateful for any information, we don't know a great deal about this side of the family, as William George Parkes stayed over here and spent the rest of his life here in South West of England. Many thanks

Re: Military records

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: Clover
i am also researching my family history and trying to get more information on my Great-Grandfather, Frederick William Clover, who was Headmaster at RHMS in 1911 according to the Irish Census. I have no records of him beyond this time. Can you help? He was also President of the Hockey and Cricket teams in 1910, 11

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Gibney
Hello Peter,
A long shot I know as your post was getting on for nine years ago ! I've just come across it as I'm trying to find out when my grandfather Frederick Jesse Gibney joined and how long he was there. I have his signing on papers for the Royal Field Artillery, aged 14 years and nine months dated 13th June 1892. As you probably know, one question on the document is ' have you lived away from your father for more than three years?' and the answer is given ' Yes, at the Royal Hiberian Military School'. Whilst my grandfather was born in Sussex, his father James William Gibney, also a soldier, was born in Ireland but died in 1880 aged thirty eight when Frederick was only three. If you can be of any help I'd be very grateful ! Many thanks, Geoff Collinge
per page

Find a board about a specific topic