Search for content in message boards

Willis/Civil War

Willis/Civil War

Posted: 3 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Lyon, Maxon, Segar, Black
We were at the Murfreesboro/Stones River Battlefield, TN & found the stone for a D. Willis from Indiana buried near the Hazen Monument. Does anyone know anything about this young man who died during this battle Dec. 31, 1862- Jan 2, 1863? I descend from Willis family from PA, OH, IA.

Re: Willis/Civil War

Joe Archer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2001 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: WILLIS
I don't know anything about the "D.Willis" you mentioned. But, which WILLIS family in Iowa are you descended from? I am descended from Thomas/Margaret, through their sone James Scott, via his son Emmett Scott, who is my was my grandfather. I am trying to find more relatives in order to piece the family history together. If this is your line also, I do have some info on a couple of brothers who foought in the Civil War.

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 1:03AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Skinner, Stenger, Lyon
I descend from Robert & Sarah Gibson Willis(Robt) 1750-1830-Scotland, PA, OH; Wm. & Elizabeth Skinner Willis B. OH; lived inOH-he is buried in Louisa Co., IA; Robert & Louisa Stenger Willis-B. OH, Died Hamilton Co, IA; their daughter Mary Elizabeth Willis B. OH-married Jotham Lyon in IA, buried Hamilton Co, IA. All of Louisa Stenger Willis' sisters & most of Robert's siblings moved to IA along with Wm. Willis' brother James & wife Eliza Skinner-they all stayed in S.E. Iowa. Hope we have a connection.

Joe Archer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2001 1:22AM GMT
I was hoping for a connection, too, but I don't think we have one. I am descended from Thomas & Margaret WILLIS. They lived in Warren Co. Iowa after moving there from Indiana. He was from Maryland originally and she was born in Ohio.

Ginny Moore (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2002 6:27AM GMT
My great great grandfather, Thomas Willis, born 1810 in MD, had a son Thomas Willis, b. 1839, who went off to the Civil War and never came back to MD. Wondering if you have more info on your Thomas's dates?

Joe Archer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2002 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Willis
Giny, I believe that we are talking about the same Willis, as my ggg-grandfather Thomas Willis was born in Md. in eiher 1808 or 1810. (One of my Aunts says she remembers her grandad talking about Thomas being born in England, but so far, Maryland looks correct. Send me your e-mail (I'm at
jarcher@ez2.net ) and I will send you what I have. Nice to meet you cousin! p.s. One of the Willis' was killed in the Civil War and Thomas fought and survived. He served in Co. F, 39th Reg't. Iowa Vol. Inf. There are 2 other units mentioned, but one of those is definately a different Thomas Willis. I have a photo of Thomas (the veteran) and his family. If you want a copy, contact me. See ya, cuz. Joe Archer

Ginny Moore (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2002 5:54AM GMT
MyThomas Willis who was in the civil war was son of Thomas Willis born in 1810 in MD. This Thomas was born after 1835. There was a Thomas Willis, born about 1809 in Caroline County, MD ,brother of John, Martin and Elizabeth, who was orphaned early. I haven't determined if he was my ancestor or went elsewhere. All I know is he was a ward of Seth Carmean in 1823 when he was 13. His brother Martin died in Talbot Co. MD.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic