Search for content in message boards

HERRIN, Elijah NC>GA>AL 1782-1850

HERRIN, Elijah NC>GA>AL 1782-1850

Posted: 24 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2001 1:54AM GMT
1. ELIJAH2 HERRIN (EDWARD1) was born 1782 in North Carolina, and died March 1850 in Marshall County, Alabama. He married ELIZABETH GRAY, daughter of JOHN GRAY and JUDITH (GRAY). She was born 1782 in South Carolina.

i. DANIEL BYRD3 HERRIN, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810, Spartanburg County or Pendleton County, South Carolina; d. July 14, 1845, Marshall County, Alabama; m. MARY PRESNELL, February 22, 1826, Hall County, Georgia; b. 1802, Kings Mountain, Newberry County, South Carolina.

ii. CHARLES GRANDISON HERRIN, b. Abt. 1808, South Carolina; d. Abt. 1849, Hall County, Georgia; m. TALITHA C. BRADLEY, Abt. 1828; b. September 23, 1808, Greenville County, South Carolina; d. June 30, 1895, Grayson County, Texas.

iii. CURTIS HERRIN, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810, South Carolina; d. Bet. 1845 - 1850, Marshall County, Alabama; m. (1) NANCY BOWLIN; b. Bet. 1810 - 1815; m. (2) MARTHA ANN COOPER, Bet. 1834 - 1835; b. Bet. 1814 - 1818, South Carolina.

v. MILBERRY/MILBREY/MAYBERRY F. HERRIN, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810; m. WILLIAM S. MILLER, January 9, 1825, Hall County, Georgia.

vi. LOVICEY HERRIN, b. 1810, South Carolina; m. ELIJAH PINSON, August 21, 1825, Hall County, Georgia; b. 1805, South Carolina; d. 1853, Pine Log Creek, Cass County, Georgia.

viii. JAMES A. HERRIN, b. 1820, South Carolina; m. (1) CORY ANN CLAPP, December 25, 1838, Marshall County, Alabama; b. Bet. 1825 - 1830; m. (2) HESTER ANN LANIER, July 15, 1851, Madison County, Alabama.

Nadine Smith (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT

I wonder if your Elijah HERRIN line is the same as my William P. HERRING line. There seem to be some similarities. William P. HERRING was born in GA, in 1831, county unknown. I haven't been able to find his parents but have found a Squire HERRON / HERRING / HERIN who married Lucinda FOWLER in Hall Co., GA in Oct., 1830. Both William P. HERRING & Squire HERRON / HERRING / HERIN migrated to AL (Squire to Lauderdale Co. (1850 census) & William P. to Lawrence & Fayette counties). The 1850 Lauderdale Co., AL census lists children in Squire HERRON / HERRING / HERIN's household whose names & birthdates fit the siblings of William P. HERRING. William P. HERRING & his siblings were named heirs at law in a Lauderdale Co., AL document settling the estate of John T. FOWLER, administered by John GRAY / GRACY. I wonder if this John GRAY / GRACY may have been related to Elizabeth GRAY, wife of Elijah HERRIN? Please let me know what you think. If you have any information on Squire HERRON / HERRING / HERIN or William P. HERRING, please email me. I will be happy to share what information I have if you are interested.

Re: HERRIN, Elijah NC>GA>AL 1782-1850

Jill Herrin (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2006 6:24AM GMT
Surnames: Herrin, Cobb, Glover, Moon, Worley, Williams, Renfroe
Brick wall, on a similar name that I need assistance.
Charles/ Charley/ Charly, Williamwesley/ William Wesley- Herrin, b. about 1847, d. 1937, lifelong resident of Madison County, AL, in the Big Cove, New Hope, Owens Cross Roads areas. Married Nancy Ann Worley in Dec. 1869. She was also lifelong resident of Madison Co., AL.
The old story is of 3 sons from the 'Old Country' that stopped in Huntsville, AL area for a time while one of them was sick, which was Charley. The other 2 went onto TX and LA.
I thought that was the correct story, because I found where other family members - cousins, etc. drifted toward that direction.
Their child my husband descended from is William Wesley Herrin b. 1887 - d. 1956. His youngest son, Joe Haden Herrin, b. 1927, d. 2000, was my husband's dad, who was the youngest of four children, all boys.
The story he gave me was the 3 brothers one, but it finally had a twist that I did not catch onto even after hearing it for all these years - there was still family in the Atlanta GA all these years. When the World's Fair was in Atlanta GA, Charley went to visit his brother. He came back, but never said anything except that he went there, and now he's back. He was not a detailing person apparently. Never would answer any questions about it the rest of his life. I finally found in one of the Censuses that Charley's father was born in GA, and his mom in AL.
I was told they came from Ireland, Virginia, SC, but GA was left out as a possibility of where he came from. Whenever I questioned the Herrin family here they said there was another branch of Herrin's here from the GA clan, but their particular one was not related. I have my doubts, but so far have not found the documentation to prove it. If I could get a DNA test run I would. This group I married into seem to split forever over just about anything. So based on temperment, I can see why they lose track of each other so easily. I have 2 girls, and they got that temperment also.
Can anybody help me with this one? I have none of his parents names, or siblings information. Thanks for any contributions you have out there.

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 10:58PM GMT
Be advised that Elijah Herrin and Charles Grandison Herrin were in Sumner and White Co.s Tennessee, respectively in the 1818 time frame. I have documentation. This is one reason that I believe that Richard Herrin of White Co. was his brother. Richard was in 1790 Rowan Co. and that's where Elijah came from.

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: McAnally/ Herrin/ Rogers
My grandmother is the daughter of John Henry Rogers and Leona Jane Eilzabeth Herrin (not sure how Herrin was actually spelled) her daddy was Will Herrin but I also run into a brick wall, dont know her mothers name not sure about anything with Will Herrin and they came from like Limestone and Blount County Alabama. I need help to.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic