Search for content in message boards

O'Connors - Please help!!

O'Connors - Please help!!

Katrina Osborne (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2006 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Connor
Hello all -

Looking for any information regarding Bartholomew O'Connor (born 1846 in Ireland) and his wife, Catherine O'Connor (maiden name Lyons, born 1854 in Canada)....Lived in Emmett, Michigan. Really wanting to find out where in Ireland Bartholomew was born in Ireland.

If anyone can help or needs more information to do so, please email me. I may not have all the info you need but I do have a little bit more than I wrote above. Also, if there are any other O'Connors out there, please don't hesitate to email... =)

Re: O'Connors - Please help!!

Sue Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2006 1:28PM GMT
From the Kenockee Cemetery Database (Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Emmett, MI):

Batholomew O'CONNOR
Tombstone: Father, 1846-1930
Death Date: 30 Sep 1930
Burial Date: 2 Oct 1930

Katherine O'CONNOR
Tombstone: Mother, 1854-1931
Death Date: 22 Apr 1931
Burial Date: 24 Apr 1931

The headstones for Bartholomew and Katherine are matching at least, possibly listed on the same stone.

Buried in the same plot

Patrick Francis O'CONNOR
Tombstone: 1895-1931
Death Date: 15 Mar 1931
Burial Date: 19 Mar 1931

The following O'CONNOR's are buried nearby (it is difficult in the older part of the cemetery to be certain where one plot begins or ends). The cemetery records held by the parish say the plot was purchased for Catherine, James and Stella.

James O'CONNOR
Tombstone: 1849-1909; Born in Co. Wexford, Ire.
Burial Date: 25 May 1909

Stella O'Connor
Tombstone: 1913-1914
Burial Date: 15 Mar 1914

Hopefully this will give you some clues. Remember this cemetery database contains some very large assumptions made by the persons who contributed!

If any of these individuals were born or married in Emmett after about 1850 I might be able to find those records. I would need more specific information for that search because there are too many O'Connor's to list them all.

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 12:55AM GMT
Thanks so much for that information. I knew they were buried there, having just went up to Emmett on Sunday and finding their graves.
I'm just dying to find out where in Ireland Bartholomew was born. Do you happen to have any access to death records at all?

thanks for your time and help
Katrina

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 2:29AM GMT
The St. Clair County death index is online:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mistcla2/index.htm

There is a Barthalamus O'Connor listed for 1930, in book 7, page 274.

Suzette

Sue Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2006 12:57PM GMT
The death records are reflected in the information I gave you previously. The database combines the tombstone inscriptions and the church's records.

The only clue would be the one from the tombstone of James O'CONNOR (i.e. born in Co. Wexford, Ire.). The cemetery records at the church (many of these records were destroyed by a fire at the sexton's house) list Katherine, Stella and James as occupants for one plot. I suspect that plot would have been purchased by Batholomew. Compare the death certificates of James and Bartholomew to see if they are brothers. Then you can look in Co. Wexford.

There are few if any references in the church records to a specific place in Ireland.

Sue Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2006 1:11PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Lyons
From the baptismal records of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel:

Batholomew O'CONNOR
Born: 27 Jan 1892
Baptized: 21 Feb 1892
Parents: Bartholomew O'CONNOR and Catherine LYONS
Godparents: Daniel & Honora O'CONNOR

If you have specific names for the rest of their children and do not have the baptismal information, let me know.

Sue Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2006 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor, Breen
I looked around a bit more and James' wife was also named Catherine. This would mean your examination of the tombstones is critical. Were the tombstones for the Catherine and Bartholomew mentioned earlier indeed the same (i.e. indicating they were the corresponding Mother and Father).

Stella is the daughter of James O'CONNOR and Catherine BREEN. This calls in to question the assumption that Bartholomew purchased the plot for Catherine, Stella and James. It is more likely that James purchased it since there is another Catherine O'CONNOR buried in nearby.

This is why I cautioned earlier about the assumptions of the database. The two families are still buried close to each other so pursuing the sibling link between Bartholomew and James is still valid.

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 1:45AM GMT
Thank you so much, again, for your help!! Awesome!!
=)

These are the other children:
John O'Connor Born 1882
Mary O'Connor Born 1884
Margaret O'Connor Born 1885
James O'Connor Born 1888
Uphrasia or Eupharsia O'Connor Born 1890
Clement O'Connor Born 1894
Patrick Francis O'Connor Born 1895

Thanks for all your help!
Katrina

Sue Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2006 12:58PM GMT
Just to clear up a couple of things about this James O'CONNOR (1849-1909). He is the grandfather of Stella O'CONNOR (1913-1914). His wife is Ellen (1844-1921).

His son James O'CONNOR (1872-1964) and wife Catherine (1876-1958) are the parents of Stella. They are also buried nearby.

The church improperly tagged the wrong Catherine as being buried in this plot or indicated Catherine when it should have been Ellen.

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 4:47PM GMT
Hi Katrina,
Bart & Catherine O'Connor were my great grandparents.
Euphrasia (Effie) married George Hyde & had 10 children. Clem O'Connor married my great aunt Carolyn Hyde. Clement had two children from his first wife, but Clem & Carrie didn't have any children together. I can get info from his 1st marriage for you. I have pictures of 6 of Bart & Catherines children if you would like me to email you copies. I have done most of my research on the Hyde's, but I can quiz my father for info on the O'Connors. Where do you live?
Rose Hyde
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions