Search for content in message boards

James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Neal, Hawkins, Rice
James Milton Neal was my ggg-grandfather. He was born in 1825 in Tennessee, d. unknown. He was married to Sylvania Turner, b. 1818 in Grainger, TN.

My 92-year-old father has now done two paternal DNA tests through ancestry. We have several "Very Closely Related" matches, but none with the Neal surname. I have had several "DNA Matches" with Native American heritage, but no specific link that I can determine. I mention this because my father has a particular interest in the possibility of Native American heritage. Several trees list Moytoy and other well-known Native Americans.

One "Third Cousin" match lists a Zachariah Neal, b. 1787, Prince Edward, Virginia, US, father Stephen and mother Priscilla Hawkins. Zachariah and his wife Rebecca Rice lived in the Beaver Pond, Virginia area. Unfortunately, one excellent source for this Neal line (Neals of Beaver Pond Virginia book by Carl Neal) is out of print, and I have not been able to get it through interlibrary loan. I do have 20 pages of the table of contents, basically a list of names and page numbers.

Dad has also tested through Family Tree DNA, and we'll have the final result of our first paternal DNA test there in about a week.

Hope to hear from anyone researching James Milton Neal who has any thoughts or help.

Diane

Re: James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 5:06AM GMT
Hello. I don't have anything useful to add to this thread, but I wanted to chime in, so that I will get the notices when you receive replies. I'm curious to learn what you find out from others. My Neal line is such a brick wall that I can't link myself to your bunch or any other, but I keep an eye on any threads that may turn up new information that could somehow connect to me.

The DNA testing may be the only way I will ever link myself to other Neals, but doesn't the DNA test require a male still carrying the name? I don't even have that, since my Neal heritage comes from a ggg-grandmother. I'm intrigued by the amazing breakthroughs in DNA research as it relates to genealogy. Would you mind sharing the approximate costs involved with the DNA testing your father has taken?

I've toyed with the possibility of Native American blood in my Neal line as well. This is mostly based on some of the physical features I've observed in photos of my Neals (darker skin, stronger jaw line in the women). Also a second cousin of my dad told me her father used to claim Native American lineage, and she thought he mentioned it being through "Estella's mother" which would have been my Neal ancestor.

Christa

Re: James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Neal
Hello Christa - yes, it does require a male with the same surname. I'm not an expert on this, however, and there may be exceptions to this such as a name change somewhere along the line.

I was really happy when I approached my dad about doing the DNA test and he was more than willing to do it. I am very hopeful that we will be able to eventually discover the parents of James Milton Neal using DNA, and any Native American heritage. We believe the NA heritage is Northern Cherokee.

The total cost so far has been about $300, but I haven't been keeping track. We will definitely be doing further testing once the FTDNA test results come in. Since we believe any Native American connection would be on his maternal side, that will probably be next.

I wish you all the best in your research.

Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions