Search for content in message boards

Immigration to Puerto Rico from India

Immigration to Puerto Rico from India

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Rarmirez
Hello,

In speaking with my grandmother I have found out that her mother's side of the family (RAMIREZ) have a oral history that states along the line somewhere (1700-1850 perhaps) we have ancestors who immigrated from India. Since I have no idea what region or anything about it..I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Maybe ports of entry if there was direct immigration to the Caribbean Islands (Specifically Puerto Rico- southern regions in particular PONCE,PR)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'd love to push this wall back a bit more and fill in some gaps on my great-grandmother's side of the family. Thank You

Re: Immigration to Puerto Rico from India

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 5:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Hi

Online LDS has a marriage see below, no births or deaths online on any of the usual sites used for India research. Looking up the marriage may show witnesses related and Church.
No birth for Catherine that fits with the birth date or in and around that date.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGNX-JMK
Groom's Name: Santiago Ramirez
Groom's Birth Date: 1840
Groom's Age: 26
Bride's Name: Catherine De Cruz
Bride's Birth Date: 1851
Bride's Age: 15
Marriage Date: 22 Jan 1866
Marriage Place: Esperanca, Bombay, India
Groom's Father's Name: Michael Ramirez
Bride's Father's Name: George De Cruz
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00204-7
System Origin: India-EASy
Source Film Number: 523925
Collection: India, Marriages, 1792-1948

Kind Regards,
Cheryl

Re: Immigration to Puerto Rico from India

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 2:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank You so much for taking the time! I'll certainly look into it and hopefully this will give me a push in the right direction :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions