Search for content in message boards

READER or REEDER family

READER or REEDER family

Don READER (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Mar 2009 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: READER, REEDER, BRIGHAM, CLARK, CLARKE, HOOTON
I have traced my READER (or REEDER) family back to the 1600's in Stainforth (parish of Hatfield),WRY beginning with a Robert REEDER and his wife Sarah (Saray). Their children included sons Robert, William, and Joseph, and daughters Susan(ne), Mary, Grace, Elizabeth and Sarah. Robert(I) died in 1708 or before. (Info from the Manor Court Rolls of Hatfield)

Robert READER(II) must have moved to Whitgift (WRY) as there is a READER marriage there to Mary HOOTON in 1724 and the following baptisms from the IGI:

Dorety dau Robert Reader bap 11 Apr 1725
Ann dau Robert Reader bap 18 Dec 1726
Robert son of Robert Reader bap 28 Jun 1730
Mary dau of Robert Reader bap 16 Apr 1732
Sarah dau of Robert Reader bapt 5 Sep 1734
Eleanor dau of Robert Reader bapt 14 mar 1739
Joseph son of Robert Reader bapt 18 Apr 1742
Thomas son of Robert Reader bapt ?? Jan 1745

Then the family moved to Blacktoft (ERY) across the River Ouse as these entries are found:

Eleanor Reader married Stephen Clark 30 May 1764
Ann Reader married George Cross 11 Dec 1764
Joseph Reader married Ryall Bayliff 20 March 1765
Mary daughter of Joseph Reader bapt 30 March 1765
Robert Reader married Grace Brigham 1 Oct 1767
Robert son of Robert Reader bapt 3 Jul 1768

All of these (except the two Marys) are mentioned in a "diary" of the daughter-in-law of Eleanor (READER) CLARK written about 1840 in Ohio,USA. Robert(III) and Grace emmigrated to Virginia by 1773, as did Eleanor and Stephen CLARK(E).

By the way, Stephen CLARK(E)'s parents are said to be John CLARK and Mary READER (daughter of Robert,I and Sarah above) which would mean that Stephen married his first cousin. I am looking for confirmation of this link

Any information on the BRIGHAM family could be helpful too.

Thanks and Cheers!

Reader name

Warwick Reader (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Reader, Magub, Arnold
My G G'father Robert Mack Reader was born around 1856. He married a Kate Arnold in 1883 in Yorkshire. His father was James Reader. Do you see any connection with your earlier Readers? Robert Mack Reader came to Australia after 1883.

RE: READER or REEDER family

Don Reader (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: READER
OOOOPS! I made one little mistake. The third son of Robert(I) and Sarah READER was Thomas, not Joseph. His brothers were William and Robert(II). Robert(III), Thomas, and Joseph were the sons of Robert(II).They were baptized in Whitgift (WRY). Robert(III) went to America about 1773 and his sons were Robert(IV), Thomas, Jehu, and Jephthah. Robert(IV) was baptised in Blacktoft(ERY) in 1768. so the others were probably born in America. Our family bible has my 3g-grandfather, Jeptha (note spelling change) READER as born in Feb. 1776. This, no doubt, was the basis of his claim of being "an Englishman" as he was actually born before the Revolution!

RE: Reader name

Don READER (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hello Warwick! Nice to hear from a fellow READER. And with the correct spelling too! No, I am sorry I do not have your Robert Mack READER or his father James in any of my research, so far. But you never know. It seems there were other READER families in Yorkshire before 1800 as I have run into others who do not seem related. I do not see any links to ARNOLD, MACK, or MAGUB families either.

Have you tried finding Robert Mack or James in Parish Registers or the IGI? What location information do you have besides Australia and Yorkshire? Any specific town or parish in Yorkshire? Let me know if you find any other info.

Thanks!
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2003 6:39PM GMT
Hi Don
my Thomas READER was born in Onley Buckingham around 1832/33 any connection to yours?
Lorraine

Re: READER or REEDER family

Posted: 24 Nov 2008 2:04AM GMT
Hey, I think I might be of the same lineage as you, I received some aid on my lineage through the Reeder/Reader genealogy forum, and Linda Roberts helped me connect my line to a Robert Reader of Whitgift, Yorkshire, England.

My line goes like this, from most recent to latest ancestors:

Talford Manus Reeder (Great Grandfather) married to Bessy Burgess

John Hardy Reeder married to Sarah Mellissie Ferrel

James Buchanon Reeder married to Emaline Smith

William Reeder married to unknown

Thomas Reader married to Lucy Mullins

Robert Reader III married to Grace Brigham

Robert Reader II married to Mary Hooten/Houten

and that's as far as I've gotten, I posted my query in the Reeder/Reader genealogy forum for the Overton, Co. TN Reeders/Readers and I was given aid to help me trace my lineage this far back. I can be contacted at ragnarok1227@live.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic