Search for content in message boards

Missing bible

Missing bible

Marianna Williams (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooper, Kelley, Coore, Butler, Porter
Trying to find a Bladen/Sampson county family bible last known to be in the possession of Mrs. James Wallace 3016 Southport Ave. W. Chesapeake VA 23324. This was in 1974. I wrote, but the letter was never answered or returned. Existence of bible based on the following letter which was written by a Mack Porter to my grandmother, Willie Beatrice Porter on 5 May 1974:
Family home (Porter family home) was Kelly, about 30 miles up the Cape Fear river from Wilmington (N.C.) Cemetery in Kelly where Porters are buried. Grandfathers name: William Charles Porter, b. Sept 8 1862, d. Sept. 3, 1918. Grandmother's maiden name Mary Elizabeth Squires. Nancy, Minnie's granddaughter has family bible. Address in 1972: Mrs. James Wallace 3016 Southport Ave. W. Chesapeake VA 23324. Names and dates copied from records of Ruby Porter Henry: Benjamin Cooper b. 1701 d. 1776 married Elizabeth Kelly 1720. Fleet Cooper Sr. b. 1722 d. 1785 married Margaret Coore 1749. Fleet Cooper Jr b. 1750 d. 1828 married Sarah Scott 1777. James Henry Porter Sr. John Butler(*). Young Riles. W C Porter had a sister named Emily. Ruby's younger brother was living in Wilmington in '74.
Posted: 18 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Looks as if your husband and I are related, however, I do not understand the "brothers" John Butler and James H. Young. How can they be brothers with different last names? My ancestor, William C. Porter had the following siblings:

| (2) John B. Porter
| b. 1837/1838, Bladen County, NC
| d. 8 Sep 1908, Prob. Bladen Co., NC
| br. Garden of Memories Cemetery, Bladen Co., NC

| (2) Travis S. Porter
| b. 1839/1840, Bladen County, NC

| (2) James Henry Porter
| b. 14 May 1842
| d. 29 May 1906, Prob. Bladen Co., NC
| br. Old Frenches Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Bladen Co., NC
| & Ann Elizabeth Squires
| b. 18 Apr 1847, Bladen County, NC
| d. 8 Jan 1919, Bladen Co., NC
| br. Old Frenches Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Bladen Co., NC
| m. 24 Jan 1867, Bladen County

| (2) William C "Bill" Porter
| b. 1844, NC
| d. abt 1914
| br. Kelly, NC
| & Mary Elizabeth SquiresÝ
| b. 2 May 1849, Bladen Cnty, N.C.
| d. bef 1900, Kelly, Bladen Cnty., NC
| br. Kelly, Bladen Cnty., NC
| m. abt 1869, Frenches Creek (Church?) FHL

| (2) Emily G. Porter
| b. Nov 1848, Bladen County, NC
| & Alston Allen
| b. 12 Oct 1838, Kelly, Bladen County, NC
| d. 6 Dec 1918, Elizabethtown, Bladen County, NC
| m. abt 1870

| (2) Fleet C. Porter
| b. 1847/1848, Bladen County, NC

| (2) Young R. Porter
| b. 1852, NC

| (2) Alex? Porter
| b. 1854, NC

Would love to exchange information with you. Please note the change in my e-mail address. It is now: mikegene1@earthlink.net. It would be easier to correspond directly from this point on. Looking forward to your response.

Porters

Ann Porter (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I am researching the Fleet Cooper Porter family that was born in the Kelly, N.C. area. He had a several brothers, John Butler, James H, Young and a sister Emily just to name a few. Would love to correspond with you with find out information you have. Fleet Cooper Porter was my husband's great grandfather and am trying to piece together the family.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Ann Porter

Cooper

Kempford (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cooper
Fleet Cooper was a popular baptist minister down in North Carolina. In 1989 during last trip to Lumberton I met a gentleman in the Lumberton Library who knew about this family. He said that his whole name was Fleetwood Cooper, and that he helped to organize several churches, and was very active in baptist doings throughout southeastern North Carolina. I think his name was Stan, and he was doing baptist research. He may have been an employee of the library there. My relatives were involved with Cooper when he organized their church for them

Kemp

cooper/stevens

Posted: 24 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: stevens, cooper, lamb, mckenzie
hello,by any chance do you have any info that your cooper's are related to the stevens I have a Fleet Cooper STevens
and more names.
Zilphia Stevens Married Daniel Cooper and her sister Drusillia Stevens sopostly married a cooper?
there parents are William Stevens Married Mary Fields
thanks for any info,
Margaret

Re: Missing bible

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: Scott
Would be interested in the Scott Family history 1700's in Bladen county. Trying to find out who the Scott family may have been in North Carolina that had daughter Vilet [Violet] born cir 1740's who died in 1774 and left two [or more] orphaned McLellen children. Any help would be greatly apprciated. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions