Descendants of Nathaniel Cockrell
Generation No. 1
1. NATHANIEL4 COCKRELL (MOSES3, THOMAS2, JOHN1)1,2,3 was born Abt. 1763 in Fairfield Co., So. Carolina, and died January 06, 1815 in Chester Co. So. Carolina. He married REBECCA HARRISON3,4,5,6 Abt. 1786, daughter of BURR HARRISON and ELIZABETH DARGAN. She was born Abt. 1762 in Sumter, Chester Co., SC, and died August 1850 in Nouxbee Co. MS..
More About REBECCA HARRISON:
Fact 1: Buried in Soule Chapel Church Cemetery
Children of NATHANIEL COCKRELL and REBECCA HARRISON are:
i. ANN M.5 COCKRELL, m. RICHARD D. BARKER, April 20, 1836, Noxubee Co., MS7.
ii. ELIZABETH COCKRELL.
iii. JOHNATHAN COCKRELL, m. HARRIET HOOD.
iv. MARY COCKRELL, m. CALEB JOINER.
v. NATHANIEL COCKRELL, JR., m. N/A.
More About NATHANIEL COCKRELL, JR.:
Fact 1: Died young
vi. SOPHIA COCKRELL, m. WILLIAM PRATT.
vii. SUSAN COCKRELL, b. Abt. 1796; m. JOHN PRINCE.
viii. WILLIAM COCKRELL, b. 1794; d. March 20, 1839, Nouxbee Co., MS.
More About WILLIAM COCKRELL:
Fact 1: Buried Soule Methodist Chapel Cem., Noxubee Co.,MS
ix. BURR COCKRELL8,9,10, b. February 28, 1799, Fairfield Co., So. Carolina; d. March 11, 1861, Lee Co., Misissipppi; m. MARY JANE ROSBOROUGH11, September 30, 1824, Fairfield Co., So. Carolina; b. Abt. 1806, So. Carolina; d. January 08, 1848, Tupelo, MS..
x. MOSES COCKRELL12,13,14, b. February 28, 1799, Fairfield Co., So. Carolina; d. April 09, 1867, Noxubee Co., MS.; m. CHARLOTTE HILL, 1824, So. Carolima; b. August 08, 1809, So. Carolina; d. October 28, 1864, Noxubee Co., MS..
Notes for MOSES COCKRELL:
Moses Cockrell was a twin brother to Burr Cockrell ,both being born on Feb. 28, 1799.
xi. REBECCA COCKRELL15, b. March 04, 1803, Chester Dist SC.; d. March 11, 1868, Noxubee Co., MS; m. REV. ELISHA CALLAWAY, January 27, 1825.
xii. JAMES COCKRELL16,17, b. 1815, SC; d. May 1861, Macon, Noxubee, MS; m. MARTHA HAYES, April 28, 1835, Nouxbee Co., MS; b. 1816, Georgia; d. Bef. 1861, MS.
1. South Carolina Ct. Minute Book for 1806, Case of the State vs. Nathaniel Cockrell and his son Burr Cockrell, a minor, for interfering with a constable in the execution of his duties......No bill.
2. South Carolina Ct. Minute Book for 1806, Case of the State vs. Nathaniel Cockrell and Burr Cockrell, his son, a minor, (and others) for assualt and battery .....Case dismissed. Note: (Burr born 1789 - 1806 = 17yrs old).
3. John P. Adcock, "Five Generations of the Family of Burr Harrison of Virginia", (Heritage Books, Inc. ISBN 1-555613-378-2).
, Harrison Respository.
5. Deed of Gift - Old Deed Book L, p. 220, Fairfield Co., SC., Dated March 10, 1798: "Burr Harrison, for the natural love and affection for my daughter, Rebecca Cockrel, gives her one negro girl, Moriah."
6. Compiled by Bob Franks, Cockrell Tombstone Inscriptions of Noxubee Co., MS, Rebecca Cockrell died Aug. 1850, aged 78 and is buried in Soule Chapel Church Cemetery in Noxubee Co., MMS. (Noxubee Co. is located about 50 miles south of Itawamba Co., MS. and about 16 mile NW of Greene Co., Alabama.
7. Noxubee County, MS. Marriages for 1834 through 1869, Book A, pg 22.
8. Cockrell Tombstone Inscriptions of Marion Counnty, AL., Itawamba Co. and Lee Co., MS. Compiled by Bob Franks, The Cockrell Connection ISSN 0891-5296, Vol. 3, Issu 4, Burr Cockrell died in the year 1861 and was buried in Union Cemetery eight miles from Tupelo, Lee County, MS.
9. Probate Records- Rockwall Co., TX Oct. 1906, pp: 155-157;p. 159,; pg. 185,; pg. 220, J. R. Cockrell applies for Letter of Adm. of the Estate of Burr Cockrell, dec'd. for an order of sale of 12 shares of stock in the Charlotte Columbia & Augusta Rail Road. Dated June 18, 1881.
10. 1850 Census of Fairfield Co., SC, Burr Cockrell 45James 20Margaret 18.
11. Will of James Rosborough of the District of Fairfield, SC located in Will Book #19, Page #177, Apt. #84 File 228, Will Book #19, Page #177, Apt. #84 Files 228 of Fairfield SC, James Rosborough names his daughter Mary Cockrell in his will.
12. Compiled by Bob Franks, Cockrell Tombstone Inscriptions of Noxubee Co., MS, Moses gave the land for Soule Chapel Church and Soule Chapel Church Cemetery.
13. The Cockrell Connection, ISSN 0891-5295, Vol. 3, Issue 4, pg. 42.
14. 1850 Census of Noxubee Co., MS, 1850 Census, Noxubee County, Mississippi (Oct. 7, 1850) Moses Cockrell was living in the same house with:MORDECAI HARRISON, age 61, male planter; real estate value $200; born in S. C.Susan Harrison, age 51, female; born in S. C. Thomas Harrison, age 22; male; born in S. C. Lucinda Harrison, age 19, female; born in S. C. Joseph Harrison, age 16, male; born in S. C. Moses Cockrell, age 50, male, planter, real estate value, $3000; born in S.C. Charlotte Cockrell, age ?; female; born in S. C. William Cockrell, age 21, male; born in S. C. Thomas Cockrell, age 15, male; born in S. C. Moses Cockrell, age 12; male; born in S. C. Dent Cockrell, age 9, male; born in Mississippi..
15. Holcomb, Brent, Death and Obituary Notices from the So. Christian Advocate 1867-1878, Issue of April 3, 1868, "Mrs. Rebecca Callaway (whose maiden names was Cockrell) was born March 4, 1803, in Chester Dist., SC. and died March 11, 1868, in Noxubee Co, MS., at the residence of her son-in-law, Judge J. J. Beauchamp. She was married to the Rev. Elisha Callaway, now a member of the Mobiile Conference, Jan. 27, 1825. In 1839 she became a resident of Macon."
16. Letter from Annie Cockrell of Macon MS. dated May 12, 1861 to James Rosborough Cockrell which was found in his Bible telling of the death of her father, James a brother to Burr Cockrell, the father of James Rosborough Cockrell/
17. 1850 Census of Noxubee Co., MS, Household #398, James Cockrell, age 35 Planter b. SCMartha Cockrell, age 34 b. GAAnn Cockrell, age 14 b. MS; Laura Cockrell, age 13, b MS., William Cockrell, age 11 b. MS; Harrison Cockrell, age 10, b. MS; Mary Cockrell, age 7 b MS; Rebecca Cockrell, age 5 b. MS; John Cockrell, age 3, b MS; B___, age 2 (male) b. MS.