Search for content in message boards

McPherson/Stewart Mortlach

McPherson/Stewart Mortlach

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2005 6:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching James McPherson and Katherine Stewart/Stuart
married 1800 Mortlach.
Looking for James's parents and his siblings also any information on the other children of this couple.

Children:
Anne 1801
John 1803 m Elspet Bremner (my connection)
James 1805

Many thanks
Margaret

Re: McPherson/Stewart Mortlach

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 12:57AM GMT
Surnames: McPherson, Stewart, Grant, Smith
I am possibly descended from James and Katherine's daughter Ann (b. 1801). If she is my Ann, she married Peter Grant of Cabrach in Feb. 1819. I am descended from their son John (b. ca 1832 in Cabrach, d. Jan. 1907 in Aberdeen)and his wife Elizabeth Smith (b. 1838 in Kincardine O'Neil, d. 1924 in Aberdeen).

Would you know if there is any information concerning James and Katherine's children to see if Ann (1801) is my GGG grandmother?
Thanks
Lara

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 4:00AM GMT
I have a Robt Stewart m to Flora martin 1821 Abernethy, Perth. I suspect this to be a mistake, as they are both born (according to the census info in Abernety, Inverness-shire) He was with the Malitia and had children b in Abernety and Kindcadine, Kinloss, Moray and then in Mortlach, BA..one is a dau Ann McDonald Stewart b 1825 in Kinloss, Moray. But the family settled in Mortach for a while. They are on the '41 census there at Kirktown, Mortlach. On the '51 they show at Fordyce,BA actually Portsoy, and Square.....I would take that to mean , Portsoy, and the Square in the village.
If this is any thing to you I would appreciate hearing from you. With thanks, Goldie

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Martin
This information is from the IGI, and it is a classic example of why information in the IGI is not always reliable.

If you look at the full details, the reference to the 1821 marriage is SUBMITTED.

I note that no corresponding marriage is listed in the index to banns and marriages at Scotland's People, and that the films of the IGI source document "cannot be sent to family history centers and have limited access at the Family History Library". So unless you can get someone to check the source in Salt Lake City, you won't be able to find out where it came from.

It looks to me as if someone who is unaware of the existence of Abernethy and Kincardine has found this information somewhere and has assumed that it refers to the Abernethy in Perthshire.

The moral is, always regard information from the IGI as provisional until you can check it against the original document from which it was taken.

Re Portsoy. Yes, this will be The Square in the town of Portsoy which is in the parish of Fordyce.

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 3:44AM GMT
Hello Lara, do hope that we have a connection to this family.
What we have so far is the following:
James McPherson = 1761 Janet Ross in Mortlach
Children:
Alexander b1761
James b1763
Jean b1765
Francis b1767

James McPherson b 1763 Mortlach married Katherine Stuart 1800
Children:
Anne McPherson b1801 Mortlach
John McPherson b 1803 Mortlach married Elspet Bremner 1830 Inveravon (this is the line for Dian and myself)
James McPherson b1805 Mortlach

Have James,78y and Katherine McPherson,70y in the 1841 census Mortlach, with a child James aged 10years (would think a grandchild)

Katherine Stuart's parents I have as Father: Gawn Stuart ,Mother: Ann McKenzie

Look forward to hearing from you

Margaret

PS Dian is also working on this family

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 3:47PM GMT
Surnames: McPherson/Stewart/Stuart

This my McPherson/Stuart connection, are they linked please.

Isobel STUART
bpt: place:Duffton Mortlach Aberdeenshire Scotland
marr:James STUART when:26 December 1816
place:Forgue Aberdeenshire Scotland
died: 1859 place:
Aberdeenshire Scotland
Father:John STUART Mother:Margaret McPHERSON

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 12:27PM GMT
Sorry don't see any connection with these names

M

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart
Hi
Re Robert Stewart I have a connection Robert b1789, married Flora, and was in the Perthshire Militia. Brother of Henry Stewart b 1792 (my connection) m Janet Cameron

Robert I have down as having another two brothers James (78th regt) b 1782, and John b1786

Parents John b1746, d1844 m Jannet Cameron

and so on, up another couple of generations.

Let me know if you want any information.

Hamish

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 6:16PM GMT
Also a brother George likely born about 1835. In 1872 George ballinger Stewart married Lucy Webb in Australia. He gave his age as 34, but when I did the research, I think he would be closer to 38. George is born Kirktown Mortlach to Stewart and mother is Flora. Lucy Webb has a long story coming with her. If you can connect, will you email direct and then I can put you in touch with the fellow I did the research for in Ireland. He would love that, and you will gain a wonderful story.......Goldie lidogold2@shaw.ca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic